OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I like the looks of them for sure. The reason I selected them is because my local fish store which sells lots and lots of corals and has 2 huge display tanks (1500 and a 750 gallon) tanks. He has 13 on one tank and like 15 on the other and at least 25 -30 more on his coral tanks give or take. All his corals in both his display tanks look stunning. One which is 99% acros.
This just told me success and if hes invested in this many lights they must be good.
I'm running 9 at the moment on Big Blue.
I also run the Ai light on my nano and color and coral growth looks great so far.

Best- Steve

OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut some base rock today. Made a bunch of foundation peices. Tank has close to 800lbs of base rock.
Now the waiting game begins before I add corals... I'm hoping April 1st ... I know alot of people say 4 months... hoping to get thru the uglies in 3.
Added a bunch of Dr. Tim's bacteria a little over a week ago.

20190202_125216.jpg

20190202_125223.jpg

OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Command center is done!
It's all connected to a 1/2 thick acrylic.
There is a large void behind it to hide all pump transformers and wires. I am going to add a computer fan next week as when I opened it up today it was pretty warm in there. The aqua uv transformer box weighs about 35lbs. (Reason for thick acrylic) The panel is held on by 4 stainless 3/8inch post with large stainless washers and wingnuts.

20190203_112133.jpg

20190203_112119.jpg

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Command center is done!
There is a large void behind it to hide all pump transformers and wires. I am going to add a computer fan next week as when I opened it up today it was pretty warm in there. The aqua uv transformer box weighs about 35lbs. (Reason for thick acrylic) The panel is held on by 4 stainless 3/8inch post with large stainless washers and wingnuts.

20190203_112133.jpg

20190203_112119.jpg

Here is an idea for cooling the back, I’m using it in my electronics cabinet and got the idea from @elder45
bce8e71e8f18fd5395b63737e7188f53.jpg

You can hook up to 6 fans to one controller and they come in a bunch of different sizes (they are designed for cooling AV cabinets

OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an idea for cooling the back, I’m using it in my electronics cabinet and got the idea from @elder45
bce8e71e8f18fd5395b63737e7188f53.jpg

You can hook up to 6 fans to one controller and they come in a bunch of different sizes (they are designed for cooling AV cabinets

Love the idea... so I found this controller and fan online... one small problem... fan is to big.
I need a usb fan under 4x4 inches to fit sideways in the wire bay. The one that it comes with is 4.88 x 4.88 grrrr
Still hunting!
Thank you for the suggestion as I already had a different deal going in my amazon cart... will be going this route once I find the right size fan.

OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190203_171903.jpg

20190203_130642.jpg

Did some dosing routing today as well. This is not the finish look. I purchased a large rectangular piece of poly plastic and its machine able.
Going to stick that In the Bridgeport mill and make a holder for the dosing lines.

MarineMalecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Command center is done!

20190203_112133.jpg

20190203_112119.jpg

I love how clean this setup looks - great job!

One thing to watch for...it looks like the probe cords are very close to the power cords. Some people suggest that the electrical current in the power cords induces electrical interference in the probe cords, resulting in inaccurate readings from the probes. I'm not sure if this will impact your setup, but wanted to call it out just in case you experience anomalous probe readings. I've helped mitigate this in my setup using 2 methods to check parameters (i.e. refractometer + salinity probe).

Looking forward to more updates soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how clean this setup looks - great job!

One thing to watch for...it looks like the probe cords are very close to the power cords. Some people suggest that the electrical current in the power cords induces electrical interference in the probe cords, resulting in inaccurate readings from the probes. I'm not sure if this will impact your setup, but wanted to call it out just in case you experience anomalous probe readings. I've helped mitigate this in my setup using 2 methods to check parameters (i.e. refractometer + salinity probe).

Looking forward to more updates soon!

Thank you!

As to the probes,
I've read the same thing.... after I planned the layout. Lol!

I really dont trust probes either. More there just to tell me certain things. I do rely on the temp probe thou. I think I read it messes with salinity and ph the most.
I test with a refractometer as well but do use the probe to tell me if my ato is acting right. I know if my salinity is raising on the probe my ato is probably not kicking on... and if its dropping my ato isnt kicking off till float catches it.

I've been thinking about getting some 1/4inch blue wire loom and run the probe wires thru that to the apex unit.

Good eye sir... I appreciate it as I did read it, but have kinda forgot about it as so much other stuff has had my attention. Just another thing to add to the list! Haha!

Best- Steve

darkrabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No words... following!

If you're using Apex probes I wouldn't trust them at all. The only one that has any accuracy for me (and from what I've seen with other threads) is the temp probe. The pH is off by anywhere between 0.4 and 0.5 at all times, the salinity can't be calibrated reliably and won't maintain calibration apparently. ORP I guess could be accurate but I have nothing to test against. Sad considering the cost of Apex gear. Use the probes more as a delta monitor than for absolute value.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the name factor and price,....that's nuts !
I have a good used Apex to set up soon, so what brand is accurate ?

ua hua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love how much time and thought has went into this build. It’s definitely going to pay off in the long run. Huge hockey fan myself. Blues is my team and we have a USHL team in my town. Have had several players go on to play in the NHL. It’s fun watching them as young kids then turn into stars in the NHL.

OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the name factor and price,....that's nuts !
I have a good used Apex to set up soon, so what brand is accurate ?
Like dark rabbit said... I think only the temp probe is accurate.
The rest I use a guide and test myself.

OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love how much time and thought has went into this build. It’s definitely going to pay off in the long run. Huge hockey fan myself. Blues is my team and we have a USHL team in my town. Have had several players go on to play in the NHL. It’s fun watching them as young kids then turn into stars in the NHL.

Thank you for the kind words...
As to hockey, yea.. we dont miss a beat when it comes to the Lightning. I try to follow the Syracuse Crunch
And your right about watching players grow. Gourde (37) went from zero to hero over night. Love the kid. You know you love hockey when you go to a baseball game and fall asleep by the 2nd inning!
October can never come fast enough!
Blues are a strong team always in the end. We play you all on the 7th, and I know the Schenn-O'Reilly-Tarasenko line is hot right now for the blues. Going to be a good game for sure!

Best-Steve

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back