Our Top 23 reasons your dry rock cycle might FAIL! Well...Maybe just some mistakes to avoid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a new age and true Live Rock is getting harder to come by, which means starting a new tank using dry rock is quickly becoming the standard.

So throw out everything you knew about cycling a tank with Live Rock and start with a fresh perspective on bacteria, ammonia and the entire tank cycle process as a whole!

U

User1

View Badges
Great job the both of you.

Seneye - very underrated tool. Love how you said it is more than a ammonia monitor. Great use case example and later reuse for the price. It really is a must own for hobbyists especially for the out of water alert!

Dry rock. I don't even know where to begin other than to say in this video and a few other recent ones you have put out you are consistently focusing on the "actual" amount of time it takes to mature. So true. So much that every shipment of dry rock should have text stamped in big bold red letters reminding hobbyists of it.

I picked up 150 lbs of dry Pukani from you guys a couple years ago for my 210 gallon upgrade. 2 years later and i would honestly say it is still maturing. So many nooks and crannies. Porous. Takes a very long time for the biological filter to get deep inside. A challenge I say to some when they think about this.

Take a piece of the mature Pukani in your tank. Lift it, and turn it 180 degrees, and look at it. Does the new surface look like it was before you moved it? No. not at all. Now take the same piece and split it in half. The insides will look like you just unboxed it. I understand the deep insides but even the deeper nooks and crannies will not be established as the more visible facing rock. That is what takes the time and when you say 18 or so months it is so very true.

In any case great job. Kudo's for noting Seneye. Kudo's for recommending cycling of rock ahead of time or in parallel. Can't second this enough so very important. Better yet, use TBS or KP live rock!

Again - great job. Virtual adult beverages for you all since I can't buy them for you in person. Or beverages in general :)

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video guys! When I knew I was upgrading, the first thing I did was creating my rockscape. I then cycled them while waiting for my equipment. I also added bacteria and a well-established and clean 8x8x4 marinepure block. The rocks were cycling for about 6 weeks in a separate bin and I was able to add my fish two weeks after adding water.
E6B33178-E7F1-44C7-B5EB-30D2DABBEE8E.jpeg
09C7AD5E-48CA-4012-A211-0DC378EBD2E9.jpeg
6067DD6A-F382-4F3D-8827-4374120CD6F2.jpeg
B29A368F-0656-4EC7-BE4C-E13A1F58FAD5.jpeg
4181EB8A-F14A-41BC-9581-22D9D823FD68.jpeg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Vid guys! I’m going to figure out my aquascape and cycle it until I have my upgrade tank. Also, definitely going to go with the brightwell bacteria clean stuff.

thanks again for the info!

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job the both of you.

Seneye - very underrated tool. Love how you said it is more than a ammonia monitor. Great use case example and later reuse for the price. It really is a must own for hobbyists especially for the out of water alert!

Dry rock. I don't even know where to begin other than to say in this video and a few other recent ones you have put out you are consistently focusing on the "actual" amount of time it takes to mature. So true. So much that every shipment of dry rock should have text stamped in big bold red letters reminding hobbyists of it.

I picked up 150 lbs of dry Pukani from you guys a couple years ago for my 210 gallon upgrade. 2 years later and i would honestly say it is still maturing. So many nooks and crannies. Porous. Takes a very long time for the biological filter to get deep inside. A challenge I say to some when they think about this.

Take a piece of the mature Pukani in your tank. Lift it, and turn it 180 degrees, and look at it. Does the new surface look like it was before you moved it? No. not at all. Now take the same piece and split it in half. The insides will look like you just unboxed it. I understand the deep insides but even the deeper nooks and crannies will not be established as the more visible facing rock. That is what takes the time and when you say 18 or so months it is so very true.

In any case great job. Kudo's for noting Seneye. Kudo's for recommending cycling of rock ahead of time or in parallel. Can't second this enough so very important. Better yet, use TBS or KP live rock!

Again - great job. Virtual adult beverages for you all since I can't buy them for you in person. Or beverages in general :)
Agree with all that. Except for "beverages in general". Well, unless someone has an issue. :) It needs to be adult beverages.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all that. Except for "beverages in general". Well, unless someone has an issue. :) It needs to be adult beverages.

Picking up mine right now LOL. But yeah. I’m going to be investing in a seneye as well

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back