Our Waterbox 25 Peninsula - The Gateway Tank

DesertDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In April of 2015 we broke down the Clarity Plus to prepare for our daughter's next heart surgery. The tank was set up in 2003 and had already helped us through three of her surgeries.

The phosphates always ran a little high, the zoas a little brown but the Miracle Mud ecosystem was forgiving. We routinely ignored the maintenance, rarely did a water change and that's when it always look the best. That crazy tank was our family Dr. Phil just more expensive than he probably would have been. It was always there for us to get lost in. An all night gaze before the lights went out helped heal the heart & soul.

So fast forward... Happy to say our daughter is doing great (crazy blessed) and in October 2022 I talked my hot smokin' wife into setting up a tank for her cat! The Waterbox 25 Peninsula Gateway Tank has been coming along. Wife is addicted again as well so shouldn't be long!

I'll add more details and pics on what we have done with the Waterbox. With the hobby & technology changes over the last eight years I welcome any guidance or feedback.

Until then...

In memory of the Clarity Plus & the rest of the system still taking up space in my garage but ready to go...

02977F6C-5BA9-4991-A9A2-ABF197073D59_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all starts with blue tape, a plan then whatever the wife wants:winking-face:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the Waterbox & the homemade stand on Market Place. The tank was only about a year old and in "like new" condition. The stand was a bonus & solid as could be.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 2.20.21 AM.png

With what I had in mind and my OCD I knew a stand without doors was not going to work though. I couldn't give it away so we made s'mores...

1734BB6C-DD07-4FA2-8FF6-793C5F233A6E_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little stand, new big light. After 6 months I am still loving the Radion XR15 Blues! Good thing because there is no room on this build for the chiller I had to run with my old metal halides.

I'll add some pics of the par readings and the extended AB+ schedule I've been running later. Could really use some input on what schedule and intensity level has worked best from anyone running a similar set up.

OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Stand
In for build updates
Thank you. At the time though it was Tran’s Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 Build (mnml) and the plans he provided for his stand that we built off of. I'm stand builder challenged. Fortunately though, my daughter’s boyfriend has a passion for her, woodworking and keeping me happy. He did an amazing job bringing it all together.

For those looking... I think Waterbox just started offering stands again for the Waterbox 25 Peninsula. Either way, be sure to check out Tran's build & thanks for following along here.

28A33AF1-AAD4-4655-843A-2C96E0ABDD3D_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a good idea to keep track:face-with-monocle:??

My Equipment & Supply List as of 7 April 2023. Livestock list to follow. I have a complete expense breakdown on both I can add later if there's any interest.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 11.47.06 AM.png

OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some of the live rock from our old tank tear down to build the new scape. It had been soaking in the dark for 30 plus days with some heavy flow prior.

We filled the tank with a little sand & water for the first time on the 21st of October. Added some magic to start the cycle & waited….

Game plan was to run without lights for a minimum of 60 days. Not an easy two months with tank toys showing up in the regular deliveries .

DFDC86D2-E5BB-42FE-8476-59ADC844785C.jpeg 5B828B51-7491-47A2-A928-D5ABED46BFC6.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back