Outside saltwater RODI mixing station

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have room to make a mixing station inside my house and I am tired of carrying buckets around. buckets are everywhere. I keep getting the look from my mom for having buckets in every room. anyone have advice for mixing stations outside? I am in Florida so no freezing to worry about. Im going to use Dark containers to block light, keep it covered and I plan to use a cheap used chiller to keep the saltwater at temp when mixing and before adding it to the tank. Do I need to run the chiller all the time or just while mixing and before adding?

All advice appreciated even if you don't have an outdoors mixing

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yep..just spoke to you there ;)

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yep..just spoke to you there ;)

interesting thread. I’m in Idaho where it can get cold, how do you have your mixing station setup since you are in an area where it gets cold?

I was thinking of putting a Y on my RODI. One to DI water storage and another line through my garage to crawl space to living room and into a 16gl ATO reservoir for my 525XL.

my concern is when it gets cold, the 1/4” waterline would likely freeze and damage the line. Any suggestions, pros or cons on the idea?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
interesting thread. I’m in Idaho where it can get cold, how do you have your mixing station setup since you are in an area where it gets cold?

I was thinking of putting a Y on my RODI. One to DI water storage and another line through my garage to crawl space to living room and into a 16gl ATO reservoir for my 525XL.

my concern is when it gets cold, the 1/4” waterline would likely freeze and damage the line. Any suggestions, pros or cons on the idea?
i do not now ,but when lived up north,used compresser with blow gun ,when done ,blow out line,use shut off valves on all three points,was in house ,just drain line outside :)

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i do not now ,but when lived up north,used compresser with blow gun ,when done ,blow out line,use shut off valves on all three points,was in house ,just drain line outside :)

wow, seems like a lot of work. I was thinking about double insulating the 1/4” line. I found some insulation for AC units. I can probably cut it in half and wrap it. It’s my first winter I would run the RODI line through the crawl space across the house.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and also put through pvc pipe ,but still have risk of freezing ,anything outdoor,do yourself a favor,run two lines ,just in case freezes ,can switch over to 2nd line ,make water and replan :)

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may pick up an rodi and storage tanks and do it outside. I have made almost a grand and still have a bunch more hours this week. Hopefully I can get it and then setup a new tank

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ha,i did not realize this was your thread "ACE" thought you were sleepin' ;) keep on banking the cash:cool:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back