Over-engineered and Over-priced Liquid Goldpod Vacation Feeder

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vacation quite a bit. I do realize my beloved fishies would survive just fine on pellet food from my AFS, but I'd love to be able to feed them something better in addition to pellet food. I mean, if I'm eating well on vacation, shouldn't they eat like little kings as well?

My fish love the Nyos Goldpods, which is a liquid copepod mixture. The Goldpods are pretty tiny, and they seem to stay suspended without any stirring. That made me think the liquid pods could make it through some RODI tubing and be dosed into the tank.

I didn't really want to use both heads of a DOS, so I figured it might be fun to design something with 2 Solenoids. While it was a success, it would have been WAY easier if I had just skipped the solenoids and used both of the DOS to accomplish the same thing (but way more costly)

Goldpods Dosing.png

(ABOVE): The concept

Cabinet.jpg

(ABOVE): Actual execution (note that the bottle in the fridge didn't have Goldpods in it yet, I was testing things with RODI when I took this photo). The fridge is a cheap $19 Frigidair and the Hefty container has the RODI in it.

(ABOVE): A quick 1 min video of the thing in action on the first run.

Now, I am NOT a Neptune Apex programming Guru. I spent about 3 days coming up with the programming. The lack of any sort of programming timer made things VERY complicated. I ended up having to create 7 virtual outlets to accomplish this and 3 profiles. I'm certain an Apex Guru could consolidate this somehow, but this does work as it is programmed, and I'm done messing around with the programming.

PROFILES:
  1. "DOS2-Step1" = Advance 7.5mL
  2. "DOS2-Step2" = Advance 60mL
  3. "DOS2-Step3" = Reverse 6mL

OUTLETS:
  1. "SolA" (the one that flows from the refrigerator)
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR-LqFStp1ON = ON Then ON
    If Output VR-LqFStp1OF = ON Then OFF
    If Output VR-LqFStp3ON = ON Then ON
    If Output VR-LqFStp3OF = ON Then OFF​
  2. "SolB" (the one that flows from the RODI)
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR-LqFStp2ON = ON Then ON
    If Output VR-LqFStp2OF = ON Then OFF​
  3. "VR_LiqFeed" (the outlet I use to control the feeding)
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If FeedC 000 Then ON
    Defer 001:30 Then OFF​
  4. "VR-LqFd-Step1ON"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR_Liq-Feed = ON Then ON​
  5. "VR-LqFd-Step1OFF"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR_Liq-Feed = ON Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then ON​
  6. "VR-LqFd-Step2ON"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
  7. "VR-LqFd-Step2OFF"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    Defer 001:00 Then ON​
  8. "VR-LqFd-Step3ON"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
  9. "VR-LqFd-Step3OFF"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    Defer 001:30 Then ON​
  10. "DOS2-left"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR-LqFStp1ON = ON Then DOS2-step1
    If Output VR-LqFStp2ON = ON Then DOS2-step2
    If Output VR-LqFStp3ON = ON Then DOS2-step3​
I don't think I've seen much similar on the boards, so I wanted to post this. I'll feed this way for the next few weeks and should be able to say if it is reliable or not after more trials.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish would have to rely on my neighbor to feed them while I am on a vacation.

Neat application, programming, and execution! Your fish are lucky.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vacation quite a bit. I do realize my beloved fishies would survive just fine on pellet food from my AFS, but I'd love to be able to feed them something better in addition to pellet food. I mean, if I'm eating well on vacation, shouldn't they eat like little kings as well?

My fish love the Nyos Goldpods, which is a liquid copepod mixture. The Goldpods are pretty tiny, and they seem to stay suspended without any stirring. That made me think the liquid pods could make it through some RODI tubing and be dosed into the tank.

I didn't really want to use both heads of a DOS, so I figured it might be fun to design something with 2 Solenoids. While it was a success, it would have been WAY easier if I had just skipped the solenoids and used both of the DOS to accomplish the same thing (but way more costly)

Goldpods Dosing.png

(ABOVE): The concept

Cabinet.jpg

(ABOVE): Actual execution (note that the bottle in the fridge didn't have Goldpods in it yet, I was testing things with RODI when I took this photo). The fridge is a cheap $19 Frigidair and the Hefty container has the RODI in it.

(ABOVE): A quick 1 min video of the thing in action on the first run.

Now, I am NOT a Neptune Apex programming Guru. I spent about 3 days coming up with the programming. The lack of any sort of programming timer made things VERY complicated. I ended up having to create 7 virtual outlets to accomplish this and 3 profiles. I'm certain an Apex Guru could consolidate this somehow, but this does work as it is programmed, and I'm done messing around with the programming.

PROFILES:
  1. "DOS2-Step1" = Advance 7.5mL
  2. "DOS2-Step2" = Advance 60mL
  3. "DOS2-Step3" = Reverse 6mL

OUTLETS:
  1. "SolA" (the one that flows from the refrigerator)
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR-LqFStp1ON = ON Then ON
    If Output VR-LqFStp1OF = ON Then OFF
    If Output VR-LqFStp3ON = ON Then ON
    If Output VR-LqFStp3OF = ON Then OFF​
  2. "SolB" (the one that flows from the RODI)
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR-LqFStp2ON = ON Then ON
    If Output VR-LqFStp2OF = ON Then OFF​
  3. "VR_LiqFeed" (the outlet I use to control the feeding)
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If FeedC 000 Then ON
    Defer 001:30 Then OFF​
  4. "VR-LqFd-Step1ON"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR_Liq-Feed = ON Then ON​
  5. "VR-LqFd-Step1OFF"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
  6. "VR-LqFd-Step2ON"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
  7. "VR-LqFd-Step2OFF"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
  8. "VR-LqFd-Step3ON"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
  9. "VR-LqFd-Step3OFF"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    Defer 001:30 Then ON​
  10. "DOS2-left"
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output VR-LqFStp1ON = ON Then DOS2-step1
    If Output VR-LqFStp2ON = ON Then DOS2-step2
    If Output VR-LqFStp3ON = ON Then DOS2-step3​
I don't think I've seen much similar on the boards, so I wanted to post this. I'll feed this way for the next few weeks and should be able to say if it is reliable or not after more trials.

On all except top off h2o, I installed prefilter on intake side of each dosing pump. Help avoid clogging. Especially if you vacation alot. That's what I'd do if my design

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On all except top off h2o, I installed prefilter on intake side of each dosing pump. Help avoid clogging. Especially if you vacation alot. That's what I'd do if my design
I'm not exactly sure I understand what a prefilter would do for this system? Wouldn't it just clog immediately with the copepods?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need the pod feeder but that fridge would work with my ITC1000F controller as a chiller if I ever needed one. Just drill a couple holes, coil up RO line and silicone around the line.

Very cool!

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, I ran into my first snafu. I fed 1x to a beaker, and it worked perfect. Then I fed my tank 3 more times today. On Feed 3, barely any Goldpods came out, and by Feed 4 there were almost none. I found that the Solenoid at the Goldpods side was all clogged up. Hrmm. I may have to resort to using both heads of the DOS after all. I'll play with it a few more days, but I suspect the solenoid must limit the flow in some way.

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a similar solenoid diagram, it appears the solenoid is not a “straight through” connection. If the Neptune solenoid is anything like this one (and I suspect it is) I’ll have to totally redesign this idea so there is not a solenoid in the Goldpod line at all. https://www.solenoidsolutionsinc.com/infographics/how-a-2-way-normally-closed-solenoid-valve-works/

You may be better off looking for a diaphram valve for the pod side. Something like this:

https://wicvalve.com/Normally-Open-Plastic-Electric-Water-Solenoid-Valve-1-2-Inch-2POG-1-2-D.htm

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERSION 2: I have achieved success with version 2 of this idea. This version 2 uses both heads of the DOS, but it doesn't actually clog.

(Below) - Here's the schematic of version 2:
Goldpods Dosing - Without Solenoid.png

(Below) - Heres a picture of the version 2 actual setup:
Cabinet version 2.jpg

(Below) - Heres a quick 1 min video of Version 2 in action:

This Version 2 I have tested now about 10 times, and looks far more reliable than version 1 (the one with the solenoids that got clogged up easily). I'm pretty sure version 2 will be reliable enough to move to production. I'll be using it for the next few weeks to assess any issues, but this appears rock solid. It's basically the same 3-step programming that I used in the original post, except Step 1 and Step 3 occur on the goldpods head where step 2 occurs only on the RODI head.

I did see where Neptune posted a similar concept using only 1 head a few days ago. They basically advance the liquid food up to the tank, and then reverse it. That leaves a lot of biological material in the tubing. I'd be concerned about the food rotting, or drying up a bit and causing clogs. I think this version 2 idea is far superior to their method.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't pushing the RO back into the pod container start dropping the salinity in there?

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't pushing the RO back into the pod container start dropping the salinity in there?

Well, first of all, the Liquid Goldpods are not really alive, so a salinity change wouldn't really affect them much. Also, I don't think they are suspended in saltwater, it appears to be more of an oil or some other suspension.

But the Version 2 design would actually work for a living suspension if it had to... Step 3 is calibrated to just barely reverse dose enough RODI to push the food back into the refrigerated container, but it stops short of putting any RODI back into the container. In my case, 6.9mL in reverse on step 3 pushes the Goldpods back into the refrigerator, and stops with about 1/4" of tubing still having goldpods. The rest of the tubing up to the T is filled with RODI.

Hope that makes sense.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dhof why do you need the refrigerator for the goldpods? I started using the using the NYOS Chromys specifically because it does not require refrigeration. From what I understand, none of them require it.

Dave

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dhof why do you need the refrigerator for the goldpods? I started using the using the NYOS Chromys specifically because it does not require refrigeration. From what I understand, none of them require it.

Dave
I use the refrigerator because it was only $20 bucks, and I figure that refrigeration for the goldpods would only be better than not being refrigerated.

I only have 5 tiny nano fish in my 40breeder, so a bottle of food will last me something like a full year or more. I believe that Nyos says that their liquid foods do not need refrigeration, but I just figure it can't really hurt anything, and probably helps preserve it better.

That being said, the refrigeration is definitely overkill.... but it sure looks really fancy!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back