Over night death...

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok friday i checked all my params they all looked good and i tested the water again saturday after noon because i didn't have a test for alk and calcium.

everything check awesome. see my other post.

i bought 5 hermits 5 snails 1 coral banded shrimp and a fire shrimp yesterday,
i woke up to a dead shrimp and 2 dead snails any ideas?

params from this mornings check after i cleaned out the dead stuff....

ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - ~5
phosphates - 0
calcium - 420ppm
pH - 8.2
temp - 80

all the hermits are still alive and munching on algae like crazy and the fire shrimp is staying at the back of the tank.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i see you didnt mention what your salinity was.

What was that measurement, and what do you use to measure it?

If you dont own a refractometer, buy one.

How long has the tank been up?

Did you acclimate them? if so, how?

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry salt is at 1.024. i have one of those hydrometers and a thermometer/hyrodmeter both are telling me the same thing.

i used dripp acclamation over about 2 hours in a 5 gallon bucket. they all seemed perfectly fine last night, even feed the shrimp a little tiny bit of mysis and they ate it all in about 2 mins.

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i pull all the remaning livestock and put them in my empty 10gal with a freah salt mix?

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 24 nano cube. it's about 2 weeks old, this is the first livestock i've added. snapping? i dont remeber any snapping sounds?

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carcouses? what do you mean? of the shrimp and snails? if so yes and i pulled them from the tank.

after i pulled the dead animals out i did a 10gal water change,

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could have been a acclimation problem shrimp and snails are the most delicate when it comes to acclimation

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
could have been a acclimation problem shrimp and snails are the most delicate when it comes to acclimation

This is what I would be thinking if everything else is fine...

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long should i leave animals in a bucket/tub when doing a drip acclamation?

Teeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for you. You said you drip acclimated in a five gallon bucket for 2 hours. How much water did you start with? How much water was in there when you finished? You may not have got them acclimated like others here have said. I usually start acclimating with the least amout of water I can and keep coral, fish, snails, or what ever covered and able to move.

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you drip acclimated long enough, did you check the salinity of the water they were shipped in?

Teeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking you listed 4 or 5 items, did they all come out of the same tank? If they came out of different tanks and you poured them into the same container with all the different water mixed that would count as not acclimating them from the start. Was they shipped if so the above still accounts but more so. I never mixed bags, especially when getting them shippedd to you. If I get 10 bags then I have 10 containers to acclimate them in.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These animals seem to be the most sensitive when first adding, Shrimps and snails...hermits are hardy as ever. Plus its a new tank.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is only 2 weeks onld then its cycling and ill bet all readings arent fine. Ammonia and nitrite and nitrate,what are these readings and do you test or someone else. A new tank setup needs 4 to 8 weeks for a total cycle. If you have all the basics in place.

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank did cycle i had 2 places check the water, most of the LR came from a 130g that a local reefer broke down.

the livestock came from a few different tanks, both shrimp were in the same tank crabs and snail from another.

Teeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank did cycle i had 2 places check the water, most of the LR came from a 130g that a local reefer broke down.

the livestock came from a few different tanks, both shrimp were in the same tank crabs and snail from another.

It could still be an acclimation problem because of the 2 different tanks the shrimp and snails came out of. you mixed the water in 1 5 gallon bucket which equals no acclimation to the mix. Then they was acclimated to your tank water. I always do 1 container per bag but if it wasn't shipped and they didn't stay in the bag too long you can do 1 container for tank mates. I use 1 bowl per bag.

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i'll do that next time, i tub per critter, that is most likely where i messed up.

the fire shrimp is still alive and eating stuff like crazy, same with the crabs munching on everything.

i tested the water again before i left for work and everything is still "normal"

ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - ~5
pH - 8.1
S.G. - 1.024
temp - 80
phos - 0
calcium - 420ppm

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back