Overflow emergency! Hardwood floor at risk ;)

CaptainHelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a photo of my rig. The foam is down now because we turned it off for a few minutes, but the foam eventually bubbles up and overflows. We have a hardwood floor so we're in a real pinch and the member of the family who maintains the tank is out of town! Any ideas?

15736141461856209659811767477318.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the protein skimmer overflowing and filling the sump with foam until the sump overflows? If that's what's going on and you don't know how to adjust the skimmer then it will be fine to keep it off until they get back

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a photo of my rig. The foam is down now because we turned it off for a few minutes, but the foam eventually bubbles up and overflows. We have a hardwood floor so we're in a real pinch and the member of the family who maintains the tank is out of town! Any ideas?

15736141461856209659811767477318.jpg

It won't be a problem for the hardwood floor assuming there weren't gallons and gallons of water left on it for an extended period of time. Based on your description, it's some foam from a skimmer, and that shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
CaptainHelen

CaptainHelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to turn just the skimmer off but I'm pretty sure you're right about what's happening. Where should I look to turn that off?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the cord from the protein skimmer(thing making bubbles) to the surge protector and unplug it. Something made it mad. Did you happen to light candles or use any aerosol stuff like air freshener? That’s big no no’s for saltwater aquariums.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to turn just the skimmer off but I'm pretty sure you're right about what's happening. Where should I look to turn that off?

There should be a black electrical cord, follow it to the outlet, unplug it. Call whoever takes care of the tank, tell them there protein skimmer overflowed, they will understand. Unplugging it for a few days shouldn't harm anything.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back