Overflow Options for New Tank

JakeH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning a new tank and am wondering what were the pros/cons of using a HOB overflow vs a corner overflow.

Corner overflows seem to take up a lot of space in the tank and I see many many threads about them leaking. I know that the HOB can lose siphon.

What am I not considering? What would experience say is the better option?

My LFS carries Seapora tanks and my tank budget is limiting be to these two options. I don’t believe I can drill the Seapora for a external box.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have a very good understanding of the pro/cons of each. I will never use another hob overflow because of the fear of them breaking siphon. There is a good reason they are no longer commonly used in the hobby.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best option is, as you seem to know, drilling. I dont know much about Seapora tanks but from googling them just now, it appears the only tempered panel is the bottom.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I didn't mention it, but I've never had an internal overflow leak. I don't remember ever seeing it talked about as a known issue, but I can't say that I was ever researching information about them either.

OP
OP
J

JakeH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I didn't mention it, but I've never had an internal overflow leak. I don't remember ever seeing it talked about as a known issue, but I can't say that I was ever researching information about them either.
That’s reassuring. I’ll leaning that way now if I can’t drill the tanks available at my LFS.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only potential issues I can imagine with internal overflows leaking is due to either a bulkhead seal or a faulty pipe joint. Personally I hate the loss of area they take up in the tank. There are so many really good external overflows available today and drilling the glass is so easy. Getting past the mental part is way harder than actually doing it. lol

I personally went with the Exotic Marine overflow due to the large width of the weir and proper height of the external box. I highly recommend.

There is a method to determine whether the glass is tempered or not. It's something to do with a laptop and polarized sun glasses. Can probably use a cell phone instead. (?) It's on YouTube somewhere.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only potential issues I can imagine with internal overflows leaking is due to either a bulkhead seal or a faulty pipe joint. Personally I hate the loss of area they take up in the tank. There are so many really good external overflows available today and drilling the glass is so easy. Getting past the mental part is way harder than actually doing it. lol

I personally went with the Exotic Marine overflow due to the large width of the weir and proper height of the external box. I highly recommend.

There is a method to determine whether the glass is tempered or not. It's something to do with a laptop and polarized sun glasses. Can probably use a cell phone instead. (?) It's on YouTube somewhere.
I am going with an external on my upgrade. I think they look awesome and do not take up internal space.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back