Overflow options question - would like to have tank water close to top of tank with drilled external overflow

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have an older rimmed tank. I like to have the water line above the bottom of the rim. Is a HOB overflow my only option to have the water line above the bottom of the tank rim or is there a drilled option, which I prefer? Looking into drilled overflow options I see the water level is lower due to the outlet hole being lower than the rim.

This is my first sump setup, still learning. There may be an obvious solution that I am just not aware of yet.

Any advice appreciated.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled and installed my eshopps overflow about 2 months ago. It comes with a drill guide, so you can measure from your desired water line. I had to file the overflow down a little to make it fit under the top brace, but the water line is perfect, its just slightly above the beginning of the rim to look full, but still one inch from the top of the rim.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled and installed my eshopps overflow about 2 months ago. It comes with a drill guide, so you can measure from your desired water line. I had to file the overflow down a little to make it fit under the top brace, but the water line is perfect, its just slightly above the beginning of the rim to look full, but still one inch from the top of the rim.

Is this because the water line is where the vertical lines on the in tank box are and not the drill hole?
Would you mind posting a photo?

You filed down the in tank box or the exterior box, and what part did you file down, the top of the box?

Would I get same result with this overflow?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Planet aquariums tank is a drilled external overflow with trim. My water line is above the trim. The holes drilled are lower but the inside weir teeth are what sets the water line. You might can see how the inside sits higher than the outside
IMG_3294.jpeg
IMG_3293.jpeg
IMG_3298.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Planet aquariums tank is a drilled external overflow with trim. My water line is above the trim. The holes drilled are lower but the inside weir teeth are what sets the water line. You might can see how the inside sits higher than the outside
IMG_3294.jpeg
IMG_3293.jpeg
IMG_3298.jpeg

Thank you. Did you have to modify the box(s)? What overflow box are you using?

jpin863

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have an older rimmed tank. I like to have the water line above the bottom of the rim. Is a HOB overflow my only option to have the water line above the bottom of the tank rim or is there a drilled option, which I prefer? Looking into drilled overflow options I see the water level is lower due to the outlet hole being lower than the rim.

This is my first sump setup, still learning. There may be an obvious solution that I am just not aware of yet.

Any advice appreciated.
I used an exotic marine overflow. And the waterline is right on the edge of the rim
5EA15E40-E2E5-4734-BD99-5D7A13987FA8.jpeg
F51CB5E8-9A81-45BD-8F80-53023AA728AB.jpeg

Last edited:

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Did you have to modify the box(s)? What overflow box are you using?
My tank is made by planet aquariums and the overflow is their product they sell for external overflows, called a tideline I think.

It is made to fit and work with their tanks because they drill the holes where needed, but I did add a rubber gasket on the exterior side to push the box out just another 1/4” because the trim just barely hit the top edge of the external overflow box.
Here is a pic off planet aquariums web page showing how it fits
IMG_5351.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this because the water line is where the vertical lines on the in tank box are and not the drill hole?
Would you mind posting a photo?

You filed down the in tank box or the exterior box, and what part did you file down, the top of the box?

Would I get same result with this overflow?

You can see in the pic below how the box curves under the brace, thats where I had to file. You can see the water line is just slightly above the bottom of the rim, but still a good inch from the top to prevent splashing over.

If I had not filed the box, then the water line would have been below the rim, and I would have bought a new tank to try again.

1685398212747.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back