Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 32L
Filtration type: Canister and Eheim Surface Skimmer 24/7
Lighting: Radion XR15
How long has the aquarium been established: 1 year and 2 months

Water quality
Temperature: 26°C
pH: 8-8.6
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.0265 (Tropic Marin Hydro)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Phosphorus: 0.04ppm
Copper: never tested, but I assume NSW since I've also never dosed it
Other: weekly 10% WC with TM Reef Salt (not from Turkey)

Yesterday I received a small captive bred Blue Sapphire Damselfish. Shipment took 12hours in total. The average daily temperature was 23°C. I dripped acclimated it for 30 minutes, although it came in with the same salinity. It started eating baby brine shrimp and Dr Bassleer Baby Nano right away. However, it died overnight. I didn't find its body, but I did notice a tiny bluish mass coming out of a sun coral polyp.

The only other fish in the aquarium is a 8 months old captive bred Mandarin that is eating quite well. Inverts include a few hermit crabs, a porcelain crab and a Tridacna Maxima.

I've lost a neon goby 2 months ago for an unknown reason. It was eating as well as the Mandarin, and its belly was huuge.

I'm attaching an old image of my nano reef. Although I removed the mesh when taking this particular photo, it does have a custom made one.

89l0va7r72j81.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 32L
Filtration type: Canister and Eheim Surface Skimmer 24/7
Lighting: Radion XR15
How long has the aquarium been established: 1 year and 2 months

Water quality
Temperature: 26°C
pH: 8-8.6
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.0265 (Tropic Marin Hydro)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Phosphorus: 0.04ppm
Copper: never tested, but I assume NSW since I've also never dosed it
Other: weekly 10% WC with TM Reef Salt (not from Turkey)

Yesterday I received a small captive bred Blue Sapphire Damselfish. Shipment took 12hours in total. The average daily temperature was 23°C. I dripped acclimated it for 30 minutes, although it came in with the same salinity. It started eating baby brine shrimp and Dr Bassleer Baby Nano right away. However, it died overnight. I didn't find its body, but I did notice a tiny bluish mass coming out of a sun coral polyp.

The only other fish in the aquarium is a 8 months old captive bred Mandarin that is eating quite well. Inverts include a few hermit crabs, a porcelain crab and a Tridacna Maxima.

I've lost a neon goby 2 months ago for an unknown reason. It was eating as well as the Mandarin, and it's belly was huuge.

I'm attaching an old image of my nano reef. Although I removed the mesh when taking this particular photo, it does have a custom made one.

89l0va7r72j81.jpg
My suspicion- acclimation or fish had something you were unaware of.
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
I see you have zero ammon-nitrate-ph. What test kits are you using ?
How was the fish breathing at release- (fast or normal) ?
Did you see fish eat at purchase ?

oceancowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the stress of shipping will weaken them.....or it had something not obvious wrong with it.

OP
OP

14A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion- acclimation or fish had something you were unaware of.
How was fish acclimated and for how long? As mentioned previously, I drip acclimated it for 30 minutes, doubling the volume in the bag. Ambient temperature was around 24°C.
I see you have zero ammon-nitrate-ph. What test kits are you using ? Red Sea for Ammonia and Nitrate. Hannah for PO4.
How was the fish breathing at release- (fast or normal) ? Normal... it was swimming quite well.
Did you see fish eat at purchase ? No, but as I also mentioned previously, it ate BBS and pellets right away

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pellets not always a pallatable food for small fish but the acclimation is too quick, too soon and did you by chance equalize the salinity of that in the display tank ?

OP
OP

14A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets not always a pallatable food for small fish but the acclimation is too quick, too soon and did you by chance equalize the salinity of that in the display tank ?
As I mentioned, the salinity it came in was the same of my tank. It was used to the pellets since it's the same size and brand used by the breeder, which is the same used to feed my Mandarin (also bred by the same breeder).

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned, the salinity it came in was the same of my tank. It was used to the pellets since it's the same size and brand used by the breeder, which is the same used to feed my Mandarin (also bred by the same breeder).
Whenever a fish is in a bag for a long period, you want to float, open and put in. As soon the air gets in the bag, ammonia (which the fish has been doing in the bag) will spike with the fluctuation of PH.

Ammonia can “burn” gills, which may have contributed to the death.

Since your salinity was the same as bag, just temp is all you need.

OP
OP

14A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever a fish is in a bag for a long period, you want to float, open and put in. As soon the air gets in the bag, ammonia (which the fish has been doing in the bag) will spike with the fluctuation of PH.

Ammonia can “burn” gills, which may have contributed to the death.

Since your salinity was the same as bag, just temp is all you need.

Shouldn't I notice any signs of ammonia induced stress?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes - acclimation and/or ammonia issues would have shown up right away. A new fish that eats well, but then has an issue later on is something else.

Did I understand that you saw the body being ejected by the sun polyp? Tubastraea corals are pretty sticky. Could it be that the damsel, being new to the tank, blundered into the coral and was caught and eaten?

Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so. Maybe rapid breathing, swimming into direct flow….
The delay may have been a contributor, not the final cause.
It was only 30 minutes so hard to confirm.

OP
OP

14A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - acclimation and/or ammonia issues would have shown up right away. A new fish that eats well, but then has an issue later on is something else.

Did I understand that you saw the body being ejected by the sun polyp? Tubastraea corals are pretty sticky. Could it be that the damsel, being new to the tank, blundered into the coral and was caught and eaten?

Jay

I saw what seemed to be a "bluish" mass. I even grabbed it with a pair of tweezers. It had a slight fishy smell (although I suppose that almost anything coming out of a tank would smell like it) and the texture was grainy.

I would suppose that it died and then the Tubastrea grabbed it. I even kept the moonlight running :disappointed-face:.

Edit: I apologize in case someone finds my grammar unusual. English is not my first language.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the route of purchase? Direct from breeder source or through middleman such as online retailer or LFS? A few of the captive bred/raised source highly advise against standard drip acclimation methodologies. Biota for example does not recommend it.

Also things to consider when ordering captive bred/raised fish is preparing for their respected size. Reduce flow if high, acclimation box in case of potential aggression, have on hand variety of food and what they are fed if known, lights off, etc. In some cases an observation holding are may be needed due to the size. I use my refugium more often than not if they are small.

Sorry to hear about the loss.

OP
OP

14A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the route of purchase? Direct from breeder source or through middleman such as online retailer or LFS? A few of the captive bred/raised source highly advise against standard drip acclimation methodologies. Biota for example does not recommend it.

Also things to consider when ordering captive bred/raised fish is preparing for their respected size. Reduce flow if high, acclimation box in case of potential aggression, have on hand variety of food and what they are fed if known, lights off, etc. In some cases an observation holding are may be needed due to the size. I use my refugium more often than not if they are small.

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Although I know the breeder personally, I bought it through a middleman.

It was a extremely small and beautiful specimen (maybe 1-1.5cm), which makes me feel even worse.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

OP
OP

14A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Uncle99
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

Update: I bought two other specimens from another vendor. Followed your advice against using the dripping method. However, I believe that the main culprit was indeed the Tubastrea.​

I noticed how both find a spot at night for "sleeping". One was on top of a Cyphastrea and the other one on the underside of a Montipora. Ended up moving the Tubastrea colony to a QT tank.​

Thanks all for your insights.​

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Uncle99
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

Update: I bought two other specimens from another vendor. Followed your advice against using the dripping method. However, I believe that the main culprit was indeed the Tubastrea.​

I noticed how both find a spot at night for "sleeping". One was on top of a Cyphastrea and the other one on the underside of a Montipora. Ended up moving the Tubastrea colony to a QT tank.​

Thanks all for your insights.​

Cant see Tubastrea catching and consuming a healthy fish.
I would think it found a piece moving through the current.
Really nice coral those orange polyps, very deep colour.

Back