Oversized skimmer problem?

Cloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My LPS/Soft tank get a little over 6 months old, total system water volume around 250litre with the display tank of less than 200litre. I'm using Bubble Magus A8 skimmer rated for 700-900L and a month old chaeto refugium. Corals not heavy stocked, but a little over medium with two clowns, one cardinal, one blenny and a starfish. I feed reefroids just b4 my 10% weekly water change. My phosphate level hit 0.5ppm in couple weeks ago and now standing at 0.25ppm. Nitrate is fine with 10ppm, dropped from 25. I don't understand why the phosphate is in high side despite my oversized skimmer. Does the oversized skimmer actually pull out nutient? Any problem there for using the oversized skimmer. Please to share your experience. Thanks.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers look really good. I also have a slightly oversized skimmer on my 29g. An eshops x120. My phos stays at .03-.04ppm and nitrate 1-3ppm

OP
OP
C

Cloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched on the internet and everywhere, the recommended Po4 level is under 0.1. That's why, I'm worried on the algae though they are not the display tank yet. It's look like 0.25ppm is good. Thanks everyone.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer that is oversized by about 2x. Got it and turned it on about 3mo after setting up the tank. I ended up with too few nutrients and sunk into a dino outbreak. The skimmer has been off now for almost 6 months.

There are probably many things that contributed to the position I got in, but I haven't discounted an oversized skimmer as a contributing factor.

Back