Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am setting up a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank these are my specs:
  • Fluval Evo 13.5
  • AI Prime 16hd
  • Siccee Silent Return pump
  • Duetto ATO
  • Aqamai kps Powerhead
  • Media Basket (filter floss, chemipure, rock)
  • Media Basket 2 (want to swap with protein skimmer or refugium)
My dream nano would have a clownfish pair, a royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby paired with a pistol shrimp. I am wondering if that is possible in this size of the tank, or should I just stick with 1 clown and the royal gramma? Please let me know your thoughts on how you would stock this tank. thank you!

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as you add them over the course of a few months, i don't think its too much. but you should know that clowns and yellow watchmans can get big.
What order should I add them? I am planning on the gramma first as I want a designer clownfish which could take a while

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s going to matter too much with this bunch but I would probably add YW, clown, and then gramma.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not recommend keeping a gramma in a 13 gallon tank... Unless you get a small one and plan to upgrade to a larger tank in the next year.
Yeah this will be my only tank for about 4-5 years. What is the reason for no gramma in a 13 gallon? Are they too big or too aggressive?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this will be my only tank for about 4-5 years. What is the reason for no gramma in a 13 gallon? Are they too big or too aggressive?
Look up the care requirements and suggested tank size for an adult...

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not so much that they’re aggressive or even big. It’s that in a 13.5 gallon tank, a royal gramma will claim everything in the tank as its territory. Even if it was the only fish in there and there was no rock in the way the tank’s footprint is far too small for it to thrive. All basslets are pretty much out in a tank that small.

Think of it this way. If you were locked in a kitchen from now on how would you feel? Would you thrive? What if we locked five more people in there with you?

If you want your animals to thrive I’d google search terms like “fish for a 13.5 gallon tank”. Search here on R2R as well. Many here also have 13.5 gallon tanks.

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’d be able to keep your original stocking list with the filtration you’re proposing. Aggression with the clowns might be an issue. Personally, I would just do the one clown instead of two. If you can get a smaller YWG, he’d probably stay under 2 or 3 inches for a year at least. Yasha’s are pretty readily available these days and stay much smaller if you don’t want to swap the YWG once he gets too big.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about a firefish and a pink streak wrasse maybe a clown goby
Most wrasses need a minimum of 30 gallons. Even my 90 gallon tank, which is 29” x 29” x 25” cube, has just enough space to handle a pair of wrasses such that they’d thrive.

I’m holding out for a Cortez rainbow wrasse. I currently have two yellow tailed blue damsels, two clownfish, and a yellow Coris wrasse. One more wrasse and a mandarin dragonette, as well as several mollies I’m growing out and that’ll be it for the cube.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wrasses need a minimum of 30 gallons. Even my 90 gallon tank, which is 29” x 29” x 25” cube, has just enough space to handle a pair of wrasses such that they’d thrive.

I’m holding out for a Cortez rainbow wrasse. I currently have two yellow tailed blue damsels, two clownfish, and a yellow Coris wrasse. One more wrasse and a mandarin dragonette, as well as several mollies I’m growing out and that’ll be it for the cube.
pink streak wrasse are very small and well suited to a nano tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back