Overwhelmed by all the copepod choices… What should I get? Other questions…

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week ago I purchased tisbe and apocyclops copepods from my lfs. To be honest, I wasn’t sure why I needed one over the other. I just know they need to build up in my aquarium for a ruby dragonet and I also like the added benefit of them eating algae and detritus. Any who, I decided to try and buy some online and I’m quite a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. Zooplankton? Phytoplankton? Tisbe? Apocyclops? Zooxanthellae? Etc…etc… Any recommendations on the best place to buy them? Recommendations on which are the best to buy? Are they truly as useful as some say outside of them being a good food source for some fish? How many do I need to buy? How often do I have to buy them? Best place to buy them? Best bang for my buck?

Feel free to add any copepod education. I’ve watched several YouTube videos and all everyone tells you is that copepods are good but I’m not quite sure about all the different types and mixes of copepods stores are offering. Not sure if a ruby dragonet cares for one over the other.

FCE23055-3AB1-419D-9D9F-5BC20B231E14.png CB2C7899-8B5A-4844-BE58-018A1FCD3286.png E70FF7AE-0DC7-41C1-982A-AD30DA532844.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend buying some good live rock. I’m still a little dubious about bottled pods really establishing themselves in our tanks, but with even just a pound of good live rock, you’ll have pods forever (assuming you allow them to establish themselves before adding fish that will eat them, and ensuring that there are areas in your tank where fish can’t get them (either a refugium, or a pod hotel hidden behind some rock work, or some macro algae in the DT).

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tisbe is the better option for the dragonet.

But let me tell you the most effective way to get copepods.

First, phytoplankton is the building blocks of the entire ocean food chain. It’s all the way on the bottom which means it indirectly feeds all the animals. Phytoplankton dosing causes an extreme growth in the population of copepods. Pods directly eat the phyto. Doesn’t matter whether you buy live, frozen, dried etc. Phyto is phyto. Dose it regularly and you will have copepods.

Unless you previously seeded with copepods, they will need to be introduced into the tank. 99% of people have copepods without ever directly introducing them in those expensive bottles...how? Live rocks, corals, inverts, drops of water on the fish you buy etc.

But what happens if you start your tank from dry rocks, quarantine everything in the tank prior to adding, or simply want to rush the process? You introduce them.

Go to your LFS and ask for $5 worth of cheato. It will be LOADED with pods and hitchhikers to provide biodiversity.

Put that ball anyway. In the sump, in the display inside a little container with holes punched all around for water circulation.

Continuously dose your phytoplankton and they will grow.

Now, you don’t want to get a mandarin yet. You should at minimum wait a few months for the population of copepods to grow large enough to sustain the mandarin. Provide enough rocks in the tank so the copepods find shelter and reproduce.

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added them all, one by one. But it’s up to you, they are not necessary, but I just like the biodiversity in my tank. They will eventually get in your tank anyway as hitchhikers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend buying some good live rock. I’m still a little dubious about bottled pods really establishing themselves in our tanks, but with even just a pound of good live rock, you’ll have pods forever (assuming you allow them to establish themselves before adding fish that will eat them, and ensuring that there are areas in your tank where fish can’t get them (either a refugium, or a pod hotel hidden behind some rock work, or some macro algae in the DT).
I definitely can put them in the refugium in the back of the tank.

I have life rock, guessing that’s not the same thing as live rock.

Upvote 0

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to routinely add copepods and feed your tank phytoplankton, we recommend you continue to buy from your LFS.

If you ever have any questions about our live feeds and phyto, please feel free to reach out.

Have a great week,
Chad

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to routinely add copepods and feed your tank phytoplankton, we recommend you continue to buy from your LFS.

If you ever have any questions about our live feeds and phyto, please feel free to reach out.

Have a great week,
Chad
I actually bought the Reef Nutrition Tigger pods from my lfs today before seeing your response. It was a slight bit cheaper at the store then on your website.

Upvote 0

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added them all, one by one. But it’s up to you, they are not necessary, but I just like the biodiversity in my tank. They will eventually get in your tank anyway as hitchhikers.
Must have taken forever adding each pod individually XD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back