OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent job. This is how I wish my tanks looked!

thanks saltydad, I feel it's still a million miles away from some of the tanks you see on Reef2Reef, including the nanos! But i'm pleased with the progress so far and am delighted to share it with you all!

I really like the setup. Ideally I would love to have a ledge like that on my new build. Give spot to have the little ones sit and check out the magic. I also like the shallow system of tank you chose. Excellent build sir.
Thanks ReeferMan, the ledge has so many uses, it really does. It's a great place for little ones to sit, adults to place their elbows, a great place for a cool drink when you bring a bar stool up to the tank. Maintenance and fragging becomes a breeze when you have it too. I've not once regretting having it.

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning...did you put a fuge in the sump? If so, how did you set it up?

Hi Blue,

I do have a refugium in the sump, it includes a small layer of sand, some live rock, Mangroves, Chaeto and Dragons Breath.

Here is a photo of the sump baffles and set up. The drains enter the far left chamber, water rises into 3 filter socks (if the socks get blocked with detritus the baffles are made so the sump doesn't flood and flow continues), passes through the socks , through a bubble trap and into the Fuge. After the refugium there is a final bubble trap before the last chamber which houses my very lowly Tunze skimmer which really needs upgrading. The baffles have been re-done since this photo to make the last chamber larger to incorporate a larger skimmer when the time comes.

This is how the refugium looked when first set up with my tiny amount of Chaeto

This is how it looks nowadays, this was a quick iPhone snap earlier.

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet set up. Do you find it hard to balance the low nutrient system with how much the moorish eats? I've always wanted one just wasnt sure if it would lead to algae problems.

hey James. The Moorish Idol eats a lot and OFTEN…..but so far it hasn't been too much of a battle with high nutrients. I currently don't have a large amount of fish, (Kole, MI, Six Line Wrasse, Firefish, Green Chromis and Lawnmower Blenny) so feedings aren't too heavy.

My Phosphates stay low (.01-.04), which i'm happy with and my Nitrates always read zero. Only algae growth is on my Turf Scrubber and small amount in the refugium. The crazy thing is, I have a severely underperforming skimmer on my system, I really need to invest in something larger, but when i'm having the success, growth and colors i'm having with the current set up i'm loathed to spend that money on a new skimmer.

Any thoughts? Maybe I actually have higher nutrients that I'm reading but my ATS is pulling them out of the water?…….in which case, it's doing its job!

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome and love the dals! I have one of my own, sweet looking stand and seems like the tank is coming along great!

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the details Owen....I'm upgrading to a 125 with a DIY stand and DIY sump. The idea of adding the shelf on the stand is outstanding, even my wife went "wow"!!! I plan on adding them to my build, thanks for the idea. I drilled a 55g for the sump, plan on adding the fuge in the middle chamber, but seen so many different set ups, especially the sand vs. DSB vs. mud options and advice that it's mind boggling. I like your set up, thanks for sharing that as well!! Regards......Sal

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful System! Excellent dimensions and amazing job on the stand. Congratz!

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome and love the dals! I have one of my own, sweet looking stand and seems like the tank is coming along great!

Thank you! They're just fantastic dogs, that have a undeserved bad reputation. We'd never have any other breed now!

Thanks for the details Owen....I'm upgrading to a 125 with a DIY stand and DIY sump. The idea of adding the shelf on the stand is outstanding, even my wife went "wow"!!! I plan on adding them to my build, thanks for the idea. I drilled a 55g for the sump, plan on adding the fuge in the middle chamber, but seen so many different set ups, especially the sand vs. DSB vs. mud options and advice that it's mind boggling. I like your set up, thanks for sharing that as well!! Regards......Sal
Sal, glad i could inspire! Cannot take all the credit though, I saw the ledge idea on a build about a year ago and used the same idea! Just remember, the frame of your stand and must still support the outer rim of the tank, don't just build an oversized stand and drop a tank on it. Build the frame to match the tank diameter and then build outwards.

Beautiful System! Excellent dimensions and amazing job on the stand. Congratz!
Thanks Dowtish, this was actually my first attempt at any woodworking since high school wood class 12-14 years ago. So I was rusty to say the least, made many mistakes which I notice every day but i'll learn from them when it comes to building another stand in the future!

If I could, i would actually change the dimensions, with my minimalist style aquascape I have a large amount of empty space in the top 5-10" of the tank. If I was to start again, I would have gone 48x48x18 instead of 48x36x24. I did get a price from Miracles for that dimension tank, but the price was too much for me.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is looking amazing, and I'm glad I found it perusing through random threads!

I love the dalmatians as well, that's a great photo. I love everything, the spot you chose for the tank in it's location, the tank size, the shelf, it's all really well done. I think once your corals grow out, you will not be as unhappy with your height, although it's always nice to have deeper or longer! Although I really like the idea of your frag tank plumbed in, and the fact that you're taking the time to properly QT your fish, I think the room looked better without the rack right next to it. I'm probably jealous, my fiance would never let that fly, no matter how much convincing!

Your photos are really crisp, what kind of camera or editing software are you using?

Keep the updates coming!

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sal, glad i could inspire! Cannot take all the credit though, I saw the ledge idea on a build about a year ago and used the same idea! Just remember, the frame of your stand and must still support the outer rim of the tank, don't just build an oversized stand and drop a tank on it. Build the frame to match the tank diameter and then build outwards.

Gotcha, thanks Owen!!!!

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is looking amazing, and I'm glad I found it perusing through random threads!

I love the dalmatians as well, that's a great photo. I love everything, the spot you chose for the tank in it's location, the tank size, the shelf, it's all really well done. I think once your corals grow out, you will not be as unhappy with your height, although it's always nice to have deeper or longer! Although I really like the idea of your frag tank plumbed in, and the fact that you're taking the time to properly QT your fish, I think the room looked better without the rack right next to it. I'm probably jealous, my fiance would never let that fly, no matter how much convincing!

Your photos are really crisp, what kind of camera or editing software are you using?

Keep the updates coming!

Hi YHSublime, thanks for all the compliments, and I couldn't agree with you more about the Frag tank/light rack taking away from the aesthetics of the room and the tank.

I really had to weight out the pro and cons. The pro's of having the system tied together and all the saved money on not needing to dose and have equipment for two systems really outweighed the lost aesthetics from the frag tank being next to the display.

I actually lowered the light rack last week about 2 week, it certainly improves the look, but still not perfect!

Thanks again for your comments and honesty!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting up pics and sharing, I'm big fan of constant updates!

I can understand the pro's and con's, and it works for you for now. I wouldn't be fooled into thinking you wont have to start dosing. At some stage you will have to start adding something to support your calc and alk consumption, especially with all that pretty SPS you have in there starting to grow.

It's a beautiful system, and you've done it right, I look forward to watching it grow out.

Would you mind telling me what kind of camera of editing software you're using, your photos are great!

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting up pics and sharing, I'm big fan of constant updates!

I can understand the pro's and con's, and it works for you for now. I wouldn't be fooled into thinking you wont have to start dosing. At some stage you will have to start adding something to support your calc and alk consumption, especially with all that pretty SPS you have in there starting to grow.

It's a beautiful system, and you've done it right, I look forward to watching it grow out.

Would you mind telling me what kind of camera of editing software you're using, your photos are great!

Hi Sublime!

Sorry for confusing you, I am currently dosing the system, with 2 part. Have been since its setup. I had meant having the two tanks tied together would require I only need to dose the one system and not have to worry about a separate system etc.

I use the low end Nikon SLR, the D3000. Got it a year ago online for a steal. I use the standard lens that comes with it, but i REALLY need a Macro lens, but i've been putting all my spare cash into the system recently. I use a Mac, so i use their Aperture software. I usually shoot in RAW format on manual mode and adjust shutter speed and white balance white taking photos. I'm still learning how to use it and really hope to improve the shots once I get a Macro lens. :)

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sublime!

Sorry for confusing you, I am currently dosing the system, with 2 part. Have been since its setup. I had meant having the two tanks tied together would require I only need to dose the one system and not have to worry about a separate system etc.

I use the low end Nikon SLR, the D3000. Got it a year ago online for a steal. I use the standard lens that comes with it, but i REALLY need a Macro lens, but i've been putting all my spare cash into the system recently. I use a Mac, so i use their Aperture software. I usually shoot in RAW format on manual mode and adjust shutter speed and white balance white taking photos. I'm still learning how to use it and really hope to improve the shots once I get a Macro lens. :)

Not to be all over your thread, I'll keep this short.

Thanks for the reply. I understand now what you mean about dosing 2 different systems.

I have a Nikon D90 that I'm still trying to figure out how to use properly. You've done a pretty great job. I also use a mac, and use the standard iPhoto editing software. A macro lense is on my list, but there is always something that comes up instead, like resin and carbon filters for the RO, or 2 part, or an Achilles Tang, haha.

I should probably work with my white balance a bit more, as I usually just switch my LED's to all white, and take the blues out when I shoot, but I'm lazy like that!

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be all over your thread, I'll keep this short.

Thanks for the reply. I understand now what you mean about dosing 2 different systems.

I have a Nikon D90 that I'm still trying to figure out how to use properly. You've done a pretty great job. I also use a mac, and use the standard iPhoto editing software. A macro lense is on my list, but there is always something that comes up instead, like resin and carbon filters for the RO, or 2 part, or an Achilles Tang, haha.

I should probably work with my white balance a bit more, as I usually just switch my LED's to all white, and take the blues out when I shoot, but I'm lazy like that!

No problem at all!

I use iPhoto every now and then, when edited I will increase the blacks slightly, adjust the brightness and contrast if needed and i change the temperature to adjust the colors closer to the real thing. I also raise my LEDs in brightness, push blues to 100% and increase the whites a lot too. All the recently photos were with very high whites……but the Nikon never captures it that way!

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent news on the tank:

I moved my Ocellaris Clown pair and Dispar Anthias from quarantine to the display tank this weekend. The Clowns are currently hosting in my bubble tip Anemone and seem happy, I need to try and grab some photos.

I am concerned their quarantine period may not have been thorough enough with as only 4 days after they moved over I have noticed white spots on both the Kole and Moorish Idol. Concerning to say the least. There aren't too many of them and I have seen no signs of any itching or discomfort. I am going to keep a close look at them over the next few days, my hope is it's not Ich and just passes and is NEVER seen again. My gut tells me it's Ich, it's too coincidental that days after new fish are introduced spots appear. Pretty sure I failed with duedilligance in the quarantine process, which is really frustrating. Which means I could be looking at catching all fish and going fallow for 10-12 weeks, not fun, considering I did this not long after the tank was set up in April.

I'll keep my fingers cross and you posted.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating it is. I've been through it myself. Pull everything and treat, then qt everything new and it still came back. I gave up on thinking it can be completely removed. I just have a hard time treating all new fish with copper even if they aren't showing any signs. I just feed like crazy now and hope for the best.

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in August & October I adopted some rescue corals from a local reefer who had become so busy with home life his reef couldn't get the attention it deserved. Here are a couple of the success / almost success stories.

Here is an Acro colony, wasn't in the worst state, very, very brown and was showing signs of STN from the base. I received this in August.

Here it is as of October/November. No longer looks brown, even under whites and has lovely purple tips.

This Birds of Paradise Birdnest was in a bad way. I received this early October. Just a month prior the previous owner had fragged me a 2" piece and ever since then the colony had declined. I took it from him in the hopes I could save it.

This was taken today, 2 1/2 months on. There are many now dead branches, but there are also very, very healthy parts showing new growth and growth over the previous skeleton. Sorry for the poor quality, this was a iPhone shot!

Last edited:
OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating it is. I've been through it myself. Pull everything and treat, then qt everything new and it still came back. I gave up on thinking it can be completely removed. I just have a hard time treating all new fish with copper even if they aren't showing any signs. I just feed like crazy now and hope for the best.

Well I'm still keeping a close eye on the fish, but the next day I couldn't see the spots I had previously. I've studied them daily since and nothing. Were my eyes deceiving me? I will keep a close on eye on them over the coming weeks and ensure to not add new recruits to the quarantine until i'm confident we're Ich free!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back