Oxford Reefkeeping Society

KalamazooReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m Nick, a reefkeeper who hails from Michigan, but will be living in Oxford, MS for the forseeable forever. Really love this city and enjoy being in Mississippi. However - there’s an unfortunate lack of cohesion and/or support systems between reefers in this state. I know that there’s a reefkeeping club that covers Eastern MS and Western AL, and they seem like good folks who would welcome anyone. The problem is geography. Mississippi is a bigger state than many envision when they think about it. I know we have a heavy hitter of an LFS in the form of Jackson Fish & Coral, but it’s in Jackson - that’s a haul from Oxford, and from many other regions of the state. So far, I’ve found a small LFS in Tupelo and heard mixed things, and I know that a marine-centric fish store named Desoto Aquatics exists in Southaven, MS. Desoto will likely be my go-to source, as it’s about an hour from me, and the only marine-centric store until you get into the Memphis area. I’ll be honest, I really have little interest going all the way up and into Memphis to pursue my hobby, and it seems that the answer for the struggling reefers in Northwest Mississippi seeking a community or marine source is “Head to Memphis”.

I think there’s a different answer. I’ve spoken to friends who used to be in the hobby, and they relied on their local fish club to trade corals and knowledge and provide support for one another constantly. I think we folks in Northwest MS need something like this. Therefore, I’m going to take the initiative and make a start toward the goal of establishing such a community in the area. I’m now starting the Oxford Reefkeeping Society.

This hobby isn’t easy. And honestly, it’s more of a lifestyle than a hobby. It truly impacts your life and instills a sense of responsibility and need for support. I want to try to build a small community of reefers seeking to exchange knowledge, corals, fish, and support for the hobby, centered in Oxford and reaching out to the surrounding small towns in the area. Oxford seems an excellent centerpoint for the Northwest MS region, and those living in surrounding towns can all reach it pretty easily. Sadly, there is no marine-centric LFS here, and even our Petsmart offers limited fare for the saltwater hobby, so Oxford reefers and those in the local area have a definite need for a group like this.

In the coming days/weeks, probably after I get deeper into my new career and finish unpacking boxes and stabilizing my reef tank, I’ll create Facebook and Instagram pages for the Oxford Reefkeeping Society, to improve the visibility of the group. Maybe I’m the only member for a while. Maybe the group only ever grows to half a dozen dedicated reefers. I’m not sure how much potential for growth there is. All I know, is that I can’t be the only one in this area of the world relying on the shaky logistics of USPS and a dose of luck to keep my reef tank alive. If you’re up here in Northwest MS, fighting this same fight, and not able to make distant drives to other regions of the state to find fellow reefkeepers, throw a post up in response to this thread. Let’s get a community rolling around here.

Best,
Nick

FYI - my personal reefing page can be found at Instagram, where my handle is KalamazooReefer.

OP
OP
KalamazooReefer

KalamazooReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Tupelo here
Not super far! I’ve done some thinking on this, and considering the apparently really low numbers of reefers in and around Oxford (practically none, it seems, or at least nobody who browses this forum), I’m going to broaden this group and call it the Northern Mississippi Reefkeeping Society. I figured there had to be a couple people over in Tupelo, and you confirm that thought. It’s tough up here, brother. Towns are pretty spread out, very little LFS frequency, long drives to other clubs and swaps, etc. I’m dedicated to getting something going for the few of us up here who are dedicated to this hobby. Look for a post in the near future about a Northern Mississippi Reefkeeping Society. I’m working on a Facebook page and other social media. Maybe I’ll find some more people that way. Long term, I want to bring an event (or create an event) in Tupelo or Oxford, even if it’s just a few of us trading some frags over beers.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds great. Would love a North MS group for swaps etc.

OP
OP
KalamazooReefer

KalamazooReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds great. Would love a North MS group for swaps etc.
Awesome! I’ll make a dedicated post tonight. I moved here not long ago. Still getting the roots down and leveling out my new tank. But will get things rolling before long. Nice to hear a couple locals chime in, felt like I was on an island for a while there.

Jogging stroller dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nate in Jackson. Not close but looking for info as I am newer to the reef keeping community. Sounds like a great idea

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to the party, but I'd love to see a north ms group form. You aren't lying about the local shop situation though. I'm less than impressed with gone fishin in tupelo. My wife and I do a lot of our shopping at desoto aquatics. It's a drive for sure. I never thought I would suggest going to petco, but the older woman that usually maintains the saltwater tanks at the tupelo store, her and her husband are reefers and will try her best to take care of you. Looking forward to seeing something materialize.

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update so far? Looking forward to connecting with some local folks.
I made one because i looked it up and it didnt exist, Im not sure if he made one and deleted it or if he just never made it. I called it North Mississippi Reef keepers

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m Nick, a reefkeeper who hails from Michigan, but will be living in Oxford, MS for the forseeable forever. Really love this city and enjoy being in Mississippi. However - there’s an unfortunate lack of cohesion and/or support systems between reefers in this state. I know that there’s a reefkeeping club that covers Eastern MS and Western AL, and they seem like good folks who would welcome anyone. The problem is geography. Mississippi is a bigger state than many envision when they think about it. I know we have a heavy hitter of an LFS in the form of Jackson Fish & Coral, but it’s in Jackson - that’s a haul from Oxford, and from many other regions of the state. So far, I’ve found a small LFS in Tupelo and heard mixed things, and I know that a marine-centric fish store named Desoto Aquatics exists in Southaven, MS. Desoto will likely be my go-to source, as it’s about an hour from me, and the only marine-centric store until you get into the Memphis area. I’ll be honest, I really have little interest going all the way up and into Memphis to pursue my hobby, and it seems that the answer for the struggling reefers in Northwest Mississippi seeking a community or marine source is “Head to Memphis”.

I think there’s a different answer. I’ve spoken to friends who used to be in the hobby, and they relied on their local fish club to trade corals and knowledge and provide support for one another constantly. I think we folks in Northwest MS need something like this. Therefore, I’m going to take the initiative and make a start toward the goal of establishing such a community in the area. I’m now starting the Oxford Reefkeeping Society.

This hobby isn’t easy. And honestly, it’s more of a lifestyle than a hobby. It truly impacts your life and instills a sense of responsibility and need for support. I want to try to build a small community of reefers seeking to exchange knowledge, corals, fish, and support for the hobby, centered in Oxford and reaching out to the surrounding small towns in the area. Oxford seems an excellent centerpoint for the Northwest MS region, and those living in surrounding towns can all reach it pretty easily. Sadly, there is no marine-centric LFS here, and even our Petsmart offers limited fare for the saltwater hobby, so Oxford reefers and those in the local area have a definite need for a group like this.

In the coming days/weeks, probably after I get deeper into my new career and finish unpacking boxes and stabilizing my reef tank, I’ll create Facebook and Instagram pages for the Oxford Reefkeeping Society, to improve the visibility of the group. Maybe I’m the only member for a while. Maybe the group only ever grows to half a dozen dedicated reefers. I’m not sure how much potential for growth there is. All I know, is that I can’t be the only one in this area of the world relying on the shaky logistics of USPS and a dose of luck to keep my reef tank alive. If you’re up here in Northwest MS, fighting this same fight, and not able to make distant drives to other regions of the state to find fellow reefkeepers, throw a post up in response to this thread. Let’s get a community rolling around here.

Best,
Nick

FYI - my personal reefing page can be found at Instagram, where my handle is KalamazooReefer.
Also in Oxford.

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my anemone is kinda dying that I got yesterday. If you are still here could you maybe save it? Like putting it in your tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back