Oxydators and their fight against parasites.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at least its on the horizon :) that's awesome.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patryk we need all readings taken from a reef tank or at least reef water

we have to mimic the organics that are inherent in these swirling systems as a potential oxygen binder. so any type of test like baseline before oxydator, then with, then next day after removed would be helpful and if someone can do the same test with liquid peroxide used at 1 ml per ten gallons 3% that'd be amazing data to have. *if someone was already doing peroxide anyway, you don't have to add it to a reef if not already doing so.

in any case if an actual reef can't be tested for any of these, water in a drawn-off container will be a fair indicator but it needs to be old tank water taken from a water change. don't use new mix saltwater or freshwater studies for reef tank extrapolation

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Saliferts are essential useless in trying to get real O2 readings. The test you need, LaMotte is not cheap. Worse still it is cheap than the electronic tests. This is one thing that the big aquariums can afford but the little guys can't. :(

Patryk1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tests are you referring to?
for now, while reading your topic, I started to be interested in it. I mean salifert oxygen. further reading the topic, I came across information that salifert oxygen is of little use and I have to test the aquarium water with another test
I would like to apologize for grammatical mistakes, translator ... I am still learning marine aquaristics

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salifert O2 test will give you a ball.park figure and using it you can plot O2 although not so accurately from without an Oxydator to placing one in the sump or DT. You should be able to record an increase in O2cwith the Salifert kit rather than outright O2 concentration. Just an indicator kit.
Some years ago I had a Dulpa O2 test kit which seemed OK for my needs at the time.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the possibility to borrow a system with 3 optic sensors and logging. I have plan to do that because I want to see my oxygen levels. However - oxydators are very popular in fresh water shrimps tank here in Europe. The reason is that they are often heavily planted and the oxygen i such an aquarium could go from 0 when the cell respiration take most free oxygen at night

Sincerely Lasse

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should it have an app that opens a little gateway allowing even more timed oxygen flow— not that steady continuous is bad but even McDonald’s experiments with selling us bread and meat and potato in new ways. Someone make an app controlled oxydator and you’ll make six million pounds or dollars solely because it has a digital component.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.
What is the down side to an oxidator?
Very difficult question and I have to rack my brains to think of one. However or me it's the fact people still poo poo it liking it to some sort of snake oil saying such things as you don't need one.
Well you don't need lots of things we use like a skimmer for instance. However, we are talking is a simple cheap to buy cheap to run item that will increase water quality for most.

No controller required no electricity and little if anything to worry about. Downside mmmm. You have to refill it every so often and you have to have a little space to house it either innthe DT or sump.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shop called the shrimp tank I believes sells them but they might be in Canada am not sure
Trust me @atoll you are generating interest, but it is seriously an issue. :(

EDIT: Maybe someone that had easy access to these would consider a small side business selling some to the Yanks. :p

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me @atoll you are generating interest, but it is seriously an issue. :(

EDIT: Maybe someone that had easy access to these would consider a small side business selling some to the Yanks. :p
Seahorse breeder here in the UK has sent them to the US but postage is a killer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back