Oxydators and their fight against parasites.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I´m an oxydator user and have use it for many decades I can´t say that it can handle an acute outbreak by itself because i have only havet it once. In that case - it was two clowns - newly bought - that get marine white spot. I was able to lift them out and treat them with Tank transfer method (or in my case bucket transfer method) and set them back after 7 days. During this time I put in my oxydator in the DT and rise my concentration in my oxydator (A type, two catalyzts) to between 9 - 12 % for a 100 G tank. No other fish (around 40) get sick and the one I treat with TTM did not get it again. I had that aquarium for + 2 years after this event.

I can´t say that oxydators will eridact this parasite (or others) but I think that it is a tool that can be used to minimize the amount of parasites and/or other pathogens and create an environment rich in oxygen. IMO - the best way to handle an outbreak of whatever with help of an oxidator is to try to minimize the amount of pathogens - often you can do that by take away known infected organisms and treat them outside the aquarium. Oxidators will not be effective in order to cure internal diseases when they have etablish themself in an organism but can minimize infections through the water

Sincerely Lasse

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using an oxydator for 2 years and I'm thinking about stopping.

I have a 200 gallon tank and use a model A with 2 catalysts and 12% peroxide.

I don't see copepods in the tank and I wonder if the oxydator is the cause. Even if it doesn't kill the adults it may kill the larvae.

Many people report losing the copepod population after dosing peroxide.

I also wonder how it affects the tank's biome.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the concentration of peroxide is higher than needed then I guess it's a possibility that copepod lava might suffer. You could drop the concentration to 9% and see. However I suspect hydrogen peroxide does affect white spot spores to their detriment.

chris new reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give a short update on my Situation.

2 weeks after I installed the oxidator, all fish are alive and happy.

After every fish was heavily infected with ICH, the white spots went away last Wednesday and only one fish got some back.
all corals are doing great as well.

I had a little Dino outbreak after 7 days of using the oxidator. But again I did not get a proper ID. It just looked like the typical descriptions.
I plumped the UV directly in the MD and 2 days later the brown slime algae (I believe Dino) was gone.

It’s a bit difficult to keep some nutrients in the tank. Nitrate and Phosphate dropped to 0 after a few days of using the oxidator and even with heavy feeding they rise very very slowly.

The water is gin clear and the skimmer calmed down a bit the last days.

I will keep going with the 12% solution with 2 catalysts and the Uv in the MD until I don’t see any white spots for at least 2 weeks (maybe longer), before I build everything back as it was before the outbreak started.

So far, I am more than happy with the results. I was just about to separate the fish from the corals and treat them all with heavy medication and leave them separated for the recommended 76days.
I am really happy, that I didn’t do that.

big thanks to @HuduVudu
Your advice had the perfect

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, have a question:
I have the mini (1.5" diameter X 2" H, made of glass) with 6% H2O2 behind RBTAs in AIO Cvue 18 gallon - 2 clowns, one fire shrimp, 2 dancing shrimps, crabs and stomatella as cucs, and soft corals. It's been running for 2 years. I am preparing to move everything to WaterBox AIO 35.2 (cca 33 gallon). Should I buy 2 more mini and hide all 3 of them in the DT behind rocks/RBTAs? or buy the D size, wich has a diameter of cca 3.5" and 4" high (made of acrylic?) Is glass better than acrylic?

Also, would a mini oxydator hurt the betta fish in the 5 gallon Fluval Spec V?
Thank you so much!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, have a question:
I have the mini (1.5" diameter X 2" H, made of glass) with 6% H2O2 behind RBTAs in AIO Cvue 18 gallon - 2 clowns, one fire shrimp, 2 dancing shrimps, crabs and stomatella as cucs, and soft corals. It's been running for 2 years. I am preparing to move everything to WaterBox AIO 35.2 (cca 33 gallon). Should I buy 2 more mini and hide all 3 of them in the DT behind rocks/RBTAs? or buy the D size, wich has a diameter of cca 3.5" and 4" high (made of acrylic?) Is glass better than acrylic?

Also, would a mini oxydator hurt the betta fish in the 5 gallon Fluval Spec V?
Thank you so much!
Personally I would buy the model D for your new ta l and use a mini in your beta tank with 3% possibly 6% peroxide.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give a short update on my Situation.

2 weeks after I installed the oxidator, all fish are alive and happy.

After every fish was heavily infected with ICH, the white spots went away last Wednesday and only one fish got some back.
all corals are doing great as well.

I had a little Dino outbreak after 7 days of using the oxidator. But again I did not get a proper ID. It just looked like the typical descriptions.
I plumped the UV directly in the MD and 2 days later the brown slime algae (I believe Dino) was gone.

It’s a bit difficult to keep some nutrients in the tank. Nitrate and Phosphate dropped to 0 after a few days of using the oxidator and even with heavy feeding they rise very very slowly.

The water is gin clear and the skimmer calmed down a bit the last days.

I will keep going with the 12% solution with 2 catalysts and the Uv in the MD until I don’t see any white spots for at least 2 weeks (maybe longer), before I build everything back as it was before the outbreak started.

So far, I am more than happy with the results. I was just about to separate the fish from the corals and treat them all with heavy medication and leave them separated for the recommended 76days.
I am really happy, that I didn’t do that.

big thanks to @HuduVudu
Your advice had the perfect

How are your fish doing now?

chris new reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your fish doing now?
Hi Atoll,
Thank you very much for asking!

they are all doing great.
No white spots today, everyone is active, eating a lot and being happy.

I am so happy, that I didn’t stress them with another quarantine and treatment.

Thank you so much for your help.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Atoll,
Thank you very much for asking!

they are all doing great.
No white spots today, everyone is active, eating a lot and being happy.

I am so happy, that I didn’t stress them with another quarantine and treatment.

Thank you so much for your help.
Your very welcome.
That's great to hear and to be honest not unusual at all. Hopefully your parasite problem is a thing of the past.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll good Buddy. Great thread. I just found it. This is why your fish love you and are so healthy all the time. :p

I built an oxidator the same time Albert Thiel built one a few years ago and I don't remember why I still don't have it or what happened to it. I probably re configured it for something to use on my boat.
I am sure yours is much better than mine was as I probably built it out of cast iron.

Keep up the good work and do you have any more of that snake oil? It works great on my snakes. ;)

. I have been openly ridiculed, accused of selling them, giving misinformation, being obsessed, outright wrong, pushing snake oil, you name it.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll good Buddy. Great thread. I just found it. This is why your fish love you and are so healthy all the time. :p

I built an oxidator the same time Albert Thiel built one a few years ago and I don't remember why I still don't have it or what happened to it. I probably re configured it for something to use on my boat.
I am sure yours is much better than mine was as I probably built it out of cast iron.

Keep up the good work and do you have any more of that snake oil? It works great on my snakes. ;)
Hi @Paul B always good to hear from.you my friend. Actually Albert RIP didn't make an Oxydator I sent him one in exchange for a copy of his nano reef books. He thought it was so good that he asked me to help him write a section in the book about it actually I wrote it. He got a model D and later he sent me a signed copy of his book. I remember you had a go at a DIY one.
We have very few snakes here in the UK and only one mildly poisonous and quite rare so it would be difficult to catch one and milk it. Am not sure I could milk a cow never mind a snake.
Hope you and yours are well.
BTW I recently bought a trio of African flameback pygmy Angel's I think you would also enjoy these little fellows and watching their interaction. I will be expecting them to spawn once they have matured of course.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll. I also got a signed book of his and he had mine. I thought he made that oxidator. :cool:

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll. I also got a signed book of his and he had mine. I thought he made that oxidator. :cool:
Hope he never told you that. Oxydators are hard to come by in the US it seems in fact I know people in the US go to the UK and Europe to buy them

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi does anyone know of a source in states? Thanks
There are Model D’s on eBay US. There are Model A’s available from France, also on eBay that take about a week to arrive.

Earlier in this Thread someone posted another European website that has them.

Back