Pacific Ocean seaweed or kelp for refugium?

Robert Edgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

As many of you know, Chaeto is in short supply these days. I live in San Pedro, California near the ocean. I was wondering if local seaweed or kelp would work in my refugium as a nutrient exporter? I’d appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thanks, Rob

U

User1

View Badges
I'm not that far down South but do scuba dive frequently in Monterey which is a bit closer than my colder waters up North outside Sacramento. If I had to guess I would say the water is too cold. Keeping saltwater and what not isn't the issue but rather the cooler water temp the bull kelp and other algae needs.

Have you considered growing other forms of macro algae? You could reach out to indo pacific sea farms and order some coral heaven. Red, yellow, and green macro algae. My tang goes nuts over the red stuff and I was able to grow it in a bucket with light. I'd recommend it and it isn't super expensive. Just another option.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Welcome to R2R!!! You aren’t to far away from me and I grow enough cheato to supply some local stores and still have enough to feed the chickens next door! Lol. Pm me, maybe we can meet in the middle and I can give you some! Would a gallon size ziplock cover you?

eatyourpeas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in learning what you found out. I am considering kelp in a refugium for a Puget Sound biotope. Keeping the kelp cold will not be a problem as I am already aware that Rhamphocottus richardsonii likes colder temperatures.

eatyourpeas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already planning on it :)

Was curious if this was something that could be found in the marketplace.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back