Paid LFS to plumb my tank...did I get ripped off?

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plumbed Very similar on a 135g and total cost with PVC cement kit was $29. He charged How mUCH ???

SMH.gif

I will say, PVC can be cheap but extra supports and such cost more. I do charge a premium for install services, but that’s to get it professionally done in a timely manner. Although, my installs I do feel are a bit higher quality than this one

68B15286-97E1-4F0B-B1DC-45634BBE6D03.jpeg 73E3E67D-B5C6-41B6-879F-25578F1B9B89.jpeg

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFFF5F42-4C93-4E4D-9B5B-FE414C1AFA18.jpeg

2D4D73DF-B070-45F7-8584-99FCF6E2FD68.jpeg
C115AD11-A7B6-4682-AB6B-79645A91C300.jpeg
4767E782-C70D-4392-9C74-B83BFC102887.jpeg

This last picture shows all the bubbles from the return. The Durso standpipe came from a box kit, he pulled out so no measuring was done for my tank at all.
What can I replace the metal hose clamp with that won’t leech anything in the water but will also be secure?
That’s pretty much how the lfs installed my tank, but it was more of a courtesy thing when they delivered it. Definitely wouldn’t be happy paying $330 for that although I don’t see anything “wrong” with it. I got rid of it and hard plumbed with pvc shortly after joining this site. Sometimes the people who sell and deliver this stuff aren’t as passionate or as particular about the hobby as we are. Not just in this hobby, but I find that to be true in my other hobbies as well.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any service like this, I think it makes sense to view it as labor + materials.

This looks like about $50 in materials plus about $280 labor cost per hour. Thats lawyer-level labor costs, for a fish store employee.

IMO $30 per hour would be appropriate for this kind of service, for a total cost of perhaps $80.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any service like this, I think it makes sense to view it as labor + materials.

This looks like about $50 in materials plus about $280 labor cost per hour. Thats lawyer-level labor costs, for a fish store employee.

IMO $30 per hour would be appropriate for this kind of service, for a total cost of perhaps $80.

I agree with your thinking but maybe a little low on the costs involved, there’s travelling to and from the job, fuel, insurance etc etc the costs add up, it’s not just a matter of 1 hour labour cost, and after all the costs the shop needs a profit on top, whilst I agree 100% $330 is crazy, $80 is a little low.
If I were the OP I would be looking to get a 50% refund.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank from a 29 aio biocube to a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. I’m not a handy person at all and had no experience plumbing a tank but I tried anyway and I had a leak coming from some of the pvc. I got freaked out and contacted to LFS to do it for me.
The appointment time was 9:30, but 10 rolls around and no one was there. I call and they said they would send someone at 11. A little annoying but I figure mistakes happen. An hour later they say my tank is plumbed, I pay them $330 and they leave.
The did a durso drain whereas I had a herbie drain set up initially. They used all flexible pvc except for the main standpipe and part of the return. And absolutely no valves to control any of the flow. Also used a stainless steel hose clamp to secure the flexible tubing to the return pump, but I though exposed metal in the water was a big no-no.
I tried not to be too upset and filled up my tank. I thought they were professionals and knew what they were doing. Once I got all the water in and turned on the return, it is loud. I mean loud, like a toilet flushing next to my tv every 2 seconds. The return is putting crazy amounts of bubbles into my tank, which doesn’t seem too bad, just not aesthetically pleasing to me.
I’m really not impressed with the work they did, especially for the price. Am I overreacting? Any advice on how to make this tank quieter?

Video not working for me in Chrome

nobody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a LFS in Hilliard Ohio
Yes I’ll definitely be testing!
I’m close to Delaware Ohio lol

Unfortunately I know this all too well with literally any work I pay to have done, that’s why I usually have to take a man with me. Sucks that it’s like that, doesn’t it?
Go check out reef system coral farm on fb.
They are in New Albany Ohio. Close to you. Great place. He set up the marine labs at osu and athens.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFFF5F42-4C93-4E4D-9B5B-FE414C1AFA18.jpeg

2D4D73DF-B070-45F7-8584-99FCF6E2FD68.jpeg
C115AD11-A7B6-4682-AB6B-79645A91C300.jpeg
4767E782-C70D-4392-9C74-B83BFC102887.jpeg

This last picture shows all the bubbles from the return. The Durso standpipe came from a box kit, he pulled out so no measuring was done for my tank at all.
What can I replace the metal hose clamp with that won’t leech anything in the water but will also be secure?

There definitely are flaws and yeah you were charged too much for it. In the areas where they use the metal clamps, in my opinion nothing wrong with them. If you have water touching those frequently you have other concerns. It'll take years for those to rust, but like I said if you have water touching those you have other issues.

You can cut the flex tubing and put in a threaded true-union ball valve with barb fittings on each side. This will allow you to adjust the flow back to the tank. If you have a return that allows you to control the flow, try adjusting it.

The drain noise seems like it'll be the big problem here. There is a straight drop directly into the sump. This is in my opinion the biggest issue. You could try the same thing with the true-union valve to slow it down, but still straight drop.

Scott71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry about the hose clamps for now. I’ve got them on my tank for several years now and they are fine. Not in the water. Above the sump where supply ties into a tee for dual return.

I just am not confident in the plastic ratchet kind. Seems like they can’t be tightened enough. Ratchets on them are too big, meaning they are a little too loose and can’t get to the next ratchet. Would be nice to have smaller ratchets allowing better tightening.

Anyone else find better options??

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, PVC can be cheap but extra supports and such cost more. I do charge a premium for install services, but that’s to get it professionally done in a timely manner. Although, my installs I do feel are a bit higher quality than this one

68B15286-97E1-4F0B-B1DC-45634BBE6D03.jpeg 73E3E67D-B5C6-41B6-879F-25578F1B9B89.jpeg

Dang... you work for beer? :)

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for everyone: I have called in twice today and got voicemail once, second time didn’t leave a voicemail because they already know they need to call me back. Their store hours are listed as open on their website.
Don’t worry about the hose clamps for now. I’ve got them on my tank for several years now and they are fine. Not in the water. Above the sump where supply ties into a tee for dual return.

I just am not confident in the plastic ratchet kind. Seems like they can’t be tightened enough. Ratchets on them are too big, meaning they are a little too loose and can’t get to the next ratchet. Would be nice to have smaller ratchets allowing better tightening.

Anyone else find better options??

The metal out of the water doesn’t bother me, it’s the one submerged coming off my return that bothers me. I don’t want anything leaching out in the tank!

Go check out reef system coral farm on fb.
They are in New Albany Ohio. Close to you. Great place. He set up the marine labs at osu and athens.
Yes I’ve been there! They actually set up tanks at my Otterbein University, where I went to school. It looked very nice. I should have called them instead. If I can get a refund I will either use them or a local reefer I’ve been talking to on Facebook

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For that price id expect my plumbing to be pimped out. Color matched, spears gatevalves/unions.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The metal out of the water doesn’t bother me, it’s the one submerged coming off my return that bothers me. I don’t want anything leaching out in the tank!

They will rust even out of the water, learned from experience. They will last a while before they begin to rust but trust me they will in time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
$330 ?. . . . I just set up an oceanic 135g RR system NEW DEMO leftover stock that came with black oak stand and canopy and all plumbing with sump and all manuals Plus glass covers for $350.
YES, THAT PLUMBING IS EXTREMELY HIGH !!

1596506452626.png

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank was predrilled and that durso was a kit, you may not have been able to do a herbie if the holes were different sizes. Someimes they have one 1” and the return 3/4”. If you buy a marineland reef ready tank, that durso comes with it.

how long were they at your house? So if you consider that kit and other plumbing parts are at most $100, that hourly charge is crazy. Ho2 far did they travel from your home?

did they give you a price beforehand?

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a trigger sump? Which one? Does the water go into a chamber which then overflows into the sock? Shouldn’t be noisy there. If the noise is near the durso, there’s usually a small hole that a short piece of airline tubing is inserted to help the chugging noise. See the pic of mine

865DDE50-9755-4BD5-98A0-D8AA167DC912.jpeg

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump is controllable turn down the flow a little that will help with the flushing noise. And check the level of water in your sump sound to me that your return pump is pulling air from the water level being to low that's were the bubbles are coming from in the return.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back