Paid LFS to plumb my tank...did I get ripped off?

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank from a 29 aio biocube to a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. I’m not a handy person at all and had no experience plumbing a tank but I tried anyway and I had a leak coming from some of the pvc. I got freaked out and contacted to LFS to do it for me.
The appointment time was 9:30, but 10 rolls around and no one was there. I call and they said they would send someone at 11. A little annoying but I figure mistakes happen. An hour later they say my tank is plumbed, I pay them $330 and they leave.
The did a durso drain whereas I had a herbie drain set up initially. They used all flexible pvc except for the main standpipe and part of the return. And absolutely no valves to control any of the flow. Also used a stainless steel hose clamp to secure the flexible tubing to the return pump, but I though exposed metal in the water was a big no-no.
I tried not to be too upset and filled up my tank. I thought they were professionals and knew what they were doing. Once I got all the water in and turned on the return, it is loud. I mean loud, like a toilet flushing next to my tv every 2 seconds. The return is putting crazy amounts of bubbles into my tank, which doesn’t seem too bad, just not aesthetically pleasing to me.
I’m really not impressed with the work they did, especially for the price. Am I overreacting? Any advice on how to make this tank quieter?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take some pictures of all the work done and post some. The metal clamp is a no go and needs to be removed and replaced with a plastic clamp.

I'll try to help you as much as I can.

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank from a 29 aio biocube to a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. I’m not a handy person at all and had no experience plumbing a tank but I tried anyway and I had a leak coming from some of the pvc. I got freaked out and contacted to LFS to do it for me.
The appointment time was 9:30, but 10 rolls around and no one was there. I call and they said they would send someone at 11. A little annoying but I figure mistakes happen. An hour later they say my tank is plumbed, I pay them $330 and they leave.
The did a durso drain whereas I had a herbie drain set up initially. They used all flexible pvc except for the main standpipe and part of the return. And absolutely no valves to control any of the flow. Also used a stainless steel hose clamp to secure the flexible tubing to the return pump, but I though exposed metal in the water was a big no-no.
I tried not to be too upset and filled up my tank. I thought they were professionals and knew what they were doing. Once I got all the water in and turned on the return, it is loud. I mean loud, like a toilet flushing next to my tv every 2 seconds. The return is putting crazy amounts of bubbles into my tank, which doesn’t seem too bad, just not aesthetically pleasing to me.
I’m really not impressed with the work they did, especially for the price. Am I overreacting? Any advice on how to make this tank quieter?

Get an AC thats louder than it? Thats what i do people ask me all the time how i deal witht he noise tbh i cant sleep without noise

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal clamp in the water is a big no no. No gate valve and all soft tubing I wouldn’t be happy about that either. Im sure there are plenty of local reefers who would be happy to help if you supplied beer. I would not support that LFS.

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I’ve already moved everything from my 29 gallon into the tank. Is it too late to fix it? I’m going to call in when they open up tomorrow.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I’ve already moved everything from my 29 gallon into the tank. Is it too late to fix it? I’m going to call in when they open up tomorrow.
It is not too late. You just shut off the return pump, drain a little water out, put a heater and have a powerhead going in the display, then you can fix whatever plumbing issues there may be.

Also, to help quiet the drains you might have to turn the flow down a bit, which might be hard if you have an AC pump and now ballvalve in line.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flexible pipe, durso, minimal fittings, yea that seems overpriced. The stainless steel is also a no-no for saltwater. It's up to you how to proceed, but as others mentioned, check out local reef forums to see if anyone can help you out. At worse, some parts can be reused.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to late to fix it, can always drain the tank a little, put heater and any other life support in the tank directly temporarily. You then can sort out the plumbing and just fill the rest of the way once plumbing is done.

Gxry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal clamp in the water is a big no no. No gate valve and all soft tubing I wouldn’t be happy about that either. Im sure there are plenty of local reefers who would be happy to help if you supplied beer. I would not support that LFS.

As to the metal clamp, what would you recommend to replace it?

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFFF5F42-4C93-4E4D-9B5B-FE414C1AFA18.jpeg

2D4D73DF-B070-45F7-8584-99FCF6E2FD68.jpeg
C115AD11-A7B6-4682-AB6B-79645A91C300.jpeg
4767E782-C70D-4392-9C74-B83BFC102887.jpeg

This last picture shows all the bubbles from the return. The Durso standpipe came from a box kit, he pulled out so no measuring was done for my tank at all.
What can I replace the metal hose clamp with that won’t leech anything in the water but will also be secure?

Back