Paid LFS to plumb my tank...did I get ripped off?

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFFF5F42-4C93-4E4D-9B5B-FE414C1AFA18.jpeg

2D4D73DF-B070-45F7-8584-99FCF6E2FD68.jpeg
C115AD11-A7B6-4682-AB6B-79645A91C300.jpeg
4767E782-C70D-4392-9C74-B83BFC102887.jpeg

This last picture shows all the bubbles from the return. The Durso standpipe came from a box kit, he pulled out so no measuring was done for my tank at all.
What can I replace the metal hose clamp with that won’t leech anything in the water but will also be secure?
I do feel like you over paid. I would replace the metal hose clamp with a two little fishies plastic ratchet clamp, and cut that return line shorter and put a two little fishies ball valve in line to allow you to control your pump.

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFFF5F42-4C93-4E4D-9B5B-FE414C1AFA18.jpeg

2D4D73DF-B070-45F7-8584-99FCF6E2FD68.jpeg
C115AD11-A7B6-4682-AB6B-79645A91C300.jpeg
4767E782-C70D-4392-9C74-B83BFC102887.jpeg

This last picture shows all the bubbles from the return. The Durso standpipe came from a box kit, he pulled out so no measuring was done for my tank at all.
What can I replace the metal hose clamp with that won’t leech anything in the water but will also be secure?

wow $330 for that! Those clamps aren’t going to rust overnight. You should find someone local to help you get your tank plumbed the way you want.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like they didn't do a very good job. There should have been a discussion first about what the desired setup would be along a ballpark cost so everyone walks away happy.

The $330 price sounds absurd considering there can't be more than $50 in parts including markup when you consider they added no valves. This is the type of service that makes a customer look elsewhere even if it means a longer drive.

There's a lot of talent here on R2R so I have no doubt that some of the above commenters will be able to help you sort it out to your satisfaction.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Uptowngirl just to make sure. With herbie overflow, both of that lines would be for the drain. Did you plan for the return line to be over the top of your tank?

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your advice. Looks like I’m probably going to end up re-doing it. Already posted in a Facebook group for my area and someone can help once I get all the pvc I need. I just ordered the new clamps and they should be here in a couple days. I’m going to call in tomorrow when they open and see what they have to say about their work.

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Uptowngirl just to make sure. With herbie overflow, both of that lines would be for the drain. Did you plan for the return line to be over the top of your tank?

Yeah I was going to have it come over the top on the opposite side of the tank from the overflow. I even had a special part the hung over my tank perfectly that I handed to the employee when he got here.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was going to have it come over the top on the opposite side of the tank from the overflow. I even had a special part the hung over my tank perfectly that I handed to the employee when he got here.
This all just hurts to read, hopefully a local reef club member can help you. If they didn't even do the herbie style drain that was agreed upon, I feel like there needs to be some sort of refund.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO after looking at your pictures the plumbing is done properly for the bulkheads that are being used. This is exactly how mine is done and been running 10 years now. With exception of clamp in sump and no valve installed on supply hose. I would not change it. Yes you did get charged more then the job is worth but it is done properly and will function properly for a very long time after valve put in and clamp changed to plastic

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO after looking at your pictures the plumbing is done properly for the bulkheads that are being used. This is exactly how mine is done and been running 10 years now. With exception of clamp in sump and no valve installed on supply hose. I would not change it. Yes you did get charged more then the job is worth but it is done properly and will function properly for a very long time after valve put in and clamp changed to plastic

Except the return was specifically supposed to be up over the side to utilize both bulk heads as drains. She even handed them the return nozzle to do so.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They clearly didn't care about what she wanted. She wanted herbie overflow and a separate return line.

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think since my scheduling was messed up they sent someone other than the person I was talking to. And part of it might have been my fault, I never actually said the words “herbie drain” or “plumb with pvc”. I just assumed since I had been texting them pictures of my setup that I tried to do that they would know what I wanted. All I needed help with was making sure everything was cut and glued properly, since that’s what I couldn’t get right.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think since my scheduling was messed up they sent someone other than the person I was talking to. And part of it might have been my fault, I never actually said the words “herbie drain” or “plumb with pvc”. I just assumed since I had been texting them pictures of my setup that I tried to do that they would know what I wanted. All I needed help with was making sure everything was cut and glued properly, since that’s what I couldn’t get right.

Understandable, you were in panic mode due to the leaks. Hopefully they would give you some refunds back.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone agree's top help, send them the dimensions & pictures so that way you two can figure out a sketch and know what parts you need to buy. Hard PVC fitting will add up so depending on what the budget is, or how much your willing to spend will be a factor on what will be set up. Some stuff you wont find at a hardware store, and if you want it to look more fancy, you can use sch 80 (gray instead of schd 40 white) pipe and fittings (costs more). Also plan for future so unions are your best friend!

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I design and build water treatment plants professionally and have done work for lfs' since I have the tools and will work for store credit. Any time your dealing with any contractor please get a quote and proposal first and check the work before you pay. Thankfully it sounds like your on the right track to fix it. I'd consider trying to contact the lfs that did it and explain it's not what you thought you agreed to but since you paied it will be hard to get any resolution. Thankfully you "only" paid 330 for this, I've had friends get a similar lesson with dealing with a contractor type service when putting an addition on their house.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and if your name is accurate, your female (so am I so please don't take offense to this) but many contractor type services will absolutely try to do the crappiest job for you assuming you don't know the difference. I'm an environmental engineer, certified water/ wastewater operator I have guys try to play me for stupid... Alot. Sometimes this happens in the hobby too regrettably. I know it happens to men as well but I have male business partners and comparing stories this happens much more to us ladies, don't be afraid to speak up and tell someone you hired that they aren't doing the job the way you agreed and if they cut corners they won't get paid. Generally once you speak up and prove you know the difference between a good and butchered job they either shape up or ship out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back