Paid LFS to plumb my tank...did I get ripped off?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Uptowngirl sorry you had a bad experience with the LFS. But at least you know who to avoid or maybe go talk to them and tell them it was less than you expected in terms of design, etc. Tell them you want money back — ask for $200 see what they do. Not sure I would trust them to redo the work though.

Bnichols124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 bucks for what isn't consider a PVC/Plumb. (Its flex tubing not even pvc)
I'm sure most sevice guys would charge about $125 service charge for that. Id contact who you were dealing with to either get a refund or re do what was supposed to be done the first time. If no corse of action happens I'd name drop like no tommrow

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What LFS was this that did the setup?
It’s a LFS in Hilliard Ohio
Don't forget to test the water tomorrow. New tank, possibly a mini cycle happening.
Yes I’ll definitely be testing!
if youre near delaware i can help you out, but no one lives in Delaware lol
I’m close to Delaware Ohio lol
Oh and if your name is accurate, your female (so am I so please don't take offense to this) but many contractor type services will absolutely try to do the crappiest job for you assuming you don't know the difference. I'm an environmental engineer, certified water/ wastewater operator I have guys try to play me for stupid... Alot. Sometimes this happens in the hobby too regrettably. I know it happens to men as well but I have male business partners and comparing stories this happens much more to us ladies, don't be afraid to speak up and tell someone you hired that they aren't doing the job the way you agreed and if they cut corners they won't get paid. Generally once you speak up and prove you know the difference between a good and butchered job they either shape up or ship out.
Unfortunately I know this all too well with literally any work I pay to have done, that’s why I usually have to take a man with me. Sucks that it’s like that, doesn’t it?

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I know the LFS, I'm setting up a local guys talk who bought stuff there and they sold him crap as well. Worst dry rock I've ever seen.

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know the LFS, I'm setting up a local guys talk who bought stuff there and they sold him crap as well. Worst dry rock I've ever seen.
I should have known it would be overpriced when their fish are all at least 3x more expensive than everywhere else lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just plumbed Very similar on a 135g and total cost with PVC cement kit was $29. He charged How mUCH ???

SMH.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to read,luckily there are a lot of people here from OHIO,hope you atleast get 1/2 your money back,or done in pvc the way you want ,valves,unions,for no additional charge!!best wishes,if nothing works w them ,the reef here can help you step by step,in a couple of hours ;) :)

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a LFS in Hilliard Ohio
Yes I’ll definitely be testing!
I’m close to Delaware Ohio lol

Unfortunately I know this all too well with literally any work I pay to have done, that’s why I usually have to take a man with me. Sucks that it’s like that, doesn’t it?
It does but it also works both ways, as more women come into positions of authority (president of their community association, board members etc) there are certainly many that like to deal with our company because two of our three partners are younger females and they just want to deal with women. Thankfully alot of this way of thinking seems to be dieing out with younger generations as women are seen more and more in fields that were previously male dominated. Sometimes hubby comes with me as my enforcer, especially if I honestly don't know the field but usually I'm able to prove enough knowledge that the person I'm hiring figures out quickly not to try and pull anything. For example when I was getting a quote for the driveway they gave me a price for a complete bs job (the material to do It right would have cost more) and my response was "wow, that's kinda cheap! That's going to meet local code ####, is that a 4" cut with 3" base and 1" wearing course?" Usually when you start asking real questions like that about the details of the job the person backpedals real quick . I do find it pretty funny when someone is super thrown off.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME many local fish stores have no idea what a herbie overflow is. They probably just did what they know. $330 is insane for that job. What they did is about 30 mins of work. Were you there when they did the job? I’m curious why you didn’t tell them what you wanted while they were there?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME many local fish stores have no idea what a herbie overflow is. They probably just did what they know. $330 is insane for that job. What they did is about 30 mins of work. Were you there when they did the job? I’m curious why you didn’t tell them what you wanted while they were there?

to be fair to the OP she has already said she should have stated clearly what she wanted but was inexperienced in plumbing but that doesn’t excuse the professionals from asking the client what they want if there are a few different options to choose from..if I hired someone to landscape my garden, they would surely ask what I wanted doing, they wouldn’t just start digging, throw down some grass seed and think that was acceptable.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank from a 29 aio biocube to a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. I’m not a handy person at all and had no experience plumbing a tank but I tried anyway and I had a leak coming from some of the pvc. I got freaked out and contacted to LFS to do it for me.
The appointment time was 9:30, but 10 rolls around and no one was there. I call and they said they would send someone at 11. A little annoying but I figure mistakes happen. An hour later they say my tank is plumbed, I pay them $330 and they leave.
The did a durso drain whereas I had a herbie drain set up initially. They used all flexible pvc except for the main standpipe and part of the return. And absolutely no valves to control any of the flow. Also used a stainless steel hose clamp to secure the flexible tubing to the return pump, but I though exposed metal in the water was a big no-no.
I tried not to be too upset and filled up my tank. I thought they were professionals and knew what they were doing. Once I got all the water in and turned on the return, it is loud. I mean loud, like a toilet flushing next to my tv every 2 seconds. The return is putting crazy amounts of bubbles into my tank, which doesn’t seem too bad, just not aesthetically pleasing to me.
I’m really not impressed with the work they did, especially for the price. Am I overreacting? Any advice on how to make this tank quieter?

330 dollars they literally did nothing i was atleast figuring some sort of nice hard plumbing even than i couldnt see paying over 150 but no all hose plumbed yikes i would never go back to that store

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I still lived in Toledo, I would make the trip to help you out. Surely there's someone local who can help? I know times are especially tough now, but there's no excuse for this lack of professionalism. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back