Paid LFS to plumb my tank...did I get ripped off?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so great to see everyone helping get this tank up and running smoothly. Now I want to do a new plumb job on my tank. But how to do it without offending my installer? Errr, yes I am married to him. ;Shy

Scuba Mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience with my LFS. I wanted PVC unions and check valves. When they arrived they quickly plumbed the tank in the standard Durso and return line setup. Sounds like a toilet flushing. Waiting to redo it. On my next build I did all the plumbing and installed the Herbie Bean Animal drain, pvc, unions, etc.

20200418_135714.jpg 20200418_175850.jpg

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#1 key to making pvc plumbing look good is to use clear primer and not the purple or other colored stuff. Colored primer is used for plumbing inspectors to have a visual sign that no short cuts were made in professional jobs and that primer was actually used. The clear primer gives a way cleaner look to the finished plumbing! Also, have a rag on hand with a little acetone on it to wipe off any excess glue once the joint has set up for about 30 seconds. I also run tap water through the plumbing for a minute or 2 after everything has been drying for an hour.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EFFF5F42-4C93-4E4D-9B5B-FE414C1AFA18.jpeg

2D4D73DF-B070-45F7-8584-99FCF6E2FD68.jpeg
C115AD11-A7B6-4682-AB6B-79645A91C300.jpeg
4767E782-C70D-4392-9C74-B83BFC102887.jpeg

This last picture shows all the bubbles from the return. The Durso standpipe came from a box kit, he pulled out so no measuring was done for my tank at all.
What can I replace the metal hose clamp with that won’t leech anything in the water but will also be secure?
Question - I had this type of drain system (along with the metal clamps - and flexible tubing) - My understanding that by adjusting the height of the drain - you can also adjust the noise level - the first place I would be asking the question (I Guess) - might be the people that did the installation. Though lots of people seem to have problems with the metal clamps - I have used them - with no issues (especially the titanium ones - are you sure these are stainless steel?).

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I’ve been playing phone tag with the service manager for the past week. After I laid out all the issues I have with the project-basically just my first post in this thread- I haven’t heard anything from them. So I went into the store with my boyfriend. Basically they just took a message for the service manager, which is the guy I’ve been talking to. Still feeling discouraged about getting any sort of refund so that I can pay to get it done right or even to buy pvc and have a fellow reefer do it and being paid with beer. I’m going to give them another couple days before negative reviews are left and I’ll cut my losses. Thank you everyone for being so supportive here!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back