Pain of a Fish: Bi Color Basslet

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been trying to catch this basslet for awhile now since he is terrorizing my tank. I have even resorted to buying an over priced aquac medic fish trap. My tang and clowns think this trap is a place to hang out and play keeping the basslet from going in. I’ve caught both my tang and clowns and removed them and still the basslet won’t go inside the trap. I’ve been trying for a week now and I’m about to resort to tearing out everything just to catch him. Either that or I’m going to get a small hook and bait it to catch him. I hate this fish with a passion....ok rant over for now.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tearing down the tank is a little extreme, although I have had to do it before just to catch a fish.
The fishing trick might work, and I have tried it, but caught every other fish in the tank, but not the one I was going after. ( female clown was caught 3 times ).
You can find really small barbless hooks at most fly fishing supply shops.
The trap will work only when the fish sees a need to go in it.
Try feeding only in the trap and go extra light on the food.
Maybe hang towels on the front of the tank where the trap is so the fish can't see you. ( because he knows you are coming for him. lol)

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am only feeding in the tube that is in the trap but it seems he would rather starve then go in that trap . He has killed all of my clean up crew and he is trying to kill my mandarin. Such an a hole fish!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a small mirror in the inside back of the trap and a small mirror near the opening of the trap. It will see a rival in the mirror by the opening, then see another rival inside the trap. It will confront them and be distracted in the trap.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a small mirror in the inside back of the trap and a small mirror near the opening of the trap. It will see a rival in the mirror by the opening, then see another rival inside the trap. It will confront them and be distracted in the trap.
That’s a good idea never thought of that! I will try that soon.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several fish that have been called Bicolor Basslets. Do you know which one you have? Doesn't make a great deal of difference in catching him but it might help understand the aggression and help another reefer.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several fish that have been called Bicolor Basslets. Do you know which one you have? Doesn't make a great deal of difference in catching him but it might help understand the aggression and help another reefer.
Well he is half yellow and half purple

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference, its also possible to catch smaller fish using a 20 oz coke bottle. You can cut the top portion off, turn it upside down and back into the bottle where it was cut. That creates a funnel to guide the fish into the bottle, but makes it hard for it to come out. poke a few holes on the bottom to let the water fill it up and drain when you pull it out. Just make sure you have a container with water near by to put the fish in before the water drains, when you pull it out. This is also great for catching shrimp and other inverts. Of course, this only works for fish small enough to fit through the screw top.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been trying to catch this basslet for awhile now since he is terrorizing my tank. I have even resorted to buying an over priced aquac medic fish trap. My tang and clowns think this trap is a place to hang out and play keeping the basslet from going in. I’ve caught both my tang and clowns and removed them and still the basslet won’t go inside the trap. I’ve been trying for a week now and I’m about to resort to tearing out everything just to catch him. Either that or I’m going to get a small hook and bait it to catch him. I hate this fish with a passion....ok rant over for now.

Try this trick. Find out where he sleeps at night (hopefully somewhere accessible). When the lights go off, be prepared with nets or something to corner it. When you are ready, shine a bright flashlight in its face and try to catch it that way. May take a few tries, but might be better than tearing the whole tank down. BTW, those fish are total buttholes. Wouldn't put one in my tank if it was given to me.

EDIT: saw you caught it. Congrats.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back