Paint inside of reef tank?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I spray paint the inside of my reef tank? Livestock will be removed. Paint will cure.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the inside— besides toxicity issues, how would you possibly keep a spray confined to a single pane when you have to reach-in and manipulate the spray can?

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how would the paint hold up to being in saltwater. Flaking? Peeling? Fish picking at it (if you have/plan to have fish)? I would think doing the outside would be far safer long term.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops. I knew it was a bad idea. I was only curious because I thought I read that there was reef safe paint that wouldn’t peel. I was double checking because that didn’t sound right.

I’m not adding paint. I was just curious and wanted to learn because I didn’t want to misinform anyone.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops. I knew it was a bad idea. I was only curious because I thought I read that there was reef safe paint that wouldn’t peel. I was double checking because that didn’t sound right.

I’m not adding paint. I was just curious and wanted to learn because I didn’t want to misinform anyone.
Even if there is a paint like that, all it takes is one scratch or chip from livestock, equipment, rocks, etc and the integrity is gone and suddenly you find flakes of the stuff contaminating your tank. I would never trust anything like that in my tank.

Back