Painted Rock vs Dry Rock for Coralline Growth

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if those who have started fresh tanks with a mix of bare dry manmade rock and painted dry rock have noticed that coralline algae starts to grow on the painted rock surfaces before the dry rock?

I am a month into my tank with an even mix of both types of dry rock. After seeding the tank with both bottled coralline and some flakes from my LFS a week later, I have started to notice about 2-3 weeks in that the painted rock seems to have the initial spots of coralline growth while the bare dry rock is only just starting to get some neon green algae.

I'm wondering if the paint used has some sort of attribute or ingredient that allows coralline to take hold faster than bare dry rock, whether it be a surface reason such as acrylic paint (plastic is easier for coralline to start on?) or if there is some biological ingredient in the paint that speeds up the process on those surfaces?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that coralline will grow on smooth surfaces before rougher surfaces. This could be the reason you are seeing the painted surfaces grow the coralline before the rock.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could answer the question, but I can't because I can answer another question. If you have urchins, they will eat the paint off the rocks and you will end up with a white rock anyway. No harm to the urchins(I bought the ones already painted for the record), but yeah, waste of money if you have urchins.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't be surprised - I get a lot more on the acrylic back (IM tank) than the rocks - could be something to do with porosity. Could also be some local substrate nutrient difference.

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered about this too. Keep in mind, some say corraline is very problematic for their tank & equipment, but anything left unchecked probably is.

I’m 4 months in with my tank, the only corraline I have is from hermit crab shells from LFS.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could answer the question, but I can't because I can answer another question. If you have urchins, they will eat the paint off the rocks and you will end up with a white rock anyway. No harm to the urchins(I bought the ones already painted for the record), but yeah, waste of money if you have urchins.

I don't think its urchins doing it to your painted rock. My painted rock has been losing its paint a little every day. I've noticed over the past month that each painted rock has less and less paint on it and more white on it. While at the same time, starting to get very dark purple coralline algae over the remaining painted areas.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't be surprised - I get a lot more on the acrylic back (IM tank) than the rocks - could be something to do with porosity. Could also be some local substrate nutrient difference.
I figure its got to be because its acrylic paint on the rocks, but funny thing is its showing up on the painted areas of the rocks for over a week now and not a speck starting on the acrylic weir at the back of the tank. This is why I think there must be something else going on with the painted rock to get coralline much earlier than the acrylic in the tank.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its urchins doing it to your painted rock. My painted rock has been losing its paint a little every day. I've noticed over the past month that each painted rock has less and less paint on it and more white on it. While at the same time, starting to get very dark purple coralline algae over the remaining painted areas.
What brand of rock are you using?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back