Painted vs warty frogfish

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between those? Looking to get a variety of frogfishes.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you posted in the wrong subforum?

(But if there was a fish that can control the pumps and lights in an aquarium, I think it would be very very interesting. :D :D )

Last edited:
OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you posted in the wrong subforum?

(But if there was a fish that can control the pumps and lights in an aquarium, I think it would be very very interesting. :D :D )
oops, also it wasn't even earth frogfish it was warty :) posting on small phones are nice

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ha! I moved it to the fish discussion forum. Hopefully we can get some input in here. :)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the painted gets larger. Wartskin Anglers (Antennarius maculatus) get to be about 4", Painted Anglers (Antennarius pictus) get to be about 6". I think both can shift their colors and patterns slightly to match their surroundings, but wartskin seem to have the two distinctive colors and painted are a solid color with blotches of camouflage. I'm no expert, but I looked into them a little bit after Inappropriate Reefer got one.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept both, I currently have a warty. I enjoy the painted best for it's more aggressive personality, the warty is alot more laid back. Warty stay smaller; max out under 4" and grow pretty slow, about an inch a year on average. The painted seems to grow faster has a much more voracious appetite, will quickly grow to 4" and max out at about 6" The painted seems to interact more with you outside the tank; the ones I had would follow me around the tank, fish me and only me like they recognized me. One that I had would come from the other end of the tank and perch on a rock above my shoulder when I was perched on my favorite chaise. The warty takes his swims, but more like a drone on a recon mission scouting for food. While the painted would launch, feet behind him, jet packs puffing, bouncing off the walls and rocks, and a crack up because usually not sticking the landing. The warty seems to wait for his food to come to him; while the painted has no problem going after his, getting it in a corner and slurp. I feed live and only recommend live or you will end up with an ornament that eats, and you'll never see any of the activity these guys exhibit when maintaining their true predator spirit. Of course color and physical attributes are different as well. To keep the colors you must decorate your tank with vibrant colors, either live or fake corals, Reds, yellows, and oranges; in the wild many of them live among the sponges of these colors. Small black anglers are either juvenile painted that will not stay black; or a mis labeled commersons which get huge.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept both, I currently have a warty. I enjoy the painted best for it's more aggressive personality, the warty is alot more laid back. Warty stay smaller; max out under 4" and grow pretty slow, about an inch a year on average. The painted seems to grow faster has a much more voracious appetite, will quickly grow to 4" and max out at about 6" The painted seems to interact more with you outside the tank; the ones I had would follow me around the tank, fish me and only me like they recognized me. One that I had would come from the other end of the tank and perch on a rock above my shoulder when I was perched on my favorite chaise. The warty takes his swims, but more like a drone on a recon mission scouting for food. While the painted would launch, feet behind him, jet packs puffing, bouncing off the walls and rocks, and a crack up because usually not sticking the landing. The warty seems to wait for his food to come to him; while the painted has no problem going after his, getting it in a corner and slurp. I feed live and only recommend live or you will end up with an ornament that eats, and you'll never see any of the activity these guys exhibit when maintaining their true predator spirit. Of course color and physical attributes are different as well. To keep the colors you must decorate your tank with vibrant colors, either live or fake corals, Reds, yellows, and oranges; in the wild many of them live among the sponges of these colors. Small black anglers are either juvenile painted that will not stay black; or a mis labeled commersons which get huge.

Yay expert! What size tank would you recommend for a wartskin and painted?(not together one or other) What kinds of live foods do you feed? Ghost shrimp, mollies, damsels? I'm interested in keeping one but it'll be a future build. Don't have a proper setup for one right now.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can't keep them together or anything with them that is up to the same size as themselves. They will and can eat something as large as themselves, and will almost if not always be deadly. I've kept a painted in a 30g and it is adequate, they would probably like a 40 breeder better. I keep a warty is a BC29 and he would actually be ok in a smaller tank, but I probably wouldn't go smaller than like 24g. For the most part they aren't swimmers so don't need a ton of space. They like rocks; cliffs. overhangs, caves; also not super bright light. I kept a live lps reef and when I switched from power compacts to leds; my painted started staying in his cave alot more during daylight hours.

I feed ghosties and mollies, I keep a simple 10g with a sponge filter. I'm able to get mollies at all sizes from a large lfs near me, they get babies and small in all the time from customers. mollies are also easy to breed if you want to put the effort in. They acclimate to salt easily and the anglers enjoy the hunt, although the painted is a warrior and they don't last long. The warty will sometimes have one or two in his tank for a couple of days. Overfeeding is just as deadly or even more so than under feeding, so that's something to be aware as well. A couple or few small prey is better than a larger one.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the painted gets larger. Wartskin Anglers (Antennarius maculatus) get to be about 4", Painted Anglers (Antennarius pictus) get to be about 6". I think both can shift their colors and patterns slightly to match their surroundings, but wartskin seem to have the two distinctive colors and painted are a solid color with blotches of camouflage. I'm no expert, but I looked into them a little bit after Inappropriate Reefer got one.
Ayyy, I watched his vids too XD. He's the reason I asked the Q

Back