painting aquarium glass. Should i or should i not

kadruy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i’m looking into possibly painting the back of my tank and was wondering if i should or not. Like what are the pros and cons of this and is it good to do? Cause i’ve seen many with a black background and a few with none. so i was wondering which i should go with. So if anyone could resound that would be amazing and thank you all!!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mask it off and go for it . I used black paper. I was going to paint it but did not want to here about the smell.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always just paint the outside back black.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you look into your aquarium you want to be immersed in the life of the aquarium. Seeing cords and plumbing, behind the aquascape is not sexy. Various light, reflections and shimmers between the back panel of the tank, the crap behind the tank, and the walls behind the crap - all are detracting from the beauty within the box.

Take a few minutes and paint the back of your tank. Keep the focus of the aquarium on what's inside the box not what's behind or around it.

And take it even one step further, and do like I did, and make the back of your aquarium part of the aquascape by mounting rock to the back wall of the tank and adding more corals and life on the back wall to give your aquarium a real depth of field from front to back, and take away the issue of the pretty back wall getting covered with algae and making the tank look dirty.

Dave B
750g - Rock Wall 1 - Low Res  14.jpg

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have painted my back glass black on all the tanks I ever had. Recently saw a tank painted a dark blue and that looked amazing.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always paint the backs of my tanks blue. Use a spray paint that bonds to glass, like krylon fusion paint.

OP
OP
K

kadruy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you look into your aquarium you want to be immersed in the life of the aquarium. Seeing cords and plumbing, behind the aquascape is not sexy. Various light, reflections and shimmers between the back panel of the tank, the crap behind the tank, and the walls behind the crap - all are detracting from the beauty within the box.

Take a few minutes and paint the back of your tank. Keep the focus of the aquarium on what's inside the box not what's behind or around it.

And take it even one step further, and do like I did, and make the back of your aquarium part of the aquascape by mounting rock to the back wall of the tank and adding more corals and life on the back wall to give your aquarium a real depth of field from front to back, and take away the issue of the pretty back wall getting covered with algae and making the tank look dirty.

Dave B
750g - Rock Wall 1 - Low Res  14.jpg
thank you so much this was very helpful!!

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use vinyl because if they dont like it they can just peel it off.
It also holds up better to saltwater than most paints. Unil getting a tank with a black background I always used vinyl. Super easy to install and looks great for life.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I painted mine. Went with blue rather than black. I liked black on my last tank but it always seemed so dark. The blue seems to brighten it up more.

Back