Pair of clownfish died, not sure what the cause was

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About four days ago I noticed my twe ocellaris stopped eating when I offered food to them. I offered pellets, flakes, and brine shrimp and they showed no interest in any of them. I noticed both of them were breathing really hard and just behaving weirdly. One passed away yesterday and the other one died this morning. I have a 13.5g tank setup with a couple frags that I added four days ago also, four hermits, and a peppermint shrimp. I wasn’t sure what the cause was while they were sick but I suspected it could be parasites so I treated the tank with API GC. They showed no signs of external or even internal parasites but as a last resort I thought I’d give it a go.

Does anyone have any idea what they might have died from? My guess is it was something from the new frags I got because they stopped eating immediately after I added them to the tank but if it was a parasite they wouldn’t have changed their behavior that quick. There were no signs of external stress on their bodies, only their behavior. If it is parasites, then I would have to wait a while to add new fish for them to die off but would there be any other weird sickness that they both could have gotten at the same time? I’m not sure it’s an issue with my water quality because my coral and inverts are still doing great.

My params are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Salinity: 0.025
Ph: 8.1
Calc: 400
Alk: 10

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About four days ago I noticed my twe ocellaris stopped eating when I offered food to them. I offered pellets, flakes, and brine shrimp and they showed no interest in any of them. I noticed both of them were breathing really hard and just behaving weirdly. One passed away yesterday and the other one died this morning. I have a 13.5g tank setup with a couple frags that I added four days ago also, four hermits, and a peppermint shrimp. I wasn’t sure what the cause was while they were sick but I suspected it could be parasites so I treated the tank with API GC. They showed no signs of external or even internal parasites but as a last resort I thought I’d give it a go.

Does anyone have any idea what they might have died from? My guess is it was something from the new frags I got because they stopped eating immediately after I added them to the tank but if it was a parasite they wouldn’t have changed their behavior that quick. There were no signs of external stress on their bodies, only their behavior. If it is parasites, then I would have to wait a while to add new fish for them to die off but would there be any other weird sickness that they both could have gotten at the same time? I’m not sure it’s an issue with my water quality because my coral and inverts are still doing great.

My params are:
Sorry about your fishies. Since it happened so fast, I’m wondering if you had an ammonia spike due to something that died in the tank. Also, how long have you had them and how new is the tank?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any pictures that would help a lot.
As mentioned, how new is the tank and how long have you had the clowns?
It would also be helpful to know exactly how they acted (any abnormal behaviors), if they changed appearance at all, if there was any white stringy poo, and if any contaminants could have entered the tank.
Also, were there any fish, notably sick ones, in the tank with the corals. Many diseases can hitchhike with coral and inverts.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My params are:
Did they look weird? white spots/off colored mucus patches? stringy bits coming off them? Could be Brooknella

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your fishies. Since it happened so fast, I’m wondering if you had an ammonia spike due to something that died in the tank. Also, how long have you had them and how new is the tank?
That honestly might be what I was thinking, I tested ammonia consistently and my ammonia levels were consistently low but I was using API test kits which I know have a reputation for being in accurate but there were no deaths that I was aware of. I did a 25% water change just in case but it might have been too late.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any pictures that would help a lot.
As mentioned, how new is the tank and how long have you had the clowns?
It would also be helpful to know exactly how they acted (any abnormal behaviors), if they changed appearance at all, if there was any white stringy poo, and if any contaminants could have entered the tank.
Also, were there any fish, notably sick ones, in the tank with the corals. Many diseases can hitchhike witnthh coral and inverts.
The tank has been up for about a month and a half and the clowns have been in there for a little over a month and were doing great up until this point. One of them did have a bit of whitish-brown stringy poop. They were the only fish in the tank but I’m guessing the disease hiked from the corals. The main weird behavior was that they weren’t eating and started gasping at the surface for air the day or two before they died. If it was some sort of disease is there any treatment I can give to my tank and how long would I have to wait to get new fish?

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they look weird? white spots/off colored mucus patches? stringy bits coming off them? Could be Brooknella
Nope I researched a bunch of parasites and diseases but couldn’t find one that matched their symptoms. Yesterday I noticed they were losing some color but could tell they were beginning the process of dying.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I researched a bunch of parasites and diseases but couldn’t find one that matched their symptoms. Yesterday I noticed they were losing some color but could tell they were beginning the process of dying.
sounds like brook.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been up for about a month and a half and the clowns have been in there for a little over a month and were doing great up until this point. One of them did have a bit of whitish-brown stringy poop. They were the only fish in the tank but I’m guessing the disease hiked from the corals. The main weird behavior was that they weren’t eating and started gasping at the surface for air the day or two before they died. If it was some sort of disease is there any treatment I can give to my tank and how long would I have to wait to get new fish?
Were they swimming into flow at all?
Were gills red and inflamed?
How was surface agitation?

If unknown disease, it would be wise not to put anything in for 76 days. Figuring out what killed them would help determine if that is the best course of action, or if there is something else.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like brook.

This is what I found matched the symptoms the most but their skin wasn’t peeling or flaky

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they swimming into flow at all?
Were gills red and inflamed?
How was surface agitation?

If unknown disease, it would be wise not to put anything in for 76 days. Figuring out what killed them would help determine if that is the best course of action, or if there is something else.
Gills were not red but they were breathing very fast. Surface agitation was good, I have a return pump and a power head that were both near the surface to ensure there was good agitation. Also thanks so much for your replies I really appreciate it.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That honestly might be what I was thinking, I tested ammonia consistently and my ammonia levels were consistently low but I was using API test kits which I know have a reputation for being in accurate but there were no deaths that I was aware of. I did a 25% water change just in case but it might have been too late.
Was the ammonia low or at zero? Any ammonia would be a problem. You’re right that api tests aren’t that accurate. The water change was a good idea. IME fish disease usually doesn’t kill fishes as quickly as your clowns died. It’s possible a contaminant got into the tank. You could add carbon or replace it if you already use it.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often it’s too late by the time the famous symptoms for a disease appears.
Yeah that’s what sucks about fish diseases most have similar symptoms and once you notice them it’s hard to treat if they’re hard to recognize. I was talking with my friend and we were saying we kinda wished if fish got a terminal disease they would just die immediately so we wouldn’t have to go through the stress of diagnosing the disease and trying different treatments, just for them to ultimately fail haha. However it’s very rewarding to successfully treat a sick fish and see them get back to normal.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the ammonia low or at zero? Any ammonia would be a problem. You’re right that api tests aren’t that accurate. The water change was a good idea. IME fish disease usually doesn’t kill fishes as quickly as your clowns died. It’s possible a contaminant got into the tank. You could add carbon or replace it if you already use it.
Yeah one thing I thought of is I’m not 100% sure I remembered to rinse of the coral dip off my frags when I added them to the tank. If i did forget could that be what caused it?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what sucks about fish diseases most have similar symptoms and once you notice them it’s hard to treat if they’re hard to recognize. I was talking with my friend and we were saying we kinda wished if fish got a terminal disease they would just die immediately so we wouldn’t have to go through the stress of diagnosing the disease and trying different treatments, just for them to ultimately fail haha. However it’s very rewarding to successfully treat a sick fish and see them get back to normal.
This is why qt is so important imo
By the time you notice something like velvet, half your fish already died. If all fish are qt’ed and treated, no risk of it enetering the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back