Pair of clownfish died, not sure what the cause was

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what sucks about fish diseases most have similar symptoms and once you notice them it’s hard to treat if they’re hard to recognize. I was talking with my friend and we were saying we kinda wished if fish got a terminal disease they would just die immediately so we wouldn’t have to go through the stress of diagnosing the disease and trying different treatments, just for them to ultimately fail haha. However it’s very rewarding to successfully treat a sick fish and see them get back to normal.
In SW in time you can learn to ID sickness and treat it pretty well.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were brook is the rest of my tank still contaminated? Not sure if it would affect my corals and inverts but they are still doing fine
Most fish diseases you will encounter are obligate fish parasites. They need a host to feed/reproduce. Fallow (go without fish) for 6 weeks or more to ensure all parasites have starved to death. In the meanwhile, work on your inverts and such, and care for the tank as normal.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no animals, corals, nems, sand or rock. Bottled bac is fine. You can buy invertebrates from a quarantine vender like Dr.Reef.
Sounds good. Sucks that I couldn’t catch whatever it was sooner but I’ll just leave for tank for around two months and just keep feeding my corals and watch them grow for entertainment.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish diseases you will encounter are obligate fish parasites. They need a host to feed/reproduce. Fallow (go without fish) for 6 weeks or more to ensure all parasites have starved to death. In the meanwhile, work on your inverts and such, and care for the tank as normal.
Are there any products I can put directly into my tank such as PraziPro or Metro to try and kill any parasites that are still there?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry should have clarified - one that was safe for coral and inverts. Also just curious, why would it be important to not add any other corals while I fallow?
corals, nems and inverts cannot be infected by a fish disease, but if in a tank with fish, the disease can be present in the water thats around/on/in them.

Think like how when somebody sneezes, particles of bacteria can get on things, they can't make a table sick, but somebody could get sick from the bacteria on that table.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals, nems and inverts cannot be infected by a fish disease, but if in a tank with fish, the disease can be present in the water thats around/on/in them.

Think like how when somebody sneezes, particles of bacteria can get on things, they can't make a table sick, but somebody could get sick from the bacteria on that table.
So if I decide to take the risk of adding any new hitchhikers with frags during fallow, the other parasites would still die off in the fallow period? Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to get a full grasp on what is best to do I appreciate your replies.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I decide to take the risk of adding any new hitchhikers with frags during fallow, the other parasites would still die off in the fallow period? Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to get a full grasp on what is best to do I appreciate your replies.
Since you risk adding new diseases, you restart the 75 days of fallow from whenever the most recent thing was added. I.E. let's say you add a coral at day 30, you would restart the fallow, and start the "timer" of 75 days out from there.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 90 day fallow, but in that time still got inverts. When it came time for the clowns to go in, they got sick, and so I had to pull them back out.
Unless you are getting inverts from a system that does not have and never had fish, you have a risk of disease getting in.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you risk adding new diseases, you restart the 75 days of fallow from whenever the most recent thing was added. I.E. let's say you add a coral at day 30, you would restart the fallow, and start the "timer" of 75 days out from there.
So if it was brook, could it have travelled over from the coral because that was the only addition to my tank since I originally got the clowns and inverts a month ago

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back