Pair of crosshatch triggers (female 7”/Male 8”)

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been quarantined at California private collector for 30 days with 1/2 dose of therapeutic copper (cupermine) And last 2 weeks full dose of prazi. They are eating ferociously and and show no signs of anything except healthy. They will arrive in Miami tonight. I’m tempted to put them into the DT after safety stop and freshwater dip. What do you think? If I do go with quarantine, will a 55g suffice for 30 days? Certainly not enough room for these beauties but only for 30 days. Let the feedback begin! Much appreciated....

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think it's always best to quarantine your fish. A 55 should work for the short term, at least for the 30 days that you'll be quarantining them for.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. They are quarantined and good thing because male is very badly stressed. First was lying flat for hours and now is wedged between heater and Pvc and hasn’t moved for several hours. Female is fine and swimming normally. Lets hope they eat soon and male survives.....This is not the fun part of the hobby!

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they havent eaten in almost 4 days. Add that to 3 days before shipping and its been a week. The collector is suggesting strongly that I put them in display as the 55g is just too cramped for them and they are stressing and thus not eating....dilemma. They have shown no sign of being ill as it is apparent their lack of appetite is stress enduced. Been changing 25/30% water daily and replacing it with 1/2 my high quality DT water and 1/2 fresh mixed RO. All parameters are good. Thoughts now?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they havent eaten in almost 4 days. Add that to 3 days before shipping and its been a week. The collector is suggesting strongly that I put them in display as the 55g is just too cramped for them and they are stressing and thus not eating....dilemma. They have shown no sign of being ill as it is apparent their lack of appetite is stress enduced. Been changing 25/30% water daily and replacing it with 1/2 my high quality DT water and 1/2 fresh mixed RO. All parameters are good. Thoughts now?
Remember that fish can go quite a while before starving. Are their stomachs pinched or sunken in? Is the "back fat" of the lateral line area less?

It could also be the stress of shipping. What were they eating before the collector shipped them to you, and are you providing that food to them?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with them as I know you dropped a pretty penney on them. I am going to guess these guys are likely at least 7-8", and they are a very temperamental, lets say delicate, breed. They don't like being cramped and if healthy, qould likely almost immediately come around in the dt. But I also know how painstakingly you adhere to your protocol andbhave dedicated much to put that tank together. Question is how much do you trust the guy you got them from, if I told you it was safe, then it would be safe.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that fish can go quite a while before starving. Are their stomachs pinched or sunken in? Is the "back fat" of the lateral line area less?

It could also be the stress of shipping. What were they eating before the collector shipped them to you, and are you providing that food to them?
They were eating PE frozen mysis mainly and that is what I’m Using. Also tried live brine yesterday to no avail. Thx.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with them as I know you dropped a pretty penney on them. I am going to guess these guys are likely at least 7-8", and they are a very temperamental, lets say delicate, breed. They don't like being cramped and if healthy, qould likely almost immediately come around in the dt. But I also know how painstakingly you adhere to your protocol andbhave dedicated much to put that tank together. Question is how much do you trust the guy you got them from, if I told you it was safe, then it would be safe.
Yes on all fronts. This is the first time I’ve worked with this guy but he insists they are good to go into DT. The other dilemma is that I go away for 5 days on a trip I cant cancel starting tomorrow( Monday (10/19/20).....tough call. Thx!

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male crosshatch trigger has ich and could have infected DT as I had him in a clear large container with holes floating at the top for about an hour before finally diagnosing ich. I really have no luck.....yes photos don’t lie!

592A8086-2658-4E8F-8807-1984FDC0EAB1.jpeg DBAF6B10-21D8-4028-ADEE-8C7F11207AB4.jpeg 7F951770-31F3-43A4-8A4B-1C68D9B54B9A.jpeg

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
[IMG alt="Flame2hawk"]https://www.reef2reef.com/data/avatars/m/133/133128.jpg?1572030877[/IMG]
Flame2hawk

Partner member 2021
JoinedOct 25, 2019Messages425Reaction score287LocationMiami
Since they’re not eating, I’m going to go with hypo salinity and a poly filter/prime/stress coat to control an ammonia. When I get back from being away 5 days (someone is feeding and watching them) I will evaluate and might start copper IF they started to eat. Anyone any thoughts on this plan for the crosshatch triggers?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...if the collector is saying it's a space issue, the only thing I can think of is putting them in a larger tank; they sell 300 gallon tubs for 275$ or so....

I'm not sure about hyposalinity and triggers, but if it's worked before then go for it. Will it be okay to hypo them while you're gone? I know hypo can be finicky with evaporation and everything. Do you have an ATO on hand and stuff?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...if the collector is saying it's a space issue, the only thing I can think of is putting them in a larger tank; they sell 300 gallon tubs for 275$ or so....

I'm not sure about hyposalinity and triggers, but if it's worked before then go for it. Will it be okay to hypo them while you're gone? I know hypo can be finicky with evaporation and everything. Do you have an ATO on hand and stuff?
Yeah tough timing going away during treatment. Would try to get them eating beforehand at least

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would rather start tank transfer method when you return. Go that route and end the qt period faster to get them into the dt.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male crosshatch trigger has ich and could have infected DT as I had him in a clear large container with holes floating at the top for about an hour before finally diagnosing ich. I really have no luck.....yes photos don’t lie!

592A8086-2658-4E8F-8807-1984FDC0EAB1.jpeg DBAF6B10-21D8-4028-ADEE-8C7F11207AB4.jpeg 7F951770-31F3-43A4-8A4B-1C68D9B54B9A.jpeg

Wow, what a save; that's what a 1/2 dose of therapeutic copper will get you. I stopped buying from the lfs's that run copper along with any known sources, it's always 1/2 dose, just enough to suppress what's ailing them but not enough to cure. I hate to be the doom and gloom but I want to prepare you, this suppression method sometimes produces some virulent stuff. Did you happen to test the sg in the shipping bag when they arrived, this suppression method is usually coupled with low sg, which many times also suppress internal parasites, which may be contributing to their lack of appetite. I believe you have a real dilemma on your hands. While a 55g is cramped it is larger than what they would get at a lfs and is the size tank most use for large fish. Getting them into something larger would be great, but also figuring out something practical. I think hypo salinity and trying to get them eating would be the 1st course of treatment. Treatment for ick will add to suppressing their appetite so getting them strengthened up before treatment would be a good thing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back