Pair of Female Lyretail Anthias

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting myself a pair of lyretail anthias, maybe 3 depending on their size. However I hear they are best either solo or in groups of 1 male with 3 or more females due to harassment.

Wondering if it may be possible to keep a pair of females, and by the time one turns into a male, I'll have room for more.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is anthias form hierarchies based on dominance so the more you have the less likely it is for one to be picked on constantly. It's not just males that are aggressive but females fighting for top spot (to become a male) can be just as nasty. Unless you have sufficient space for them to avoid each other should they wish to, I would just have one.
The sex change can also occur very quickly once it begins so you probably won't have time to upgrade.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a group, it is better to get a group of females and let them decide on sex/hierarchy.

It will depend on tank size, hiding places, food, flow how many you can keep.

Tell us more about the tank, and Mort and others can give you some advice about how many.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 55 gallon FowLR. It's a bit small for Anthias, but I did some reading and plenty of people seemed to have singles or small groups in 55s perfectly well.

Tank Mates would be.
Marine Betta
Dwarf Lionfish
Flame Hawkfish
Cleaner Wrasse
Greyfaced Moray

Part of the reason I figured an Anthias would fit is it's a swimmer fish, and of mine, only the wrasse really swims around so there's lots of unoccupied water column. Wanted a colorful swimmer to add well, colour and motion after the passing of my lemonpeel. Plus I desperately need more fish for the wrasse to swim around with, it's pestering the Betta constantly, and the Betta is not happy with that.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my op, a 55 is too small for a group. I'd go with a dwarf angel, a small copperband butterfly, and/or a canary blenny.
All are colorful and open water swimmers.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 probably isn't big enough for lyretail anthias.

Meiacanthus blenny of some sort would be a good substitute. Or a midas blenny. Or flasher wrasse or one of the smaller fairy wrasses.

The lion and eel make me nervous though.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Meiacanthus blenny of some sort would be a good substitute. Or a midas blenny. Or flasher wrasse or one of the smaller fairy wrasses.

I was thinking the same on the preds.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly a carpenter's flasher wrasse was my first choice, but that's the conclusion I came to. My lion and eel aren't huge, 5" and 12"ish respectively. Anything over over 2" should be safe, my little flame Hawk hasn't been eaten. My main concern would be aggression, wouldn't want a poor peaceful little wrasse to get harassed to death.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2" slender fish and a 5" lionfish would worry me a little. I would personally want a chunky reasonably sized fish and a good old flame angel would be hard to beat.
If you didn't have a cleaner wrasse then I would have suggested a dwarf puffer as they are great character fish and out and about constantly.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back