Paired clownfish just unpaired themselves...?

That1guy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 45 gallon reef aquarium. My water parameters are all good with low nitrates and phos. Anyway I have had a bonded pair of clownfish for the past 5 months. One is a large 2” female Perculia Clownfish and the other is a smaller 1.5” occilaris clownfish (excuse my spelling). They have been bonded for the entire time I’ve had them since I bought them at the same time. Now recently, my female has turned aggressive towards my male clownfish to the point where he sits on the bottom on the tank on the opposite side. He still eats and everything but he won’t swim away from his area so I target feed him. He will not do a submissive shake in front of the female anymore when the female rushes him either. I have tried to acclimate the male in a Breeder box for the past 2 weeks inside the females territory to try and reestablish then into pairing again but to no avail. I don’t know what to do, someone help :(

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, females sometimes go rogue and will abandon longtime mates. I've had a female percula go nuts on two males and she killed both of them. I don't have any solutions for you -- sometimes a female that gets tired of the male needs to be paired with another fish.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 will need to find her another man....hopefully shes not too picky.

Sirlurkzalot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try to pull both of the clowns out of your tank, rescape, and reintroduce them (though that's a lot of work).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back