'Pairing' Wrasses: That's Not How Any of this Works!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any photos of the stages of bluestars transitioning? I’ve searched and can’t find any. I’ve had two small females in a 125 for about six months. Lots of growth, a few vicious spats that have completely resolved within days (odd to see). One female is noticeably larger than the other, but colors appear identical thus far.
@Mike&Terry documented one in the past; there's photos around here somewhere if I recall...

*Edit* Here, not M&T, but better: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...ropharyngodon-bipartitus.259897/#post-3095933

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mike&Terry documented one in the past; there's photos around here somewhere if I recall...

Ok cool. I’ve had no luck finding them, but will try again. If anyone happens to know where they are hook me up. Would really love to see!

Here is another question for you, can leopards reach “max aquarium size” in female form? In other words, is growth limited by the lack of transition?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. I’ve had no luck finding them, but will try again. If anyone happens to know where they are hook me up. Would really love to see!
See ninja edit above.
Here is another question for you, can leopards reach “max aquarium size” in female form? In other words, is growth limited by the lack of transition?
It is possible; sex does not limit size.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tip my hat to the author for this well-written & informative article! :)

My first loves are Centropyge angels & Butterflyfish, but leopard wrasse have started intensely pulling at my heart strings as I explore reef-safe fish for my 180G reboot. Possum wrasse have also become a quick favorite. (I’m back in the hobby a year now after a 10-15 year hiatus — this time keeping corals. I’m still very lightly stocked fish-wise).

I knew about wrasse changing sex, but I never imagined that pairing or keeping harems are essentially a futile effort given that females almost always transition to male.

Just last week, I asked my LFS to order three black leopard wrasse (all female). If I had to select any genus, at least I selected the genus with better odds of staying peaceful as a harem. Is that a fair statement?

(I actually wanted five females but figured I should show restraint). ;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tip my hat to the author for this well-written & informative article! :)
Thank you kindly! :)
If I had to select any genus, at least I selected the genus with better odds of staying peaceful as a harem. Is that a fair statement?
Yes, for sure a fair statement. With a larger tank such as yours, you well might have good success in the long run.
(I actually wanted five females but figured I should show restraint)
Actually, more would probably be better.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances of keeping 4-5 Yellow Wrasses (Yellow ‘Coris’) together as a group? I will add them all at the same time and small.

This is what I’ll do if I cannot find the more colorful species like the Melanurus, especially in the midst of the coronavirus.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances of keeping 4-5 Yellow Wrasses (Yellow ‘Coris’) together as a group? I will add them all at the same time and small.
I would not; highly likely multiples will transition to male and fight.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - Maybe I didnt make myself clear. Why would 2 fish in a tank become male (I understand that perhaps the more dominant one would become male) - what I dont understand is why (in the absence of a female) - why one wouldnt remain female (so they can stay alive AND reproduce).
This is because our tank is very far from nature. Just because something happens in nature does not mean it will happen in our tank.
I want to observe spawn of my fish in my tank. I like to have breeding units of fishes. There are fishes that can be keep in harem or pair and there are many that cannot.
research and reading on the species that we want to keep Is really helpful. Sometime there won’t be any reliable source of information out there. Go with your best guesses or stay with the blanket recommendation of no pair or harem in wrasse

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is because our tank is very far from nature. Just because something happens in nature does not mean it will happen in our tank.
Precisely!
And I tried to make this a part of my MACNA 2017 presentation, in the sense that as much as we think our boxes of water replicate the nature these species are found in, they are rather quite far from it.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this was a really good read.

Do you have any tips for those looking into attempting spawns with Wetmorella wrasses for serious purposes (as opposed to casual attempts)? I assume that you'd want to get an established male, and then add in two juveniles, and then remove the oldest male once a subdominant male reaches maturity?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any tips for those looking into attempting spawns with Wetmorella wrasses for serious purposes (as opposed to casual attempts)? I assume that you'd want to get an established male, and then add in two juveniles, and then remove the oldest male once a subdominant male reaches maturity?
If someone was trying to pursue captive breeding of any particular species, I'd urge them to start with a group (4 or more) of juveniles of that species. Let them sort out who the dominant male will be, on their own, as they mature. You'll likely then get a period where the females then spawn with that male. But do understand that the peace won't last forever, and the spawning window might only be 6 months before one of the females moves to a transitional male.
Observation here is key, and being "in tune" with noticing clear behavioral changes in a spawning harem.

And yes - I'd remove the oldest male once another younger male became a challenger.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved , not sure if you have mentioned this in this thread or any other, if so then I apologize, but do wrasses become males or super males in an aquarium setup?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved , not sure if you have mentioned this in this thread or any other, if so then I apologize, but do wrasses become males or super males in an aquarium setup?
Yes, for sure!
There's a discussion the the "all about reef safe wrasses" article/thread.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for sure!
There's a discussion the the "all about reef safe wrasses" article/thread.
I have read that several times. I guess I need to go back as I wasn't really thinking about supermales at the time and probably overlooked it. :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term " super male" seems to be a bit of a marketing term.

The term has some meaning, referring to colorful terminal males...but for the most part, I think retailers just use that label to make the fish seem special so they can charge more.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term " super male" seems to be a bit of a marketing term.

The term has some meaning, referring to colorful terminal males...but for the most part, I think retailers just use that label to make the fish seem special so they can charge more.
I think you've absorbed this from me. :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've absorbed this from me. :)
It's very possible that my opinions on wrasses are heavily influenced by yourself
giphy.gif

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back