OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Been there. The problem is that these diseases are coming at you much quicker than normal with almost zero time to react. You did what you could under the circumstances. Sounds like your Cardinal had perhaps some flukes, velvet and developed a rather nasty bacterial infection in a very short time.
I’m going to do the full prazi treatment just to be safe. I ordered medication to treat velvet as well so that I have it on hand if needed. It won’t come in until Saturday tho. In a pinch I’ll run to the store and get some copper treatment.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is a very rapid killer. Time is your enemy now. I'd treat the copper first and praziquantel later.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Thanks. I’m trying to get the medicine. I have some ordered but so far no luck finding any near me. I’m working the next two days and on call so I have to be within 30 minutes of work. It isn’t looking good. Wish there was something else I could do!
I wonder if the vet would have something on hand? At least then maybe I could pick it up tomorrow if I get out of work on time.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a long look at Humble's "Emergency Treatment" section in that link. You have some time as the clown was just introduced to your DT. The question is will the velvet parasites give you the time you need. Let's hope! Back to "Emergency Treatment" an important thing to note is the Freshwater dip followed by a dip in acriflavine or Ruby Reef Rally gave substantial raise in survival rates. So if you can I highly recommend you find either acriflavine or Ruby Reef Rally as a bath before you place the fish into the QT tank where you will be treating with copper.

Ruby Reef Rally has both antibiotic and antiseptic qualities that clearly help in these situations.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I live in a rural area, I joined Amazon Prime to get 2 day delivery. Sometimes it's 2 or 3 but way faster.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the potential of velvet here, but did you ever tell us how long you have had this cardinal? The loss of color was most likely from a bacterial infection, though those are often preempted by a parasite of some kind. I didn't see any white dots on him in that second picture, though I wasn't able to see much at all on him aside from the loss of color. Any chance we could get a better quality picture?

I'd also like to ask if he is (or has been) displaying any of these symptoms: Heavy breathing, flashing or scratching, swimming into the flow of a powerhead or return, hiding excessively, lack of appetite.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your vet may have access to Chloroquine Phosphate (CP), which is a wonderful treatment for velvet - but some (many?) vets won't entertain the notion of treating fish. Shouldn't hurt to ask, though.

In the second photo, the white dots appeared to be on the edges of his fins, which might indicate Lymphocystis ... but wouldn't account for the loss of color.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the potential of velvet here, but did you ever tell us how long you have had this cardinal? The loss of color was most likely from a bacterial infection, though those are often preempted by a parasite of some kind. I didn't see any white dots on him in that second picture, though I wasn't able to see much at all on him aside from the loss of color. Any chance we could get a better quality picture?

I'd also like to ask if he is (or has been) displaying any of these symptoms: Heavy breathing, flashing or scratching, swimming into the flow of a powerhead or return, hiding excessively, lack of appetite.
Sorry, I just seen this to reply. The cardinal was just introduced to the tank a week ago. Was just hanging out by himself. No itching, hiding, etc. He died shortly after my post. I did the fw dip. Seen some specks come off in the water. Put him back in the tank. Then looked like strings coming off of his fins after that. A few hours later he died. The clown died today too. The angel is now not as active either and losing color. I think it must be velvet. I’ve posted on a more recent thread that I ordered CP, Ruby Red, and have purchased a used 55gallon rank to try to save the rest. There are only 4 fish left and I’m waiting on medications to come in because there is nothing here. I’ve called everywhere I can think of.... Hope they can make it until the weekend but it isn’t looking promising.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your vet may have access to Chloroquine Phosphate (CP), which is a wonderful treatment for velvet - but some (many?) vets won't entertain the notion of treating fish. Shouldn't hurt to ask, though.

In the second photo, the white dots appeared to be on the edges of his fins, which might indicate Lymphocystis ... but wouldn't account for the loss of color.

~Bruce
I thought about contacting the vet but i have ordered CP and should be here tomorrow hopefully.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back