Pajama Cardinal Eye Lesion

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I observe an aquarium weekly and noticed this large growth on the fishes left eye.
3519383e8e1dd54842f01f77743724b7.jpg

There are 50 or so glass anemones and a spiny urchin in the tank with the fish. All other fish appear healthy. Does anyone know what this could be and what the best treatment is?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That poor lil guy!

Normally it is recommended to use Epsom salts for eye swelling issues. I've never seen anything like this before though. Hopefully one of the others will chime in soon!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My God that looks awful. Does it appear to be solid or an abscess (pocket of pus)? I'm guessing the latter, and I'm wondering if the urchin got him.

OP
OP
Bonfish

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I was thinking, or possibly one of those glass anemones. Any ideas for potential treatments? The growth appeared solid and completely encapsulated.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth appeared solid and completely encapsulated.

I was going to suggest inserting a syringe and trying to suck/release some of the pus out. But if it's solid you may have to just attempt cutting it off using a scalpel. I highly recommend using a sedative (MS-222) before attempting either approach. Look here for sources to buy MS-222 from: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/venting-a-swim-bladder.335275/#post-4172304

You have nothing to lose by trying here. The fish cannot possibly survive long-term in that condition. Even if he loses the eye, he will be fine so long as he doesn't lose the other.

I recommend using this product (or Neosporin) on the eye afterwards: http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/bio-bandage/

OP
OP
Bonfish

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I really appreciate the feedback. I have used ms-222 before for anesthesia on amphibians. I agree the long term prognosis looks poor unless there is intervention. I will see what they are willing to let me do as this aquarium exists in my doctors office.

OP
OP
Bonfish

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I went back in to my doctors office after emailing them on Friday with two options. First they send the fish for treatment with a local fish veterinarian that I provided the contact information for or I recommend they surrender the fish to our shelter and we would take care of the treatment. They had the aquarium service remove the fish for treatment to Cornell University. I offered a local option at only $75-100. Hopefully this is true and this fish got the treatment it needed. Thank you again for all the help!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I went back in to my doctors office after emailing them on Friday with two options. First they send the fish for treatment with a local fish veterinarian that I provided the contact information for or I recommend they surrender the fish to our shelter and we would take care of the treatment. They had the aquarium service remove the fish for treatment to Cornell University. I offered a local option at only $75-100. Hopefully this is true and this fish got the treatment it needed. Thank you again for all the help!

Kudos to you for caring so much about this fish. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back