Pajama Cardinal Loss of Color, Swollen Clouded Eye

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, one of my Pajama Cardinal has a cloudy and swollen eye with pale colors. It came with 2 other pajama cardinals that I purchased at the same day and at the same location a couple of days ago. It came paler than the others but the swollen and cloudy eye started to develop after. No other fish in the tank show any signs of problem. It still eats although not nearly as energetic as the other cardinals. Any idea on what it is and how I deal with it?

sick1.png sick2.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it breathing faster than the other ones?
Do you have a treatment tank you can move it to?
Jay

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it breathing faster than the other ones?
Do you have a treatment tank you can move it to?
Jay
It doesn't appear to be breathing faster than the other ones and I can't move it to any other tanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't appear to be breathing faster than the other ones and I can't move it to any other tanks
I’m worried about the general cloudiness to the fish’s skin and some fin erosion. Looks bacterial to me, but dosing your DT with antibiotics isn’t a good idea. Erythromycin in a treatment tank would be the best option I think.
Jay

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m worried about the general cloudiness to the fish’s skin and some fin erosion. Looks bacterial to me, but dosing your DT with antibiotics isn’t a good idea. Erythromycin in a treatment tank would be the best option I think.
Jay
any idea on how I can set one up on the spot? I don't have any filter media in the sump really

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any idea on how I can set one up on the spot? I don't have any filter media in the sump really
The only option would be to use those bacteria in a bottle products.
Here is another option: set up a 2x daily antibiotic bath in a bucket of seawater, a heater and an air stone. The cardinal should be easy to catch, move it to the bucket dosed with antibiotics at 2x the label dose, for two hours, twice a day (making a new bath each day). That way, you don’t need to set up another whole tank.
Jay

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only option would be to use those bacteria in a bottle products.
Here is another option: set up a 2x daily antibiotic bath in a bucket of seawater, a heater and an air stone. The cardinal should be easy to catch, move it to the bucket dosed with antibiotics at 2x the label dose, for two hours, twice a day (making a new bath each day). That way, you don’t need to set up another whole tank.
Jay
Woke up today and the sick one disappeared :/. It is either hiding super deep in some hole, died in the hole and is stuck, or jumped out and the cat got it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up today and the sick one disappeared :/. It is either hiding super deep in some hole, died in the hole and is stuck, or jumped out and the cat got it.
Sorry to hear. You need to be aware that the issue could be contagious, so watch the others very closely over the next week.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back