OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% bleach/water solution for a day or two, then a good RODI soak with dechlorinator.

so i decided to try to clean up a rock with these ugly things on it and while i was trying to razorblade one, it totally squirted right at my face. luckily i was wearing a painter mask thing + sunglasses + gloves or there might be a new article en route.. lol

the live rock that has a ton of them on it is going to get jackhammered instead of trying to eradicate in other ways, these things are so difficult to get rid of too. not so sure live rock is all that worth it at this point

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately just another case of one person trying to spoil it for the rest. Just like when i was a kid riding 3 wheelers. Banned cause idiots couldnt ride them and got killed.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a serious palytoxin intoxication that brings you to hospital from Palythoa that is no joke. It is much, much less likely that other corals will bring you to hospital but it might happen. Corals have nettle toxins that can cause or enhance inflammation reactions and bacteria in the slime of corals may cause sepsis if getting into a wound. The latter one is more of a general risk that might happen in your garden (of course not with corals) also but there are some cases.

Palythoa in my eyes are a serious problem. If you where lucky and had Palythoas and no problems doesn´t mean next time you get some or move some you will have no problems again.

One of the most prominent German reef aquarists, Dietrich Stueber, who grew Acroporas in the early nineties, gave up somewhen in the early to mid 2000s because of repeated and more and more severe health problems with Palythoa that brought him to hospital and into critical condition. There are more cases of serious health problems with Palythoa and it is good advice to be very careful with Palythoa.

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Guess I'll stick to something safe that won't hurt me like a lionfish!!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always work with pallys bare handed. Sometimes I break em or frag em. I never had any problem. But I do stay away from the ultra toxic versions. My lfs fragged one once and got a squirt in his eyes. He had problems for a week or two but in the end it was all good. Now he uses glasses when fragging.
5EF858BB-EF7A-4189-9AE5-BB5B25AD31D5.jpeg

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s too bad the benefits of our coral reefs couldn’t have been included in that article. Doom & gloom news media is easier to sell I guess...
D39EFCAA-F79E-44DC-9863-DA48345EE140.png

Tumey ;)

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s too bad the benefits of our coral reefs couldn’t have been included in that article. Doom & gloom news media is easier to sell I guess...
Obviously it is difficult to characterize something as not being either black or white but something in between like grey or blue or red. This is especially obvious if you go to the movies. It is very hard to find a movie which characters are not either good or evil but both, sometimes rather good, sometimes rather on the bad side or most times just driven by circumstances. Somehow black and white schemes seem to help people but I don´t know with what ... maybe not to understand the world properly ...:confused:? It seems complex ...;)

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they should focus more on solving the stupid people epidemic that seems to be spreading around the planet like a wildfire.

Based on the article it’s starting to sort itself out without any outside interference [emoji1]

I simply don’t understand how people managed to get poisoned by these things. When I started out as a stupid 13 year old 17 years ago I handled these things in the most reckless manner possible and never even had the slightest issue haha

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply don’t understand how people managed to get poisoned by these things. When I started out as a stupid 13 year old 17 years ago I handled these things in the most reckless manner possible and never even had the slightest issue haha

Not all individuals of Palythoa seem to be toxic to the same degree even if they are looking the same. Maybe the water conditions can render individuals to become more toxic. Maybe there is something like sensitization. We don´t know. Some reef aquarists get serious health problems others state they have no problems with Palythoa at all. Again others state they have no problems with Palythoa but thinking back they notice that they frequently had flu like symptoms that might have been caused by Palytoxin and decide to be more careful in the future.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I get ready to sell a batch of Purple Death Zoas.....Articles like this come out. I'll never get rid of these. :p

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what was posted in the comments but they were so triggered they closed the comments and I can't even view them.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back