Palytoxin is serious business.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of good news first. My tank recently finished cycling and I got a pair of clowns and my first two corals. One of those was a tiny frag of green and orange zoanthids. I removed them from their plug last night and glued them to a rock where I hope to start a zoanthid garden. I didn’t damage any of the heads, In fact I barely touched them because they were already attached to a rock making it easy to glue down. I even washed my hands immediately after handling them but apparently that was still enough to ruin my night. I must have touched my face at some point because I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I had an awful case of pink eye. My eye was swollen almost shut, it burned, and was bright red. I flushed it with some saline to rinse my eye out and have been using artificial tear eye drops. It’s still kind of irritated but it’s already feeling better. I guess i got lucky and learned a lesson early because I’ve heard palytoxin can get pretty serious. I knew zoanthids could potentially have palytoxin but I didn’t realize how potent that stuff is. I’m definitely wearing gloves and goggles if I handle zoas from now on.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to be insensitive, but how do you know it was palytoxin and not just some other random irritant? seems like a stretch to make that claim with no real evidence like a lab test.
Ive seen people get hives just from having their hands in a saltwater tank with corals in it. some people are much more sensitive to things than others.

Sorry that your night was crappy though.

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re pretty close to the ones on the right side. They have a bright green skirt, a bright orange ring, and a purple eye in the center as well as a purple base. From what I looked up about Palytoxin, it’s definitely more potent in palys but some zoanthids have it as well. There’s no real way to tell if they will or not.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not to be insensitive, but how do you know it was palytoxin and not just some other random irritant? seems like a stretch to make that claim with no real evidence like a lab test.
Ive seen people get hives just from having their hands in a saltwater tank with corals in it. some people are much more sensitive to things than others.

Sorry that your night was crappy though.
This was my thought also. I know zoas can be a problem but I really thought the toxin came from Palys hence the name. Not saying they are not toxic but from the thread, I am not seeing all the symptoms of paly toxin. I could be wrong I am not a doctor just Medical student.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... That is crazy. I can't help but wonder if it could have been some other irritant that got you. I think that palytoxin is only released when squeezing or cutting into them, and I also think that very few (if any?) zoas carry it... But palys do, and they're often confused with zoas

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your rough night. Sounds like a reaction to something in your system. Don't assume just the zoas. I react to many euphyllia, certain brains, aiptasia and I have had palytoxin (nasty brownish green buggers that were all over my rocks - not pleasant). I just would not want you to avoid the zoas and have it happen again. If it was that bad, make sure to wear protective gloves. Could be worse the second time.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not seeing all the symptoms of paly toxin

Palytoxin is a vasoconstrictor. Red eyes are usually caused by dilated blood vessels in the eye... I am also not a doctor, but something about it doesn't align very well, at least on the surface

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is a vasoconstrictor. Red eyes are usually caused by dilated blood vessels in the eye... I am also not a doctor, but something about it doesn't align very well, at least on the surface

I found this

Corneal punctuate epitheliopathy (CPE) refers to a group of diseases that show dot-like staining of the corneal epithelium. Patients complain of sharp pain, tearing, redness, foreign body sensation, photophobia and decreased vision.

I stand corrected! Does that sound about right?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been fragging these guys for years and I always wear gloves with goggles. One time (prior to the ppe) I was cutting up a coral and some of the plug/coral flew back into my eye. Scared the crap out of me.
I never have any issues but there are some people who are super sensitive to the toxin so what doesn’t bother the rest of us can be detrimental to them.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater is absolutely filthy. Researchers have found up to ten million viruses in a single drop of seawater. I couldn't find data for bacteria, but there are likely hundreds of thousands of those also.

Corals also produce many substances and toxins completely unrelated to palytoxin.

Considering the animals you were handling weren't even palythoa, it is much more likely that one of the above was the culprit.

I don't know why our hobby has such a fascination with palytoxin. It's dangerous, to be sure. It's not the only dangerous thing in our tanks, not by a long shot. The personal protective equipment you should be wearing anyway because of the other dangerous things in our tanks would protect you from palythoa toxins, if any are even present.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater is absolutely filthy. Researchers have found up to ten million viruses in a single drop of seawater. I couldn't find data for bacteria, but there are likely hundreds of thousands of those also.

Corals also produce many substances and toxins completely unrelated to palytoxin.

Considering the animals you were handling weren't even palythoa, it is much more likely that one of the above was the culprit.

I don't know why our hobby has such a fascination with palytoxin. It's dangerous, to be sure. It's not the only dangerous thing in our tanks, not by a long shot. The personal protective equipment you should be wearing anyway because of the other dangerous things in our tanks would protect you from palythoa toxins, if any are even present.

I agree playtixin definitely not the only dangerous thing in there my coral banded shrimp one pinched me because I ignored him while I was feeding the anemone that terd. Lol.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thought also. I know zoas can be a problem but I really thought the toxin came from Palys hence the name. Not saying they are not toxic but from the thread, I am not seeing all the symptoms of paly toxin. I could be wrong I am not a doctor just Medical student.
the line is "I'm not a doctor, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.".
:cool:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree.
funny thing.... I bought a blue ring octopus back in the 80's knowing the dangers. LFS I bought it from told me I had to pick it up when it came in. they wouldn't be taking it out of the bag. I get there and the bag has imprinted on it "DANGER" complete with skull and crossbones to the right and left.
why is it paly's don't come in a typical bag when palytoxin is one of the most toxic known?
just wondering.
:cool:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back