Palytoxin poisoning, where does it come from and how dangerous is it?

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read a few articles about palytoxin poisoning on r2r and just google. What does it exactly come from? Zoas and plays? I really don’t want to risk it lol, I recently bought some palys and now kind of want to get rid of them. I’ll include a picture, does it come from these? (Behind the torch, it’s the green paly’s)

I’m asking this at such a late time and on a whim because I always handle zoas but never palys like I just got. Wanted to know whether I should be more careful in the future

7320C747-023B-43B3-811D-84832AAAAC64.png

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also read that if they slime it’s bad? This is all new to me. I’ve seen these paly’s slime recently since I bought them with my hand in the tank, no gloves (not too smart I know) but I’m not worried about that but rather my tank itself

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The short answer is that no one knows for certain (other than palythoa grandis) which zoanthids or palythoas contain palytoxin. For the most part, unless you're actively fragging them in water with any exposed cuts/scrapes/sores or if you aerosolize the palytoxin - you're fine (this includes occasionally brushing up against them in the tank, moving them around on a rock, attaching a frag plug, etc. Gloves, respirator and goggles are always recommended when fragging corals in general.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also read that if they slime it’s bad? This is all new to me. I’ve seen these paly’s slime recently since I bought them with my hand in the tank, no gloves (not too smart I know) but I’m not worried about that but rather my tank itself
I've been "slimed" by zoanthids and palythoas many times - simply by moving frag plugs around (both with and without cuts on my fingers which I didn't happen to notice at the time). Note that I'm not going out of my way to touch or handle them - these are just instances where I moved a frag plug or rock with zoanthids or palythoas on them and they happened to brush up against my hand or fingers.

Again, if you're concerned - a pair of latex gloves when handling in the tank will alleviate any concerns.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The short answer is that no one knows for certain (other than palythoa grandis) which zoanthids or palythoas contain palytoxin. For the most part, unless you're actively fragging them in water with any exposed cuts/scrapes/sores or if you aerosolize the palytoxin - you're fine (this includes occasionally brushing up against them in the tank, moving them around on a rock, attaching a frag plug, etc. Gloves, respirator and goggles are always recommended when fragging corals in general.
Scares me. Almost makes me want to get rid of them lol, funny thing is I did cut myself 2 days ago in my tank. Accidentally brushed up against a rock and cut finger. Didn’t know these guys were potentially toxic. Will it have any harm if I do not touch them/ release stuff into the air? Lol I have no idea about this stuff!

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been "slimed" by zoanthids and palythoas many times - simply by moving frag plugs around (both with and without cuts on my fingers which I didn't happen to notice at the time). Note that I'm not going out of my way to touch or handle them - these are just instances where I moved a frag plug or rock with zoanthids or palythoas on them and they happened to brush up against my hand or fingers.

Again, if you're concerned - a pair of latex gloves when handling in the tank will alleviate any concerns.
Awesome, thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scares me. Almost makes me want to get rid of them lol, funny thing is I did cut myself 2 days ago in my tank. Accidentally brushed up against a rock and cut finger. Didn’t know these guys were potentially toxic. Will it have any harm if I do not touch them/ release stuff into the air? Lol I have no idea about this stuff!
Unless you have palythoas grandis (you don't) - you're generally not at severe risk. There's a better than even chance the palythoas in the image you posted may have palytoxins (just based on similar ones in my tank that I know do). Generally the uglier the palythoa (and occasionally zoanthid) - the more likely they are to contain them (but this isn't a certainty).

The ones in your tank will be fine - palytoxins generally aren't harmful to your reef. Again, as @monkeyCmonkeyDo and I have mentioned - personal protection equipment is your best bet if you're concerned. Probably half the corals in my tank are zoanthids or palythoas (they grow and spread like weeds).

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have palythoas grandis (you don't) - you're generally not at severe risk. There's a better than even chance the palythoas in the image you posted may have palytoxins (just based on similar ones in my tank that I know do). Generally the uglier the palythoa (and occasionally zoanthid) - the more likely they are to contain them (but this isn't a certainty).

The ones in your tank will be fine - palytoxins generally aren't harmful to your reef. Again, as @monkeyCmonkeyDo and I have mentioned - personal protection equipment is your best bet if you're concerned. Probably half the corals in my tank are zoanthids or palythoas (they grow and spread like weeds).
Awesome, thanks guys. Was curious on that topic, never heard of corals being toxic and it’s good info!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several yrs back I cut a finger deep well working on a tank. Got 3 stitches. Told them I was working in my saltwater aquarium. All they did was give me a little heavier than usual antibiotics. Said it was just I'm case
D

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like Nuclear Greens or similar. I have been poisoned by this variety. You are primarily at risk of poisoning if you handle them with bare hands in such a way to aggravate or damage them, or of you boil the rock they are on.

I have lots of zoas and I frag them barehanded without much concern. This particular variety is different. They are also a fast grower which tends to necessitate removal more frequently.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was just reading this older thread, Ive been told these are grandis. Would you agree, I collected them from the keys years ago they are very large polyp almost and inch across

Attachments

• 00E6A21E-B48C-4A67-95D5-6EE119C8A8CA.jpeg
    00E6A21E-B48C-4A67-95D5-6EE119C8A8CA.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 32

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back