OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rear pump 2 was completely dead a replacement was introduce while I decide what to do, recommendations?

1. I thought on just buying another Sicce and leave the things as they are, no fancy flows, no more cost and no control through the Apex.

2. Buy the 3 new Sicce DC pumps but I think I cannot control them with my Apex?

3. Buy 2 Ecotech Vortex and would have to buy also the Apex module to control them, this would also mean wires visible in the tank....

4. Buy another COR20 and get a triple divider to substitute the 3 current pumps.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all depends on your views on maintenance and ease of access. For me it was a pain. I understand the reasons why these systems are designed this way, but.......

Option 3. There are no wires in the tank Pancho with the Vortech’s (dont buy the Vortex versions there copies! Lol)

There is 1 wire about 6 inches on the glass (depending on depth) on the outside going up that’s it, and you can’t see it from the inside or looking into because of the reflection. Take a look at that picture on my build thread it shows exactly what they look like.

I don’t think I like option 4 in an S series, although I guess that’s basically like a closed loop system (well a bit anyway!)

If I had replaced the rear pumps, I quiet like Eheim’s as there fairly reliable but also quiet, maybe NYOS as well. But then so are the Sicce. Sorry not much help! Lol

It’s all personal choice at the end of the day of course, there are many ways to do things.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been investigating, I do want to have something closer to natural reef flow. Thay means the option to get the same type of Sicce pumps is off the table, the same goes for the Nyos Viper. Also the COR20 for the same reason. I was surprised Neptune built the COR15/20 without this capability for closed loop applications. ;Cow

This leaves me with the option of installing a manifold to either a Sicce SDC 6.0 or Vectra L2/M2. Both have the capabilities to simulate reef flows but both of them cannot be controlled by Apex. ;Eggonface

The final possibility is to use two Vortech (@SPR1968) or two Nero 5. These could be controlled by Apex but require an additional module and have the black cables on both sides in my tank which while my cabinet is white. ;Dead

I am leaning towards the Vectra or the Sicce even if they cannot be managed via Apex.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t ‘have to’ control the Vortech’s via Apex you can run them manually and remember these have all the different flow patterns. The WXM module is not expensive in the scheme of things anyway.

I don’t even ‘see’ the wire on the outside glass anymore it just blends in and the wire, apart from about 2 inches were it crosses the top of the tank, and yours is presumably white, it goes into the light wire ducting.

I did mine for maintenance issues, there’s nothing wrong with the pre existing design, it’s all personal preference.

The Vectra/Sicce would also mean you just have 1 pump to maintain rather than 3 as well, but then you don’t get the full control that Apex provides. And things to ‘play with’! Lol

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t ‘have to’ control the Vortech’s via Apex you can run them manually and remember these have all the different flow patterns. The WXM module is not expensive in the scheme of things anyway.

I don’t even ‘see’ the wire on the outside glass anymore it just blends in and the wire, apart from about 2 inches were it crosses the top of the tank, and yours is presumably white, it goes into the light wire ducting.

I did mine for maintenance issues, there’s nothing wrong with the pre existing design, it’s all personal preference.

The Vectra/Sicce would also mean you just have 1 pump to maintain rather than 3 as well, but then you don’t get the full control that Apex provides. And things to ‘play with’! Lol
Yes, using the Vectra or Sicce SDC 6.0 would make maintenance easier, would also enable reef flow simulation and would avoid the wires. IMO even without Apex I think would be a win for me. ;Couchpotato

Last edited:

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, using the Vectra or Sicce SDC 6.0 would make maintenance easier, would also enable reef flow simulation and would avoid the wires. IMO even without Apex I think would be a win for me. ;Couchpotato
Forgive any typos as its late ive been drinking grape juice and can’t see! Lol

Ive had an idea which i need to shae while I remember!

If you used the vectra etc, you could add a 4th exit hose pointed into the rear chamber to blast out all the rubbish and that would stop in building up so even less maintenance for you. Unfortunately for you ive just patented it including the US, oh and Mexico also Japan incase you get clever! Lol

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive any typos as its late ive been drinking grape juice and can’t see! Lol

Ive had an idea which i need to shae while I remember!

If you used the vectra etc, you could add a 4th exit hose pointed into the rear chamber to blast out all the rubbish and that would stop in building up so even less maintenance for you. Unfortunately for you ive just patented it including the US, oh and Mexico also Japan incase you get clever! Lol
It seems you get really inspired by the “juice” Lol

Actually is not a bad idea ! it also seems you got busy patented it even if you do not use your S-650 rear chamber... lol you just have to know you will not get any royalties from me if by “chance” this appears in my S-500.;Hilarious

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a big day, the tang triplete went in: purple, blue and yellow ! ;Woot The purple tang is another of my dream fish along with the CBB, flame angel and picasso triggerfish (I know that trigger is impossible).

I turned off the lights for 3 hours and they seem to getting along among them as they were in the LFS in the same tank and with the current fish I was concerned for the CBB but no problem so far. I expect the magnificent fox face to come next week. Originally the plan was to wait until the fox fax arrived but the LFS needed to make space.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pancho is sitting there in his satin pajamas with the triplets like Hugh Heffner.
;Hilarious ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
Post of the day Pancho I may have to start referring yo you as Hef. :)

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back