Panel LEDs provide better spread, right? Today we test the Orphek Atlantik V4 Compact to find out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo many Orphek LED reefers out there and I have to say that I love all of the tanks I see using them!

But... are we using them optimally? Today we give the Orphek Compact V4 the complete testing works to find out those optimal settings!

Fish E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panel LED's make sense from coverage and hotspot avoidance standpoints, but what doesn't makes sense is spectrum blending. Since each wavelength of LED is only placed at certain positions on the panel, is it only the area generally beneath that receives the wavelength? How does the whole tank receive the entirety of available spectrum? Perhaps only panels with diffusers like the Radion achieve some blending. Maybe the video will answer this.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the future of led lighting will be panel, but have many small clusters for blending. Orphek uses dual chip leds, I think as we advance will see the whole spectrum clustered but in a orphek style layout.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Orphek does it right. Never had nicer color and growth until I went Orphek

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What programming / channel percentages are you running?
I have 5 and spectrums vary but most are focused on blue with various mixes of purple/red/green and the added white over the areas with SPS

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panel LED's make sense from coverage and hotspot avoidance standpoints, but what doesn't makes sense is spectrum blending. Since each wavelength of LED is only placed at certain positions on the panel, is it only the area generally beneath that receives the wavelength? How does the whole tank receive the entirety of available spectrum? Perhaps only panels with diffusers like the Radion achieve some blending. Maybe the video will answer this.
Via multiples of the same spectrum LEDs over the panel. The Orpheks are also duel diodes.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the future of led lighting will be panel, but have many small clusters for blending. Orphek uses dual chip leds, I think as we advance will see the whole spectrum clustered but in a orphek style layout.
The likes of Ecotech have had plenty of time to go to larger panel lights but are doing just about everything they can to resit it.

Fish E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Via multiples of the same spectrum LEDs over the panel. The Orpheks are also duel diodes.

Makes sense, but if you look at the diode layout, the 470nm for example, is found in all four corners and down the middle. Does that wavelength have enough spread to cover the areas between?

2100804-orphek-alantik-led-specifications_1_4.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, but if you look at the diode layout, the 470nm for example, is found in all four corners and down the middle. Does that wavelength have enough spread to cover the areas between?

2100804-orphek-alantik-led-specifications_1_4.jpg
Well one way of looking at it is the truth of the pudding etc. You also have to consider the lenses of course ong with the height which is 16" so higher than say most Radions are fitted I would think.
Nobody is suggesting the Atlantic's are perfect but they are more perfect than the majority if not all LED clumped together LEDs. You could of course fit a diffuser to the Orpheks but am not sure if they would make such a difference. Would be worth trying I guess if only to see but then you would need some decent equipment to measure the mixing and spread along with PAR.

Fish E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is suggesting the Atlantic's are perfect but they are more perfect than the majority if not all LED clumped together LEDs.

That statement pretty much answers my concerns. Thank you. :cool:

U

User1

View Badges
Mounting height is going to be a deal breaker for some. Doesn't take away from light being effective but I personally am not a fan of mounting requirements.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting height is going to be a deal breaker for some. Doesn't take away from light being effective but I personally am not a fan of mounting requirements.

Yeah no doubt it will be an issue for some. I personally love how high the orpheks mount, for rimless tanks it's great getting that unobstructed top down view and the orpheks somehow do a great job of not having light spill. I have to hand it to them for that feature since we sit next to the tank, but for sure needing them that high isn't for all.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no doubt it will be an issue for some. I personally love how high the orpheks mount, for rimless tanks it's great getting that unobstructed top down view and the orpheks somehow do a great job of not having light spill. I have to hand it to them for that feature since we sit next to the tank, but for sure needing them that high isn't for all.
Mine are 10" off the waters surface. 2 x Atlantic's on a 5' long.

U

User1

View Badges

I do agree.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running mine about 14" above my waterbox 100.3 - 3 foot long tank. I picked that hight as it was just when the light started to spill over the edges. 24" deep and the bottom gets ~300 par. Full size not compact.

Side shot and 2 month acro growth.
F52A5A26-78DB-440D-A6C8-0578CA082EF2.jpeg
5634074F-CBA4-4633-B47E-F1F2599869CC.jpeg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back