306bc3cfb0f3a3d86644fea29268b879.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R by the way..
That photo reminded me of a talk about buying fish I have done a few times.
A panther grouper was an example of a fish that while cute when small, get way to big for our reefs. An adult panther grouper should be in a tank much larger than 500 gallons. 1000 being closer to better.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh! That was an expensive meal. Panthers are excellent predators & from my experience, it’s best kept with equally aggressive predators that are equipped with a defense mechanism like a rabbit fish, lion fish, triggers, porcupine puffer, larger parrot wrasse fish, eels, zebrasoma tangs, large ornamental angel fish & other groupers. Predatory tanks are pretty neat to keep but require a whole other set of tools & knowledge to keep tank mates aggression at a minimum. Best advice I was ever given was to read up on a fish I really liked & find out who can get along with it.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes! As Ben (@ndrwater) said, those groupers get huge, and pretty much anything available ends up a snack.

OP
OP
abreifmanup

abreifmanup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh! That was an expensive meal. Panthers are excellent predators & from my experience, it’s best kept with equally aggressive predators that are equipped with a defense mechanism like a rabbit fish, lion fish, triggers, porcupine puffer, larger parrot wrasse fish, eels, zebrasoma tangs, large ornamental angel fish & other groupers. Predatory tanks are pretty neat to keep but require a whole other set of tools & knowledge to keep tank mates aggression at a minimum. Best advice I was ever given was to read up on a fish I really liked & find out who can get along with it.
However thanks for the input. Another question one of you may be able to answer is what kind of small live fish can I use to feed my panther grouper , he seems fixated on hunting live prey and fresh water goldfish or guppies die too fast when thrown in a salt water system... so... any no expensive recommendations ?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However thanks for the input. Another question one of you may be able to answer is what kind of small live fish can I use to feed my panther grouper , he seems fixated on hunting live prey and fresh water goldfish or guppies die too fast when thrown in a salt water system... so... any no expensive recommendations ?
Ibhave a wartskin angler that I feed ghost shrimp. They don't last forever, but they are brackish and last long enough to be dinner.. i get mine 5 for $1 at my LFS

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not called Panther groupers for anything.:) They must be housed with fish that are large and they can get a couple of feet in size.

OP
OP
abreifmanup

abreifmanup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not called Panther groupers for anything.:) They must be housed with fish that are large and they can get a couple of feet in size.
Well mine looks more like a dalmatian grouper , I named him Pongo

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Train it to eat prepared foods saltwater fish or shrimp. While freshwater crusteations has a simililar nutritional profile to saltwater animals, freshwater fish do not, and do not make a good long or mid term food for saltwater predators.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back