Papai Builds a Reef! - From FW Glow Fish to Planted Tanks to 75 gal Reef w/ Sump - Finally!

Papai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, first things first, for those of you wondering, Papai means Dad in Portuguese, my wife is Brazilian and our little 5 year old calls me Papai. My background is Cuban so not to far off from Papa, the Spanish version. LOL.

Ok, here's the reef back story . . . 5 year old goes to PetSmart with me and asks for Glow Fish, we had ZERO aquariums at the time. "Honey, if we get Glow Fish we have to get a FW tank, if we get a FW tank, we can never buy a Nemo or Dory. You sure you want Glow Fish?" 5 Yr Old - "Yes, I want Glow Fish, can we buy Glow Fish?" - Thanks PetSmart! So we bought and started a TopFin 36 gal bow-front FW tank with live plants, an under-gravel filter, Glow Fish, Guppies a Red Tailed Shark and a couple of Mystery snails.

Had FW tanks when I was younger, but always with plastic plants and under-gravel filters. So I buy everything like I did before except my wife says, "Say, why don't you get real plants instead?" Ok, please the 5 year old, please my wife! Happy wife, happy life right? So, start the tank, with Glow Fish, under-gravel filter and live plants.

Fast forward - study and learn a lot about planted tanks. Under-gravel filters are not good for planted tanks - roots get clogged underneath. Removed under-gravel filter, switched to canister filter, changed substrate, got better lights and added CO2 injection. Guppies had lots of fry (babies), set-up another aquarium (20 Gal FW) for the guppies, also planted with High light and CO2 injection. Guppies got bigger, added Dalmation Molly's to the 20 Gal and moved the Glow-Fish Over to join them, plus a Cory and some shrimp. Got cooler stock for the 36 gal including a Red Spotted Sevrum, Giant Danios, Arulious Barbs and a Couple peaceful Cichlids. Along the way had massive explosion of snails, set up small 10 Gal FW tank just for the snails! Next . . .

5 Year old says, "Papai, I like the Glow Fish, but can I have a Nemo and a Dory and an Anemone when I turn six?" This is what Papai wanted all along so . . . "Yes!" - And here we go!

Following will be our journey to our first reef tank - a 75 gal MarineLand I'll drill for an overflow with a 25 gal sump! I look forward to sharing and learning as we go! Attaching pics of the first 3 FW tanks that got us going!

S6czLmJiRPKXSJJtTW1Xog.jpg
fullsizeoutput_593e.jpeg

UhTtm2MKR3a8iV4WEZGdgA.jpg

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the deep end of reefing! It's both a challenging and rewarding hobby, just be realistic about the time and effort you have to put in there aren't any short cuts in this saltwater hobby.

With that said you're in a great community, if you have any questions post it in a thread tons of people here to help you on your journey. I can't wait to see the future build!

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Papai

Papai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the deep end of reefing! It's both a challenging and rewarding hobby, just be realistic about the time and effort you have to put in there aren't any short cuts in this saltwater hobby.

With that said you're in a great community, if you have any questions post it in a thread tons of people here to help you on your journey. I can't wait to see the future build!

giphy.gif
Thanks for the kind welcome! I'll be sure to keep my thread updated. Cheers for now!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back