Par for 75 gallon tank with hydras

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Recently I picked up 2 hydra 32s for my 75 gallon tank, I was using a simple blue/white led light strip. they are mounted 12 inches off the water with 2 hms mounting kits, I also have a top on my tank that might diffuse the light a little bit. Lunar is running to, I have the moonlight at night set to 6%. The lights are spaced evenly form the edge of the tank, but I did watch a BRS video saying that the should be closer to the edge then you think, should I move them farther apart? The light intensity is temporary, I think that I am going to rent/buy a par meter to really see what settings I need. This leads me to my question: What par range should I aim for? I would like to have my tank be a mixed reef, but I would like to hear people's opinions on what they think is best. also, I can move/take out that piece of live rock on the top of the tank. Thanks
IMG-1411.PNG

IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6079.JPG

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have lots of shadowing. I have 3 on my 75 with a more cubed shape. I even ordered some reefbreeder lumen bars to get more coverage.

shading is important with sps. Sps would appreciate 200+. Your lps and softies can range from 30-200 par.

par meter will give you a solid understanding of what your lights can do before you make changes.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light being blocked so the sps don’t get all the light they need. Can be avoided by having more LEDs to spread it out. LEDs are more focused than a sheet of T5 light over the tank. Most sps keepers are pro T5 with LEDs to get the best of both. I personally don’t have a desire to use T5 so I added more LEDs and I’m happy with that choice. Corals are really encrusting, growing, and coloring up better since I added the 3rd hydra. Reefbreeders will be here Tuesday
6969C7DC-C872-4BBF-A412-19E2D8E86844.jpeg

Most recent pic from last night. I’ll be in there all day finalizing my filtration

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I understand now, what would be doing the shadowing? is there anything that I should do about it besides buying more lights? You tank looks amazing by the way

Thanks

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the same thing you encounter with everyday light. If you put your hand over a flashlight the light is blocked. If you put your hand over a T5 you won’t notice because the light is spread out over the length of the bulb. Led is like a flashlight and the rocks and large corals can obstruct that easy. Nothing you have to deal with now but will be off you have success

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back