Par meter. When should i do a measure during the day

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you measure your par during pick hour when the lights are at their most intese or do you measure were the light is most of the day. My lights have this scheduled in the picture i attached, what time would you recommend i test my par?
Screenshot_20220509-215021_myAI.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you answer is all of the above. You want your peak PAR measurement to assure aren't burning coral but if that peak par only exists for 15 minutes it doesn't mean much......in which case you would want the PAR levels of where your lights spend the most time.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you answer is all of the above. You want your peak PAR measurement to assure aren't burning coral but if that peak par only exists for 15 minutes it doesn't mean much......in which case you would want the PAR levels of where your lights spend the most time.
If per say my par is 100 at a certain place during most of the time, however at peak hours it reaches 120,if i increase it to 120 right away before reaching peak and the peak hour reaches 140 ,will that cause any problems. How much of an increase in par can corals take?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If per say my par is 100 at a certain place during most of the time, however at peak hours it reaches 120,if i increase it to 120 right away before reaching peak and the peak hour reaches 140 ,will that cause any problems. How much of an increase in par can corals take?
Depends on the type of coral, coral placement, and types of lights......unfortunately lol. T5s for example are much more forgiving with PAR increases while LEDs, in my experience, can only be increased by small amounts over longer periods of time (2-5% weekly). Only increasing by 20 PAR (using your example) shouldn't have too much of an impact on any but the most sensitive coral.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the type of coral, coral placement, and types of lights......unfortunately lol. T5s for example are much more forgiving with PAR increases while LEDs, in my experience, can only be increased by small amounts over longer periods of time (2-5% weekly). Only increasing by 20 PAR (using your example) shouldn't have too much of an impact on any but the most sensitive coral.
Thank you! I can place an acclimation period on the app. My reef is mostly lps only a monti in it. I have most 150 par and average of 100 par all over

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back