par rating for corals

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bought a Fluval 3.0 32 watt with par values at 3”-376, 6”-222, 12”-90 18” 47, question is can i grow corals with this light , if so, what type, and would it be good enough for them to grow and be healthy, next question is if i add another of the same kind does it double the par value, the price for another same kind is $150, if not should i try to sell this one and buy another, what brand and strength. Figuring i could sell this one at 50% that would give me $75 towards another, my tank is 30 gal 18” deep, thanks

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two will double the PAR, well, sort of. The areas will be separated some so the coverage will increase and the PAR wont quite double. Looks like the PAR levels you're getting are acceptable for just about anything you'd want to grow; corals that demand higher lighting levels will need to be placed toward the top with lower light demanding corals will be placed at the bottom. When you place a coral, be mindful of it's shape when it grows out so that you dont inadveratantly shade corals below. Keep thin branching types up top and plating ones toward the bottom (provided there is enough light down there for them). I'm not familiar with that array's spectrum though.

Edit: What did you use to measure PAR?

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two will double the PAR, well, sort of. The areas will be separated some so the coverage will increase and the PAR wont quite double. Looks like the PAR levels you're getting are acceptable for just about anything you'd want to grow; corals that demand higher lighting levels will need to be placed toward the top with lower light demanding corals will be placed at the bottom. When you place a coral, be mindful of it's shape when it grows out so that you dont inadveratantly shade corals below. Keep thin branching types up top and plating ones toward the bottom (provided there is enough light down there for them). I'm not familiar with that array's spectrum though.

Edit: What did you use to measure PAR?
It was listed on the side of the box

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bought a Fluval 3.0 32 watt with par values at 3”-376, 6”-222, 12”-90 18” 47, question is can i grow corals with this light , if so, what type, and would it be good enough for them to grow and be healthy, next question is if i add another of the same kind does it double the par value, the price for another same kind is $150, if not should i try to sell this one and buy another, what brand and strength. Figuring i could sell this one at 50% that would give me $75 towards another, my tank is 30 gal 18” deep, thanks
I gues i should have asked first, if anyone was using one of these lights and if so, what kind of corals they have and what kind of luck they are having

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone did a self review here on the Fluval Marine 3.0.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back