PAR readings 21LED ReefBarPros 2x "Blue Heavy" budget light over Fluval Evo 13.5g

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am sharing my PAR readings on an Apogee par meter lent to me by a local reefer. Specs below:

Tank: Fluval Evo 13.5g
Lights: 2x ReefBarPro "Blue Heavy" 20" bars that are actually 18" (from 21LEDusa)
Positioning of the bars:
PXL_20221016_224530342.jpg

PXL_20221016_224539606.jpg

Here are pictures of the tank without PAR readings/labels:
PXL_20221016_211604894.MP.jpg

PXL_20221016_211613569.MP.jpg

PXL_20221016_211706908.jpg

Here is the labeling of the corals/nems in this tank:
Slide1.png

Slide2.png

Slide3.png

The lights have 2 channels each. Here are the specs of each bar, copied directly from 21LEDusa (link):
This listing is for the BLUE HEAVY 20 inch ReefBar Pro with 20 3W Bridgelux LEDs:
9x 445nm Actinic Blue
3x 465nm Aqua Blue
2x 423nm UV
4x 12,000K White
12k- 12000k bluish white For beautiful viewing color and High Brightness including several important spectrums
423 nm UV Purple just at one peak of Chlorophyll A
445 nm Royal Blue at the happy medium of Chlorophyll A and B
465 nm Light Aqua Blue just at one peak of Chlorophyll B

The two channels can be programmed with a controller. Channel 1 is all of the 445nm Actinic Blue LEDs. Channel 2 is the other blues/UV/White.

I measured the PAR at 3 settings. Tested settings were:
1. 70% Channel 1 (Actinic Blue), 25% Channel 2 (Aqua Blue/UV/White) -- this is my current setting ramping up at 7:30am and ramping down at 6:30pm. It was just a guestimate of what my corals need and what looked nice.
2. 85% Channel 1, 50% Channel 2
3. 100% Channel 1, 100% Channel 2

Where I measured:
1. All around the perimeter of the tank at the sand bed, middle and the top (first reading 1); sand bed and middle front only (reading 2) and just sand bed front only (reading 3)
2. Around the corals/nems listed in the above pictures and tops of rocks/empty spaces

Drum roll for PAR readings:

Reading 1
Slide4.png

Slide5.png

Slide6.png

Reading 2
Slide7.png

Slide8.png

Reading 3
Slide9.png

Slide10.png

Conclusions:
These bars seem to have quite good penetration and can easily achieve up to 200 PAR on the sand bed with 2 bars. There are definitely some hot spots, and you can tell that they are where the spread of the two bars overlap the most, but they don't hit the highest at the top of the rocks (although still high at the top), more at the middle. At $75 apiece and an inexpensive controller, these definitely classify in the budget range of lights and are convenient for tanks that would do best with a bar across them or restrictions on lights high above them. A single bar is definitely putting out more PAR than the comparable Fluval Marine 3.0 bar, which I had previously. Using Photone app a long time ago, I was getting about 50% higher uncalibrated PAR readings on the single ReefBarPro over the Fluval Marine 3.0. With 2x ReefBarPro bars on a Fluval Evo 13.5g, I think you can achieve most of your LPS and maybe SPS needs. I am unable to grow SPS in this tank, so I don't know for sure (dirty water, difficulty with algae, etc).

FYI, I am following up this post with a coral-specific post to get advice from all of you fine folks, since you can see that there is a lot of variation in the PAR readings, and what would be best for my range of LPS, softies and RFAs is not entirely clear to me.

I hope this is helpful to some people. Thanks, and I'm happy to discuss!
Joe

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested in giving me some advice on my light settings, please check out my Evo build thread, most recent post, where I will be soliciting advice on what to do next!

last post:

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't have time to discuss this yesterday, but there are 3-4 other lights that might be worth comparing, and I only have a hypothesis as to how they will perform, since I don't own them or plan to buy them:

1. Current USA Orbit Marine LED bars -- I hypothesize that this bar will work somewhere between a Fluval Marine 3.0 and the ReefBarPros I tested, because they have the smaller LED diodes (I think 0.25 watts apiece), and the 3 watt diodes seem to penetrate much better, although less spread.

2. ReefBrite XHO or Lumi lites -- I hypothesize that these will give similar or slightly better PAR than the ReefBarPros. There is a good BRS video on them, but they use the blue/white hanging higher with 5 bars angled inwards. I think these are powerful lights. @vetteguy53081 has posted on these lights (as well as the next).

3. Orphek OR3 bars -- I also hypothesize that these will have higher PAR output then the rest, but of course coming at a premium cost. Orphek seems to have put very good attention to detail when it comes to the spectrum of their lights. I think they might even have 5 watt diodes now. Again, @vetteguy53081 has posted about these in the past.

4. QuantaPro lights -- I know very little about these lights, except that they are becoming popular and are supposed to cost a bit less than ReefBrite/Orphek. Might perform better.

The problem with Oprhek and Quanta are that their smallest bars are 24", and the ideal length for a Fluval Evo 13.5g is an 18" bar. Reefbrite XHOs also come in a 15" version, which might be serviceable with you run multiple bars raised a bit above the tank, but then you have the issue of needing raised lights again, where the Fluval Marine 3.0, Current USA Orbit Marine bar, and the ReefBarPros fit right on top.

Hope this is helpful for people looking to upgrade their stock lights on the Fluval Evo 13.5g!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Current - NOPE - trust me

# 2 and # 3 are good choices-price point and performance

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running these lights on my 65 Gallon for a couple years now, with zero problems. The first lights I got from them were just the Reef Strips, that I mounted inside a PVC Rain Gutter. Great lights, corals grow like mad. Did you get the SunSetter Control? To me it’s great, as I don’t want a light that’s on my WiFi or Bluetooth. Two 44” ReefBar Pros, are on my 120 Gallon Build, I’ll probably go with Four total, plus a couple blue strips on either side of the in tank overflow box.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running these lights on my 65 Gallon for a couple years now, with zero problems. The first lights I got from them were just the Reef Strips, that I mounted inside a PVC Rain Gutter. Great lights, corals grow like mad. Did you get the SunSetter Control? To me it’s great, as I don’t want a light that’s on my WiFi or Bluetooth. Two 44” ReefBar Pros, are on my 120 Gallon Build, I’ll probably go with Four total, plus a couple blue strips on either side of the in tank overflow box.
Think 4 bars ought to cover all of your needs. It would be nice if you could vary the order of the Channel 2 white/UV/aqua blue LEDs to have more blended coverage with multiple bars.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 36” and 44” ReefBar Pro’s you have to have a SunSetter Control on each oe, due to the Wattage. So with Four, I would have Four SunSetters. Got a lot of options with that set up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back