PAR Readings from Sunpower

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by cgaubuchon, Dec 1, 2015.

1. swk

swk Well-Known Member

Crazy amount of light. My favorite light for sps hands down.

2. Addicted2ACRO's

Addicted2ACRO's Well-Known Member

The sand bed is at about 22" from the water surface. In your opinion at what height from the water surface should I mount my ATI T5 8x80w fixture? The majority of my Acros are at midway to near top.
    Thanks

3. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

If your running zeo most deffinitly keep it about 11 inches from the top, just make sure non of the acros are less then about a footnd a half from the fixture for start and allow them to grow into it, ive always kept mine 30 inches from the bed

4. Addicted2ACRO's

I'm not running Zeo, would that make a difference?

5. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Withh zeo it kinda burns them eazyer without acclimating the corals to your lighting

6. Addicted2ACRO's

I'm probably going to start my lights up higher than normally for a week or so to acclimate corals, then gradually move them closer

7. swk

swk Well-Known Member

Place the lights where it illuminates the tank well. Too high and you'll be lighting outside the tank. Too low and you may not cover the entire area desired. Instead of playing with the height of the fixture, you can also shorten or lengthen the photoperiod as well. Just another tool to use to acclimate the corals if you have issues.

8. twilliard

twilliard Winter break! well on my way to being an I.T. PRO R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

@drstratton
    You may find this information useful with your new lamps

drstratton likes this.
  9. Addicted2ACRO's

Thank you SWK. I just found out today ( if you've been following along) ATI just had their shipment pass thru Customs today.
    I should be getting my New fixture next week. Ya hoooooo

10. swk

swk Well-Known Member

Sweet! I swear the 2 things that made the biggest positive impact on my sps tank were, 1 - switching from black box LEDs to t5 lighting and 2 - switching from 2 part to a calcium reactor.

11. drstratton

drstratton Valuable Member

Great information! I have a 75g tank and my light is a Nova Extreme 48" T-5 8x54w. I just ordered new bulbs for it and I'm thinking of adding led strips on both sides. From what I can understand of all of this, I think I should have sufficient par.

12. Addicted2ACRO's

I also have a 5ft. Reefbrite Blue I was told would be a good idea to add. Your thoughts? I was considering mounting it along the front part of the tank. Using the following bulb combination - 4 Blue Plus, 3 True Actinic and 1 Purple Plus or substite a Coral Plus or AquaBlue Special somewhere

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  13. Sabellafella

Man all i can say is if your going with an ati fixture reefbrites is a must, deffinitly dont need really needthe tru actinics because reef brites actinic blue is one of the best looking supplemant all blue plus with 2 coral and a purple is perfect, well with the actinics and reef brite will be a coral pop overload lolol

Rodmad4 likes this.
  14. Addicted2ACRO's

Thanks for the advice dude. Can't wait to see what this is going to look like

15. Addicted2ACRO's

So you don't think I'll need the AquaBlue Special?

16. BryanS4

BryanS4 Well-Known Member

I got my hands on our clubs par meter today and just started testing a 6x80.

My fixture is 10" awl and at 10" below I'm getting 460 and on the sand bed 240. Tank is a 125.

3 blue plus, 2 coral plus and purple plus.

I'll take more readings tomorrow, have folks coming over in a few.

Sabellafella likes this.
  17. Sabellafella

You can mount to ati fixture, theres 2 screws on the fixture you could attach your reefbrite with

18. Addicted2ACRO's

Cool, didn't know. Thanks Bro

19. Sabellafella

Im running a test tomorrow for reef2reef to have a reference to par , i took readings from a regular sunpower 48inch 6 bulb and from a dimmable 48 6 bulbs , im also going to take readings with different channels, both reefbrites, dimmable at 50% throughout a 60 ×18×20 tank, im going to post in this thread is that ok? The thread tags are par an sunpower so hopefully people who are looking can get an idea

20. cgaubuchon

cgaubuchon Active Member

As OP I'm cool with you posting it here but I feel like it would be more beneficial to create a new post with more detailed information.

Sabellafella likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted