Par Recommendation for specific species or coral

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get my tank situated correctly for each coral that needs certain amount of light. I now sticks need pretty high par and zoas need lower par...but what ranges do the following corals need in general?

Zoas
Acans
Acro
Digi
Frogspawn
Torch
Hammer
Scoly
Plate
Mushrooms

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm...anyone on the #reefsquad got some specific numbers? IME all of those do fine in >200 PAR. Most of them are fine with 100-80ish. If I had to give a target Par on them, I'd probably say 100-150, but they're pretty forgiving.

It's also worth noting that many of those do fine in higher PAR levels too. For example, many zoas, digis, and euphyllia can do well in higher light or lower light...they aren't necessarily picky.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't give specific par numbers for each, but here is a helpful (hopefully helpful) chart you can refer to. In the spirit of full disclosure, I am not the author of this document. I wish I remembered where I got it to offer the proper credit.

Attachments

• Coral Chart.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 9,930

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get my tank situated correctly for each coral that needs certain amount of light. I now sticks need pretty high par and zoas need lower par...but what ranges do the following corals need in general?

Zoas
Acans
Acro
Digi
Frogspawn
Torch
Hammer
Scoly
Plate
Mushrooms

Zoas Medium to low a little overcast and so now and then a thundershower.
Acans Medium to low, not sure if they like the thunder.
Acro low to medium and high not longer out the water than 30min in low tie
Digi medium to high
Frogspawn low to medium
Torch low to medium
Hammer low to medium
Scoly low to medium
Plate medium to high
Mushrooms low to medium.

I didn't give you any PAR as it different for anyone and it all depends what kind of light you run and color combo.
IMO you just have to try out which spot suits best for your coral but with what I mentioned you have a idea.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas Medium to low a little overcast and so now and then a thundershower.
Acans Medium to low, not sure if they like the thunder.
Acro low to medium and high not longer out the water than 30min in low tie
Digi medium to high
Frogspawn low to medium
Torch low to medium
Hammer low to medium
Scoly low to medium
Plate medium to high
Mushrooms low to medium.

I didn't give you any PAR as it different for anyone and it all depends what kind of light you run and color combo.
IMO you just have to try out which spot suits best for your coral but with what I mentioned you have a idea.

I was just looking for approximate par, I have 3 250 watt mh pendants, 2 ai primes, 2 8 bulb t5 fixtures, led black box, T247 led, lol I can use pretty much any combo.
I generally have an idea on par numbers. Thanks.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking for approximate par, I have 3 250 watt mh pendants, 2 ai primes, 2 8 bulb t5 fixtures, led black box, T247 led, lol I can use pretty much any combo.
I generally have an idea on par numbers. Thanks.

I would go for the 8 bulb T5 fixure.
Not sure what size tank we talking of course but I have used from T12/VHO 40 years ago to in the last 15 year MH, AI, Radions and now four years ATI hybrid, that last one I got everything growing in my tank and top par 1" under the water was 600.

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these (if not all) van adopt to majorly different conditions. For example I have the same coral (from one colony) in 500 PAR at the top of my reef and at 120 PAR at the bottom. The one on the top grows a little faster and have a DIFFERENT color than it's pair. Still both of them are colorful. The one in the high PAR is light green while the one at the bottom is dark green.
Even most of the acroporas can do well in 100-150 PAR.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the 8 bulb T5 fixure.
Not sure what size tank we talking of course but I have used from T12/VHO 40 years ago to in the last 15 year MH, AI, Radions and now four years ATI hybrid, that last one I got everything growing in my tank and top par 1" under the water was 600.

40 gallon right now, but will be upgrading to a 85 gallon tank.
Im using the 8 bulb t5 with all ati bulbs with the 2 AI primes just to see a little pop when i want to.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these (if not all) van adopt to majorly different conditions. For example I have the same coral (from one colony) in 500 PAR at the top of my reef and at 120 PAR at the bottom. The one on the top grows a little faster and have a DIFFERENT color than it's pair. Still both of them are colorful. The one in the high PAR is light green while the one at the bottom is dark green.
Even most of the acroporas can do well in 100-150 PAR.

I have all my corals lined up where I believe they should be, Sps up top, zoas, acans, mushrooms down below. I just wanted to fine tune the par levels since I just picked up a par meter.
Thanks

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon right now, but will be upgrading to a 85 gallon tank.
Im using the 8 bulb t5 with all ati bulbs with the 2 AI primes just to see a little pop when i want to.

I like that.
Look into Giesemann bulbs as when you ready for replacements.
They are a little deeper and richer in color and less fade out the corals.

DSC_0041-L.jpg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm a little late to this party... See here for general recommendations:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/3/aafeature1
Further info on minimum and maximum light requirements:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/11/aafeature
And if you're really hardcore, cross reference zoox types mentioned above in this article:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2016/2/aafeature
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks. This is perfect!!!

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @dbl

Do you have a copy of this document with working links or hovering functions? I'd like to get a breakdown of what's considered Low, Low to Moderate, Moderate, etc. for Lighting and Current.

I can't give specific par numbers for each, but here is a helpful (hopefully helpful) chart you can refer to. In the spirit of full disclosure, I am not the author of this document. I wish I remembered where I got it to offer the proper credit.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @dbl

Do you have a copy of this document with working links or hovering functions? I'd like to get a breakdown of what's considered Low, Low to Moderate, Moderate, etc. for Lighting and Current.

I sent you a PM.

J’s reefreturn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using LED’s with a full spectrum like Aqua-illumination/Radion/Orphek/GHL.

Zoas - 50 - 200, if they want more light they will extend towards it, if too much they will close up not be happy. Some like more than others
Acans - same as Zoas, Acans can take some good light but happiest I see them is low light like 100 par and fed well.
Acro - ranges a lot but strong light such as 250 par to 350par. Important for Acros: If nutrients are really low then lower light, they burn easy (bleach). On that note, Acros hate concentrated light in my experience, good even spectrum blending is the best. Some LED’s point straight down, others that blend well are typically set high above the tank and pricey aka Radion, Orphek, GHL.
Digi - Mine does well at 180-200 par, notice in the really high par ranges they don’t love it, lose color.
Frogspawn - 80 - 150 lower light lower flow
Torch - mine are 100 par but can be okay in 150 - 200 (wouldn’t push it)
Hammer - same as frogspawn
Scoly - low light, 75 to 120
Plate - varies greatly between type
Mushrooms - your garage lightbulb is enough. Jk, I would start lower 50-75 and move up if need be. People say ricordias can take high light but mine sit under shade and don’t like bright light.

blteague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi David, Could you send me a copy with the links. I'm about to adjust the par in my tank and I think this would me very useful. Thank you

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back